Number of Records Not Being Displayed in Split Form's Navigation Buttons (1 Viewer)

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:34
I deleted several records form that table.
I don't know. If I open the form frmContactsNotWorking it does not display the number of records.

Gasman your making me hungry!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:34
I deleted several records form that table.
I don't know. If I open the form frmContactsNotWorking it does not display the number of records.

Gasman your making me hungry!
Hi James. Is this in response to me? I wasn't sure. When you opened the file I posted, did it work or not?

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
Yes it worked fine.
Also if I set the RecordSource in the onload in works.

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry 'bout the delay. I got some posts mixed up.Please open this one and let us know what you think.
What did you do to get this to work?
For days I opened this form an another form that worked in design view and went back and forth to compare properties.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
What did you do to get this to work?
For days I opened this form an another form that worked in design view and went back and forth to compare properties.
Hi. That's why I asked for you to provide the same information to us, so we can do the same thing. I also compared the two forms and found no obvious difference between the two that would explain the different behaviors. So, I had to do a little scientific experiment.

My first thought was maybe the form could be corrupt. So, I created a new split form based on the same table; however, the problem was still there. Next, maybe the table or the db file is corrupt, so I exported the table to a new/different database and tried again - same result. Okay, perhaps the corrupted table got imported as corrupt as well, so I created a new table in design view to copy your table structure and then inserted the records from your table. Sadly, the problem persisted. So, one last check... I created a totally different table and added completely different data to match or exceed the number of records in your table, just to eliminate that as a suspect. It worked!

At this point, I suspected it must be about your table's data. So, in a series of trials and errors, I started out by emptying your original table and then slowly added the original records one at a time, checking the split form after each record was added. Everything worked until I got to record ID 323. So, through a process of elimination, I narrowed it down to the set of records from 323 to 339. Meaning, if you remove those records from your table right now, the split form should start to work normally.

At this point, the experiment is not finished. I didn't have time yesterday to narrow it down further to see what' so special about those records to make the split form not work properly. If I find out, I'll let you know. If you know the reason, being you're more familiar with your data than I am, then please let us know.

I hope that explains what I did. Cheers!

Last edited:

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
Yes this helped much. As far as the table is concerned, I unlinked it and relinked, I imported it directly into my db.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes this helped much. As far as the table is concerned, I unlinked it and relinked, I imported it directly into my db.
I could be wrong; but as far as I can tell, it's not the table, it's the data. I was looking for "weird" characters and things like that, but there was nothing obvious when I checked.

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
I don't quite understand. I don't see a record ID 323.
Am I missing something?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I don't quite understand. I don't see a record ID 323.
Am I missing something?
Please clarify... You don't see it in your original table, or you don't see it in the file I posted?

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
The ContactID number 323 shows up in the original table but not in the files you sent me.
Not sure if it matters, there is a duplicate Listing at 323. The duplicate is 325.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The ContactID number 323 shows up in the original table but not in the files you sent me.
Not sure if it matters, there is a duplicate Listing at 323. The duplicate is 325.
Okay, thanks for clarifying. As I said in my earlier post, your original form did not work because of those records, which is why I deleted them from my version, which you verified now works. So, I am saying if you delete the same records from your table, then your original split form that wasn't working should now start working. Have you given that a try yet? Make sure you have a backup copy first.

It doesn't matter if the records were duplicates of each other. Since I was not familiar with your data, I could only go by the ID number. If you delete those 13 records from your original table, then your split form should start working as normal.

At this point, I am not sure if all 13 are bad records, or if there's only one bad record within those 13. Like I said earlier, I didn't have time to check each one of them yet. I'll let you know later if I get a chance to do that and if I find anything definitive to explain the cause of the problem.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I'm assuming I can add the deleted records back in?
That would certainly be an experiment you can conduct and I encourage. However, could you please confirm for us that by deleting those range of records from your original database that your original split form also started working properly?

I am also planning on reviewing those suspect records by adding them back in one at a time. I just didn't have any additional time earlier to conduct more experiments.

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
Ok, but I'll be deleting 170 records of 214 records.
That leaves me 44 records.

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
There's 214 records in the table.
I open the datasheet and sort lowest to highest on the ID field.
I select ID 323 and the navigation buttons report record 44 of 214.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
There's 214 records in the table.
I open the datasheet and sort lowest to highest on the ID field.
I select ID 323 and the navigation buttons report record 44 of 214.
LOL. Sounds like you may have missed my detailed post #25. Did you have any idea why I kept saying 13 (bad) records? :)

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
LOL. Sounds like you may have missed my detailed post #25. Did you have any idea why I kept saying 13 (bad) records? :)
I didn't miss it I misunderstood it.
I deleted the IDs from 323 to 339 and it still not displaying the number of records.
It did delete 13 records leaving a total of 201.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I didn't miss it I misunderstood it.
I deleted the IDs from 323 to 339 and it still not displaying the number of records.
It did delete 13 records leaving a total of 201.
I see. I would suggest the following experiment. Download the latest sample db you posted in #15. In that db, delete those 13 records and check if the split form works or not. If it doesn't, there may also be a combination of your machine setup plus the database itself. For example, when I downloaded that same db, I can duplicate your problem. After I deleted the suspect records, it started working for me. I then uploaded that same, but modified, file in post #16, and you said it was working for you. So, if you duplicate the steps I took using the same file I used, and it still didn't work, then the only difference left is yours and my machine.

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
I see. I would suggest the following experiment. Download the latest sample db you posted in #15. In that db, delete those 13 records and check if the split form works or not. If it doesn't, there may also be a combination of your machine setup plus the database itself. For example, when I downloaded that same db, I can duplicate your problem. After I deleted the suspect records, it started working for me. I then uploaded that same, but modified, file in post #16, and you said it was working for you. So, if you duplicate the steps I took using the same file I used, and it still didn't work, then the only difference left is yours and my machine.
I noticed that the file you have in Post 16 works fine. But, there's 194 records as opposed to 201.
Seems the pone that works had 20 records deleted stead of 13.
So I went into the datasheet and deleted 7 more records (around the 300 ID or so, I forget) and the split displayed the number of records!
If I can now find which 20 I deleted I'll try adding them back one-at-a-time and see if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom