Access 2019 freezes when trying to design a form (1 Viewer)

doctoroop

Local time
Today, 06:06
Full disclosure: I'm a complete newbie to Access. Although new to access, I am an experienced programmer, so I know several systems that involve dragging controls from some sort of palette to some sort of design surface, by click and drag, click-click, double-click drag, etc. It doesn't seem to be any of the usual suspects.

I'm trying to follow a video to make a simple Access form. I create the form, resize it, and everything seems fine. Then I try to drag a control from the palette to the form. The palette control changes its appearance to indicate that it is selected. But the control won't drag onto the form; I get the same old arrow cursor, rather than the expected "+icon" drag cursor. However, if I snooze for fifteen minutes and come back, the controls will work as expected. I'm using an i7 quad core @ 2.7 GHz, Windows 10 Pro, and a big SSD, very lightly loaded. I have two computers like this, and the behavior is the same.

Is there some trick that will make Access wake up? Clearly the author of the videos doesn't have to wait a long time for their system to start up.

Thanks for your help.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:06
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

With Access, you don't drag the design object to the form. Instead, click to select the object and then click on the form to place it there.

doctoroop

Local time
Today, 06:06
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

With Access, you don't drag the design object to the form. Instead, click to select the object and then click on the form to place it there.
That was quick! Thank you for solving my problem within about a half hour!

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 03:06
That was quick! Thank you for solving my problem within about a half hour!
Access is unique in a lot of ways, so keeping an open mind about "how to do it" is always a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom