How to change table template? (1 Viewer)

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 22:16
Is there any way to change the default row height, grid color or other properties of tables in Access?
I looked into Options-object Designer settings but I couldn't find anything there.

As I'm getting older and older, it's getting harder and harder to see the values in tables records. So to make it easier to see the contents of tables I change row height or grid color of tables one by one. Is there any way to change the default row height and grid color of tables?

I know I shouldn't work directly on tables, but during first stages of designing a database and tests, I need to check the value of saved data.

If possible, I need to change row height, grid color and background color of :
1- Existing local & sql server linked tables.
2- New local & sql server linked tables.

I appreciate any kind of advice.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:16
Can change font size for tables/queries with File > Options > Datasheet > Default font

KitaYama

Local time
Thanks for the suggestion. I tested your suggestion. Now I'm there only half the way. Still need more help for the other half.
The font grows, but I don't see any change in row height. Since the font is larger with no change in cells' size, the text are too close to each other.

I still appreciate any possible suggestion on any possible way to change either cells' height or grid color.

Thank you.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:16
changing font size adjusts row height for me (I adjusted from 9 to 22) - you may also want to make the default column width wider

KitaYama

Local time
changing font size adjusts row height for me (I adjusted from 9 to 22) - you may also want to make the default column width wider
It doesn't for me. Maybe because still the font fits in the current height.
I changed the font from 11 to 14.

This is what I have now:

2022-04-04_18-33-32.png

I think I can feel better if the top and bottom margin were larger.
Something like this :
( I've dragged and change the row height)

2.png

If I'm asking too much, or if there's no way to do it in bulk, it's OK. I can live with it and do it manually.

Thanks again for looking into it.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:16
It's because of font style. That can be changed per table/query with Font selector on ribbon.

My db defaults to Calibri (Detail). This may be controlled by a WIndows registry setting https://social.technet.microsoft.co...w-do-i-change-the-default-font-in-access-2013

There is also a separate setting for query Design. File > Options > Object Designers > Query design
This affects query grid and SQLView, not the table/query relationships section.
Nothing for table/form/report Design. Form/report design is dictated by screen resolution. Too bad table design font style/size can't be changed.

You can change your computer monitor resolution but if you are building for other users, should build with resolution they will work in. I have seen code that can scale forms for monitor resolution. I've never tried it.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:16
Is there any way to change the default row height, grid color or other properties of tables in Access?

Technically, no. But then, you never see a table anyway. When you open a table, Access uses an implied form in datasheet view and it trims the form to the right number of columns.

Open the form in datasheet view. (NOT design view.)

Click on a column for the field in question (to select it). Now RIGHT-click and one of the items in the drop-down is "column width."

Now click on a row to select it. RIGHT-click and one of the items in the drop-down is "row height."

You may have to play with it some, and I don't know if it will remember the settings, but give it a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom