Lock protect form layout (1 Viewer)

Leo_Polla_Psemata

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:52
Hi there
Is there any way we could “lock” and protect the form layout?
during copy paste, or other browsing on the form, filters etc, I have accidentaly deleted or moved controls to another location.
Okay, data is there but I have to repair form. Sometimes i open the usual form and I find out one control is not there.

There are info pieces I copy paste from other applications and forms are designed in the same format, so, one missed control
is a bit of hassle, records won’t paste or will be paste in the wrong field.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 11:52
attached is an app that lets you lock down everything. Users cant design, or bypass VB.
Tho when unlocked, this doesnt prevent you, a designer, from deleting controls. Youd have to restore those from backups.

Attachments

• LockController.zip
    122.8 KB · Views: 340

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
If you create a ACCDE, would it prevent the problem? Give it a try.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Is there any way we could “lock” and protect the form layout?
You can't protect the database from your own clumsiness. You need to develop some situational awareness and pay closer attention to what you are doing. Also, when you close the object Access asks you if you want to save if you haven't forced the save already. If you didn't make any intentional changes, just say no.

Leo_Polla_Psemata

Registered User.
Local time
You can't protect the database from your own clumsiness. You need to develop some situational awareness and pay closer attention to what you are doing. Also, when you close the object Access asks you if you want to save if you haven't forced the save already. If you didn't make any intentional changes, just say no.
Yes, sure, yet, there are moment with huge amount of stress that lead to mistakes such as this one.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:52
I have tried once to convert to ACCDE but i got other kind of issues. I don't know how easy is to return to accdb anyway.
I do not believe it is?, else would be a waste of time, as someone could just take your accde and convert it?
Not saying impossible, but out of most peoples reach, if it could be done at all?

Leo_Polla_Psemata

Registered User.
Local time
I do not believe it is?, else would be a waste of time, as someone could just take your accde and convert it?
Not saying impossible, but out of most peoples reach, if it could be done at all?
Just to give few more info about my purpose in here.

I am a casual access user. I know very few about vba, I don’t know how to make one code from scratch. With your assistance (*) and by browsing youtube, I have reached a good level of productivity in my business. I have created very complicated VBA only by coping parts from here and there and tune the field /control names etc. What matters is that it works.

The international company I work for, already provides info pieces which I download and upload in my forms. Data is already “normalized”. All I have to do is to tailor table/form to the exact given table structure. I save too much time as I don’t need typing. Then process data very fast, I spot the business mistakes, weird cases, out of consequence cases, etc, I take immediate action, I compose very fast emails and reports, I notify without delay and by creating an EDI, I upload correctly and very fast my stuff on the main business application.

While others, work for hours on the main application, typing checking one by one the dailies and then update system by typing again one by one the pieces, I just upload (copy paste), one or more update queries, one EDI and I am done.

I don’t want an ACCDE because I want open application for new stuff I might need tomorrow, a new report or create a new table and so on. At this moment, I share my application with two more users.

Splitting database, front end back end or cloud, still uncharted waters for me.

ps (*) This site is the number one, way far better than any other source of help and support in the access and vba.
PS 2 , hope you make "meetings" although i understand all members are not from same region. Why not try and make a meeting in a resort or something. For example, I am a Greek, in May or in September, in Greece, it is much cheaper than July August. we could book in one resort for a weekend or more and gather our beers. Flights from to Europe are under control (okay, nowadays all prices are going up as crazy... this is another issue)

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:52
have you considered using backups? If you need to make or change a form or report, take a backup first

Re meetings - they take a lot of organising, You need to find a venue, speakers, arrange an itinerary, negotiate accommodation, There is one I try to go to in Austria and there are several smaller ones in the UK. Also ones in the US. If you wanted to organise one yourself and post on here I'm sure you will get takers. From my experience somewhere between 10 and 50 - cost to delegates will be a concern.

Leo_Polla_Psemata

Registered User.
Local time
pen application for new stuff I might nee

have you considered using backups? If you need to make or change a form or report, take a backup first

Re meetings - they take a lot of organising, You need to find a venue, speakers, arrange an itinerary, negotiate accommodation, There is one I try to go to in Austria and there are several smaller ones in the UK. Also ones in the US. If you wanted to organise one yourself and post on here I'm sure you will get takers. From my experience somewhere between 10 and 50 - cost to delegates will be a concern.
This experience is from last years without pandemic. Itineraries to/from Greece on standard or charter flights, is easy, cheap and good frequency. Venues in Greece nearby int' airports, too many. Prices, hmmm, I say Greece because I am Greek, maybe it is easier and cheaper in another country, for example Crete (ha ha, that was the dirty joke of Wednesday) , i will make a template access database to study the case...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yes, sure, yet, there are moment with huge amount of stress that lead to mistakes such as this one.
I visited Athens in the 70's. I actually cried when I saw the Acropolis. The marble has been so damaged by acid rain it was sad to look at. Otherwise the trip was fabulous. We stayed at a small hotel in La Placa with a view of the Acropolis, ate a lot of good food, did a lot of dancing and singing.

Backups are your friend. That doesn't take a lot of programming experience. It just takes discipline. Close the database frequently when you are developing and make zip copies.

Leo_Polla_Psemata

Registered User.
Local time
I visited Athens in the 70's. I actually cried when I saw the Acropolis. The marble has been so damaged by acid rain it was sad to look at. Otherwise the trip was fabulous. We stayed at a small hotel in La Placa with a view of the Acropolis, ate a lot of good food, did a lot of dancing and singing.

Backups are your friend. That doesn't take a lot of programming experience. It just takes discipline. Close the database frequently when you are developing and make zip copies.
Hi, just Plaka (without La) we Greeks don't have La or Los as Spaniards do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom