OBAMA WINS (at last) (2 Viewers)

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 14:37
For someone with such a thin skin, you sure know how to be provocative.

OK, that's my queue to go home I think. There's been enough talk today about being provocative and "evil" lol. Threw me into a frenzy of hilarity for the day. :D

Local time
Today, 08:37
OK, that's my queue to go home I think. There's been enough talk today about being provocative and "evil" lol. Threw me into a frenzy of hilarity for the day. :D

I don't think you're evil (maybe provocative, a little). And you certainly don't have me wrapped around your little finger, do you?

<mechanical voice>
Is there anything I can do for you, my empress?
</mechanical voice>

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

Queue? :)

Col

redneckgeek

Local time
Today, 09:37
Col,
You are the most ruthless grammar/spelling enforcement officer I have ever seen on ANY forum.:rolleyes:

Isn't it possible that she saw the line for the bus forming outside her office window, and decided she had better get in it?;)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Col,
You are the most ruthless grammar/spelling enforcement officer I have ever seen on ANY forum.:rolleyes:

Awwww, you're just saying that. .. . . . . .

Isn't it possible that she saw the line for the bus forming outside her office window, and decided she had better get in it?;)

That is a remote possibility. However, in the UK, if a bus stops anywhere near where you are going / starting, then you'll be lucky.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I don't know - he is not nearly as handsome as Will Smith, but he is a hell of a lot more inspiring.

They always are when they are trying to be President.

Wait until he gets in and see all the broken promises. Maybe he will end up parking the cars, before he gets shot of course.

I must find out what the odds are now on him getting assassinated. It's got to be worth a tenner.

Col

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:37
Hey, do any of you live over there and know whether this is true?

Recently, Britian installed new security cameras--on average every British citizen is photographed a few times a day by the government--where the invisible government cop will actually *TALK BACK THROUGH INSTALLED LOUSPEAKERS* to those they catch on the screen doing something the government doesn't like. This is--quite literally--Orwell's "telescreen" (from his masterpiece, "1984") made a reality. If the British people don't revolt and cut down those cameras, ignoring the threats of dire punishment shouted at them from the camera's loudspeakers, I have no hope for them.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
They always are when they are trying to be President.

Col

Not so: I haven't found any inkling of inspiration in any of the major candidates ever since I have been able to vote in presidential elections (2000 and 2004). As to whether he will break promises, the only hard promise I have heard him make is to get us the hell out of Iraq, and if he reneges on that one, you can bet I will be upset, assuming he gets elected of course.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

Partly true, there are security cameras everywhere in main town centre areas. Some do have loudspeakers and the people who watch the monitors can speak through them. (It's not the "government" it's the security people who monitor the cameras)

But, if you have nothing to hide then they are not a problem.

Col

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Well, there are plenty of cameras, some with speakers attached. I've seen documentary footage of them being used to tell two guys who were beating up a third that the police had been called and they were also being recorded (the cameras then followed them as they tried to escape).

The person who supplied that quote certainly makes it sound like it's a lot more oppressive than it actualy is. Either he's deliberately overstating it, to try to stir up controversy, or he's as much of an idiot as he sounds.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time

Queue? :)

Col

Col,

I really think she meant CUE, but did create an interesting image of her waiting in line to go home. Like when I used to take the Subway followed by the Transit Train from New York City to home.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
The person who supplied that quote certainly makes it sound like it's a lot more oppressive than it actualy is. Either he's deliberately overstating it, to try to stir up controversy, or he's as much of an idiot as he sounds.

Yeah, it was one of the right wing neoconservative nutcases over at Amazon who equates any government regulation whatsoever with totalitarianism.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, over in the athiest thread, I inferred (jokingly) that Obama was the messiah. It was largely ignored - or possibly misunderstood. I just meant that that's how the American media portrays him.

Apparently, this guy feels the same way as I do....:D
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/gerard_baker/article4392846.ece

I think the press's supposed adoration of Obama is much ado about nothing.

If the press were really giving him a pass, then why did they spend literally months going on about his preacher, meanwhile completely ignoring McCain's ties with equally outrageous religious figures? Why, when Clark simply stated the fact that being a veteran doesn't by itself qualify you for the presidency, did the press jump all over him as if this were some horribly untrue smear on McCain? Why did CBS purposfully cut and not air McCain's completely incorrect answer, that the surge preceded the Anbar awakening, to one of Couric's questions? Why does the press never give any mention at all of the unprecedented level of grassroots organizing by hundreds of thousands of Obama supporters? I could go on and on and on, but you have probably already stopped reading, so I will end there.

redneckgeek

Local time
Sorry, must just me my perception. It sure looks like the nightly news anchors can't say his name without getting a gleem in their eye. When it seems like every editorial I read in the paper is a worship piece on Obama, it gets a little tiring.

BTW: Just because I may disagree with what you are saying, doesn't mean I stop reading. I only do that if someone turns to personal attacks instead of making valid points.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, must just me my perception. It sure looks like the nightly news anchors can't say his name without getting a gleem in their eye. When it seems like every editorial I read in the paper is a worship piece on Obama, it gets a little tiring.

BTW: Just because I may disagree with what you are saying, doesn't mean I stop reading. I only do that if someone turns to personal attacks instead of making valid points.

I think that gleam you see is just the spotlights they use to illuminate the news anchors, it doesn't seem to affect what stories (and they are stories, not news) they talk about. Also, I guess you didn't read what the New Yorker wrote about him this week - couldn't call that anything like worship, more like snobbish disdain.

I didn't mean to imply that you would stop reading because you didn't agree, it's just that often people skip over posts that are too long.

redneckgeek

Local time
Yeah, it was one of the right wing neoconservative nutcases over at Amazon who equates any government regulation whatsoever with totalitarianism.

I'm far from a "right wing neocon nutjob" (ok, maybe a little nutjob), but as a libertarian I am whole-heartedly against government regulation. But then again, I'm against just about EVERYTHING our government does these days.... and it's about to get MUCH worse.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Col,

I really think she meant CUE, but did create an interesting image of her waiting in line to go home. Like when I used to take the Subway followed by the Transit Train from New York City to home.

Or maybe she just wanted to see if the auld codger was still awake ! ;)

The very idea that I need to queue for transport. Behave :D

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
I'm far from a "right wing neocon nutjob" (ok, maybe a little nutjob), but as a libertarian I am whole-heartedly against government regulation. But then again, I'm against just about EVERYTHING our government does these days.... and it's about to get MUCH worse.
The cameras mentioned in the article are mainly operated by private security firms for local councils. The idea is to be able to 'police' city centres and shopping precincts more efficiently. So far, they've been quite successful in cutting down violence in some areas.

Government regulation of {fill in the blank} isn't really the issue, so either the 'nutjob' didn't follow this or just saw the opportunity to jump on a soapbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom