Combo box for "Search" and "DataEntry" (1 Viewer)

Local time
Today, 15:00
I've been looking through the forums/Youtube videos to see if a combo box in a form can "Search" and conduct "Data Entry" into a subform. I have a form set up that selects information from a combo box and other fields and displays that information into the subform.

For Example inside the combo box:
1. Red
2. Blue
3. Green

I want all the entries green to display in the subform when I select that text in the combo box and it also allows a user to enter additional information with the other text fields. First time using MS Access here so it's been a roller coaster experience trying to make this database. Would appreciate some input and guidance

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:00
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

I think what you're asking is possible. Can you maybe post a screenshot of your form to better understand your requirement?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I need one combo box, "Br Number," that searches the selection chosen inside to look up all the information below in the Subform and do a new data entry. I am asking for two things to occur at once. I don't know if that's possible or not.
Okay, just to clarify, if the combo has A, B, and C as choices, selecting A, for example, would show the A records in the subform, right? If there are no A records, are you saying it should automatically create one in the subform?

Local time
Okay, just to clarify, if the combo has A, B, and C as choices, selecting A, for example, would show the A records in the subform, right? If there are no A records, are you saying it should automatically create one in the subform?
Yes, if the user selects "A" all the records of "A" display in the subform, and once "A" is selected he/she can enter additional information into other text fields and hit save to add to the subform.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes, if the user selects "A" all the records of "A" display in the subform, and once "A" is selected he/she can enter additional information into other text fields and hit save to add to the subform.
Okay, that's already a given. Nothing additional has to be done. The question I have is what happens if there are no matching records? If you don't need to automatically created missing records, then again, nothing additional needs to be done as well. The user should be able to freely add or create new records right now.

Local time
Okay, that's already a given. Nothing additional has to be done. The question I have is what happens if there are no matching records? If you don't need to automatically created missing records, then again, nothing additional needs to be done as well. The user should be able to freely add or create new records right now.
What I was informed is that "if there are no matching records" then the subform should come up blank and inform the user

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
What I was informed is that "if there are no matching records" then the subform should come up blank and inform the user
Hi. If there are no matching records, then it's already going to show us a blank subform. Can you please show us the code you're using behind the combobox? If you're not using any code (including macros), then that's probably what you were asking us for help. If so, we should be able to provide that, but we'll need some idea about your form and table objects.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:00
Do NOT use a bound control for searching. Add a bound combo for data entry. Add a separate unbound combo in the form's header for searching.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom