OBAMA WINS (at last) (2 Viewers)

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 06:40
An excellent example of what we were speaking of previously.

A poster who thinks they are provocative and gets a great kick out of getting responses. Then they cross the line of good sence and good taste.

Pitiful really.

Sum, don’t lower yourself to his level, just ignore him. Remember this is a person that uses phrases like darkie and tar-brush and then says we southerners are racists.

After you've had enough and leave the forum another poor soul will wonder in and he'll start picking on them. Seen it happen time & time again.

I'm guessing his personal life isn't much and he gets a sense of importance by coming here and belittling people. - ?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 11:40
Sum, don’t lower yourself to his level, just ignore him. Remember this is a person that uses phrases like darkie and tar-brush and then says we southerners are racists.

As I have said - normal phrases in use in parts of the UK, used in a normal way not a malicious way.

Name the two reasons why you won't vote for Obama, here's a clue, one is that he is a Democrat - what's the second?

After you've had enough and leave the forum another poor soul will wonder in and he'll start picking on them. Seen it happen time & time again.
Never heard the phrase "wonder in" - do you mean "wander in"? Or is it another example of an American mutilating the English language?

I'm guessing his personal life isn't much and he gets a sense of importance by coming here and belittling people. - ?

You guess wrongly. Try again. I am quite happy to have a sensible discussion with SummyJim - sadly he can't really maintain it too long.

Col

redneckgeek

Local time
Name the two reasons why you won't vote for Obama, here's a clue, one is that he is a Democrat - what's the second?

ummm.... He's not black enough?

/Did I win?

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:40
As I have said - normal phrases in use in parts of the UK, used in a normal way not a malicious way.

I don't why for the life of me I am wading in on this, must be bored today.
But some of the UK posters continually tell us American's part of the problem is we don't see the "world view" only the American view (I'm paraphrasing here).
Yet here is Col not looking at the "WORLD" view, only the UK view.
One would think if something is derogatory in one part of the world, having the proper global political correctness, would preclude using that even if it is not derogatory where they live.

Just an observation.

KenHigg

Local time
But some of the UK posters continually tell us American's part of the problem is we don't see the "world view" only the American view (I'm paraphrasing here).
One would think if something is derogatory in one part of the world, having the proper global political correctness, would preclude using that even if it is not derogatory where they live.

Just an observation.

He's missing a few bricks?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time

Just an observation.
I don't think Colin speaks for all UK people. He is just using the ancient British priviledge of free speech. Sometimes this leads to people saying things that others of us do not find appropriate but rather than getting upset by it we tend to exercise tolerance and ignore it.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
I don't think Colin speaks for all UK people. He is just using the ancient British priviledge of free speech. Sometimes this leads to people saying things that others of us do not find appropriate but rather than getting upset by it we tend to exercise tolerance and ignore it.
He definitely doesn't.

Plus there's the 'red rag to a bull' element.

Look at how many times a certain racial slur has been used on posts since the discussion about how offensive it is, then compare that to the number of times it was used beforehand. 'Naughty' kids very often just want people to pay attention to them, no? Once they find something that gets people worked up, they stick with it.

Sum Guy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:40
You guess wrongly. Try again. I am quite happy to have a sensible discussion with SummyJim - sadly he can't really maintain it too long.

Col

I regret that I have an actual job so I can't respond to your posts as quickly as you may like.
This problem is compounded by the fact that whenever I read your posts I get this urge to bathe.

R

Rich

I regret that I have an actual job so I can't respond to your posts as quickly as you may like.
This problem is compounded by the fact that whenever I read your posts I get this urge to bathe.

I notice that you didn't answer my post that was obviously too difficult for you, i.e.Recent Ameican History

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I don't think Colin speaks for all UK people.

That's why I said "parts of the UK":rolleyes:

Sum Guy said:
I regret that I have an actual job so I can't respond to your posts as quickly as you may like.This problem is compounded by the fact that whenever I read your posts I get this urge to bathe.

I care little how long you take to answer or not answer.

How nice you have an "actual job", what do you want? a medal?

You have a bath in your workplace? Do you have to use it in your own time or do you get special time to bathe? How about your colleagues? Do you have a rota?

Oh and I'm still waiting for you to answer my questions regarding Albanian logic.

Col

Sum Guy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:40
I care little how long you take to answer or not answer.

Then why bring it up?

How nice you have an "actual job", what do you want? a medal?
You have a bath in your workplace? Do you have to use it in your own time or do you get special time to bathe? How about your colleagues? Do you have a rota?

I don't read the forum at work. Thats not what I'm being paid for.

Oh and I'm still waiting for you to answer my questions regarding Albanian logic.
Col

I'm still waiting for answers to a few dozen questions I've asked you in the past you never responded to or evaded.
It's a counter point to your "American" reaction posts.

Anyway, your limited ability to divert and entertain me has run its course, so I will bow out of this conversation at this point. You will puff up and claim a victory over me I'm sure. Go right ahead. I have no more interest.

Last edited:

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
That's why I said "parts of the UK":rolleyes:

Col
Col, if you read my post carefully before replying, you will see I was replying to another post which was critising you for urging the US to take a world view while you were taking a UK view. Do pay attention.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Anyway, your limited ability to divert and entertain me has run its course, so I will bow out of this conversation at this point. You will puff up and claim a victory over me I'm sure. Go right ahead. I have no more interest.

I wasn't aware that this was a competition. I would have put in more of an effort if I had known. (not that I needed to it seems)

However, as I said earlier I would be quite happy to have a sensible discussion with you but it seems you always want to score points by making out you are something special, so that limits the "discussion" to your level.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Col, if you read my post carefully before replying, you will see I was replying to another post which was critising you for urging the US to take a world view while you were taking a UK view. Do pay attention.

I am well aware what you were relying to. I was merely enforcing to the third party my actual statement - you said:-

"I don't think Colin speaks for all UK people."

I confirmed that by saying:-

"That's why I said "parts of the UK""

Do try to follow the flow of the conversations. It's so wearing having to explain things several times - it's almost like talking to an American.

Col

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:40
Hey Col, so exactly how many "Parts of the UK" do you speak for. Just curious?

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
His, and possibly Rich's,house.

Brian
You mean to say that if you walked into a pub in your neck of the woods and called a group of black guys 'darkies', you wouldn't be invited to join them for a drink?

What a strange area Liverpool must be :p.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
You mean to say that if you walked into a pub in your neck of the woods and called a group of black guys 'darkies', you wouldn't be invited to join them for a drink?

I don't know and I'm not about to try it, but hey Col can give it a go.

Brian;)

R

Rich

I'm guessing you never saw Till death us do part or totally missed its point

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
I'm guessing you never saw Till death us do part or totally missed its point
I saw it. Very funny it was too.

As I remember it, the point was that the person who was using the term was an ignorant idiot? I can recall Johnny Speight being interviewed about it when In Sickness and in Health was broadcast, and explaining that the joke was intended to be on the sort of person who uses the terms Ald Garnett used, as opposed to the ones being insulted. Within the context of a comedy 'play', his behaviour could be laughed at, while those who acted that way in the real world were, at best, an embarrassment and at worst a blight on society.

Are you saying that we're all part of a sitcom at the moment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom