Solved Editable PDF file from a Report/Query (1 Viewer)

Cliff67

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:50
Hello all

I have a database that looks after our repairs and technical support logging. My CEO wants one of the reports to be exported to PDF but it needs to be editable.

My question is: does anyone or has any one done similar? created an editable pdf file from a report or the query under the report?

many thanks in advance of your replies

Cliff

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi Cliff. I've done some work with PDF forms; but in my limited experience, the PDF form was already created using Acrobat. Don't you have a standard form built already?

Cliff67

Registered User.
Local time
Hi DBGuy

thank you for your quick reply. I do indeed have a standard form which was based on a paper form the technician filled in by hand.

The CEO wants to have an editable pdf created. I have pointed out that with the database the technician can have restricted access (already built in) and enter all the details they need, with the added benefit of drop downs that have the part numbers etc.

I think he just wants options, because we are looking to do this in India and Singapore as well as the UK and USA. The main problem is both countries have different procedures which we are currently bringing together.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi DBGuy

thank you for your quick reply. I do indeed have a standard form which was based on a paper form the technician filled in by hand.

The CEO wants to have an editable pdf created. I have pointed out that with the database the technician can have restricted access (already built in) and enter all the details they need, with the added benefit of drop downs that have the part numbers etc.

I think he just wants options, because we are looking to do this in India and Singapore as well as the UK and USA. The main problem is both countries have different procedures which we are currently bringing together.
May I suggest you visit my website and take a look at the two PDF database demos I have available. Maybe one of them would work for you. Good luck!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:50
In order for a PDF to be editable, the users ALL need to have the full version of Adobe.

Cliff67

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Pat
Thanks for that titbit of info. I thought if it was editable you could enter data into the fields. I don't think my boss wants to pay for everyone to have the full version

Cliff67

Registered User.
Local time
DBGuy

I'll have a look at your site today, many thanks

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 18:50
Hi Pat
Thanks for that titbit of info. I thought if it was editable you could enter data into the fields. I don't think my boss wants to pay for everyone to have the full version
I would say that I have completed editable pdf files in the past, and I have never had a full version of Acrobat?. In fact I use anything but Adobe, like Foxit. I have not created those files, merely completed information in them.?

Cliff67

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Gasman
I have normally completed them but I thought it was to do with the way they were saved and distributed

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 18:50
Hi Gasman
I have normally completed them but I thought it was to do with the way they were saved and distributed
Yes, that is the case I believe, and for that you need a full version of Adobe or something that can create editable file.
Someone was asking the same thing a while back, so search here?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK, somebody needs a full version of Adobe. You said you wanted the user to edit the file which is different from filling a form field. Then you need whoever is running the code that creates the fillable form to have the full version of Adobe.

I would probably do this with Excel instead. Everybody has excel. You can create a template that is formatted as you need it with fields defined as locked or unlocked and you can use OLE to create your fillable file from the template by placing the data in the cells where it belongs. OR you can export the data and then open the spreadsheet and do the formatting. I'm not sure which will be easier.

You can even look into creating a UserForm for Outlook.

Cliff67

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Pat

thank you for the response, I will look into the full version and if the boss wants me to have it or not.

Thanks for the advice

Cliff

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The point is that it might not be enough for YOU to have Adobe. Are YOU the only person who would be creating the document? If not, then, everyone who would need to create the document needs the full version of Adobe. If that is the situation, you can look into creating a UserForm for Outlook or Excel.

Cliff67

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Pat
Potentially everyone who has access to the DB will create a PDF. I think the boss is coming round to just using the database. I'm in the process of getting the information about Azure vs Citrix server together for him

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Why does Azure or Citrix solve the problem? Why can't you use Access to create a UserForm in Exce if everyone doesn't have access to the database?

Using Excel this way isn't terrible for data entry although you wouldn't want to use it to update the database.

Cliff67

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Pat
Sorry I didn't tell the whole story. I packaged up a sample database that installed a small backend, Runtime Access and the front end for my boss and the Operations director, who now have changed their collective minds and want the database rolled out.

I'm looking into the best way to do this either via our existing Cirtix server or a new Azure subscription. I'm reading about the pros and cons of both and how easy/difficult it is to implement in India and Singapore.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you have Citrix, that is the simplest since you don't have to change anything in the app. We still have no idea what you are trying to do with a fillable PDF.

Cliff67

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Pat

the fillable PDF was the Boss's idea not mine, he has changed his mind since he got a small demo DB. I'm leaning more towards Citrix.

So the process goes...
1. We are contacted about a camera issue/problem
2. I log the details on my db
3. if it can be resolved it is closed on the db. If it needs to come back to us I issue an RMA.
4. customer sends equipment back to us, we log the progress from received, to diagnoses, to quote issue etc.

My db will handle all of this and produce reports etc from the operations team. However because the CEO was worried about customer confidentially and loss of the information, only I do all of this.

This is where the editable PDF comes in. The CEO and the CFO wanted the information filled in by the operations team, the CEO loves his editable PDFs so he said "lets fill one of those in". His plan was to fill in an editable PDF during the repair process (which is step by step on the db), the technicians then save the PDF, the operations team then enter the information onto an excel spreadsheet where it is manipulated into charts etc.

I have recreated these charts on the db together with the reports that they take ages pulling off the excel sheets.

The CFO is happy with this, the CEO is now happy with this and the editable PDFs are now a thing of the past (hopefully).

The last thing for me to do is provide costing of Citrix Vs Azure to the CEO and CFO.

I think this thread should be marked as resolved as I no longer need the editable interface

Many thanks for all the advice

Cliff

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you already have the Citrix licenses, the switch is pretty much free. Don't forget that even with Citrix, you CANNOT share the FE. Each user should have a copy in his personal folder. If you need a batch file, just post again I'll put one up. Or search for it. I've posted it dozens of times.

Cliff67

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Pat, I'll have a look see shortly. I used a package called SSE Setup to create the demo version of the database for the boss man, it installed it in a TechSpport Folder on his PC and put a short cut on the desktop for him. I've been plugging away for about 2 years now about Citrix and I think the cost implications of Azure versus the Citrix we currently have will finally push him over the that.

Many thanks

Cliff

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom