What's the best/worst video game of all time? (1 Viewer)

dapfeifer

Bringing Maverick Mojo
Local time
Today, 10:07
This forum section seems a little under-appreciated, so I thought I'd throw this one out there.

What video game stands as your favorite/least favorite game of all time?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:07
I'll bite :p

Best for PC (in no particular order)

Older games:

Doom - definative fps
Elite
Deus Ex - still a brilliant game
System Shock 2
Half-Life
Llamatron - maybe just me but a simple brilliantly addictive game.
GP4

Modern games:

BF2
Half-Life 2 (+ episodes and portal)
GTR
rFactor
Knights Of The Old Republic (KOTOR)
Counter Strike
Call of Duty 4
Company of Heroes

They are all great games but if I had to choose one it would have to be Half-Life, the best fps ever imo and still the greatest game made so far. Though I have to admit I'm not a huge RTS or MMORPG (that's too long an acronym anyway :p) fan but still....

The worst:

I don't buy bad games :D but if you forced me, the worst I own is Doom3 - the only game I have never finished but to be fair a friend recommended playing it on very hard and it was much better so maybe I'll go back to it.

Singh400

Registered User.
Local time
Mafia (PC), ET:QW (PC), Shadow of the Colossus (PS2), World of Goo (PC), NFS:MW (PC) are pretty much my all time favs.

I don't buy bad games period. I always try the demo first, and I know within a couple of levels if I'll like it or not.

ASherbuck

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:07
Best:
The Entire X-Com Series
Left 4 Dead (I've been Loving it) as well as *most* other Valve games
Neverwinter Nights & expansions Hotu was awesome
Fallout series
Everquest

Worst:
Shadowbane
Halo series (Hey wow Console gaming that does what PC's were doing 10 years ago !!!!!)
Peggle EXTREME
Kotor, I Know lots love it but I just don't do SW or the whole Kotor system (Mass Effect wasn't my gig either)
Any sports games.

dapfeifer

Bringing Maverick Mojo
Local time
My Best:
The Command & Conquer Series (including Red Alert, Generals, etc.)
Sonic the Hedgehog series on the Genesis (except 3D Blast)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Diablo II: LoD (simply due to replay value provided by so many different character builds)
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Comix Zone - an oft-overlooked Genesis gem
The Metriod Prime Series

Worst:
I'll get back to you. I've played some back ones but none seem to come to mind immediately.

angelinalove

Banned
Local time
I would like to share my experience about best online game nintendo wii it's good stuff. In wii I prefer to play mario kart.

rustyCrVx

The Post is a Lie
Local time
Best:
Counter-Strike: Source - I love this game, competitive gaming is too fun
Titan Quest: Immortal Throne - Just started this one, it's like a new Diablo2
Crysis - Graphics were amazing and I can't wait for the sequel
Heretic and Hexen - For getting me into PC games in the first place
Metroid games - SNES version I played like 50x over and the Wii versions are incredible if you haven't tried them.

Worst:
I always read a multitude of reviews before buying anything now but the most bad games I remember playing came from the Genesis console, not to say I didn't like Genesis, I played Sonic for days.

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Best:

Half life 1+2 (half life 1 when it came out was leagues ahead of anything else)
Dues ex (awesome)
Call of Duty 1,2,4,w@r
World of warcraft
BF1942, BF2
GRAND THEFT AUTO 3 (set the standard for all future games of this type)
Gran turismo 1 (set the standard for most modern racing games)
Xenon 2 (Amiga games FTW)
Tomb raider
Hidden and dangerous

Worst: (hmm this is harder than first thought)

Starwars battlefront
Lemmings (hated that bloody game)
Star wars - Obi wan - xbox (this game is really bad, awful GFX and the most clipping I have ever seen)
Windows Vista :p

Last edited:

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 23:07
have to go with half-life/hl2 and cs/css.

had fun with quake, starcraft and the command & conquer stuff. that's about all i know. haven't seen much to compete with hl/hl2.

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Worst:
Halo series (Hey wow Console gaming that does what PC's were doing 10 years ago !!!!!)

I have to quote this because it is simply inaccurate, Halo combat evolved was released on XBOX in 2001, what PC game was as good as Halo in 1991?

Well there was catacomb 3D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacomb_3D

But somehow I don't think that quite does what Halo does...;)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Haven't had time, money, or a PC new enough to play games on in ages, but back in another lifetime I really enjoyed these:

Half-Life (never got to play HL2)
Unreal (first one)
Quake series
Doom series
Diablo II LOD

Hubby liked Max Payne but I never got to play it. That was about the most recent game we had. Kids came along and no money for updated PC, plus no place to put it. We are just using a laptop now, which is tough for gaming on.

ASherbuck

Registered User.
Local time

rustyCrVx

The Post is a Lie
Local time
@ ASher:

I wouldn't quite relate Halo to games from 10 years before its time but I would agree that it really wasn't as amazingly epic as it was made out to be. I never got the game on PC and don't have an xbox, but I got to play the game through on a friend's console. It was entertaining, I suppose, but it definitely let me down considering how much it was hyped up. PC > Console

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
When I see:
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/halo-wish-list-7.jpg

I think:
http://diablobasher.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/doom42193.jpg

Of course the graphics aren't as good but I'd take Doom as an FPS anytime over Halo.

Replace demons with Aliens, Doom Guy with Master Chief, Portal to Hell with Outer Space and throw in a bunch of blinking lights and graphics to make the red necks drool on themselves and you have turned Doom into Halo.

You could probably use that same analogy on many games though. If you're going to get really nitpicky, there is hardly anything original out there at all. I, for one, am happy to play something new with updated graphics. :)

rustyCrVx

The Post is a Lie
Local time
You could probably use that same analogy on many games though. If you're going to get really nitpicky, there is hardly anything original out there at all. I, for one, am happy to play something new with updated graphics. :)

There's that and also the updates for ease of gameplay, improving realism where it matters, and every once in a while think there are some original ideas (certainly nothing wholly original but slightly new ideas). Graphics now are absolutely incredible though. Crysis made my jaw drop but it's the one game I've bought where I actually had to turn down some settings to play through lots of action.

Anybody playing Left 4 Dead? Seems like everyone I know is hooked on it, but they all buy every game that comes out and I don't trust their judgment very much.

andy15

Registered User.
Local time
I played pro evo 2 on the ps1 till it was overused and stopped working, it was amazing.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In context, a lot of the ID games were trend-setters when they first came out. Even Wolfenstein was awesome in its day. Doom was great. Quake was good. From other software houses, Unreal and Half-Life were good. I've played some awesome games. Right now I'm working my way through something that is better than any of them, though, and in a different way.

Morrowind: The Elder Scrolls III is an FPS/3PS in style, hack-and-zap (sword and sorcery) in genre, but it actually has a wide-open plot with some serious mysteries and a long, sequential, multi-step quest in a huge world. Better than some of the older D&D computer games in that it is more literate and has greater freedom of movement, freedom of choice, and optional side-quests.

Doom, Unreal, Half-life? Great games but no serious plot. Hunt and shoot. Frag the little critters. With Morrowind, you get to frag rats and some wierd beasties, plus if you get to the northern island, you get wolves and bears. But it makes you think! The fighting challenge is there, but the brain challenge is better.

Worst game? Freedom Force. Gets nowhere fast. Too easy to die, too hard even on EASY settings to just flat out screw up. Past a certain point, it is a matter of "Who cares?" I liked Myst and its follow-ons but the copy-cats weren't good at all. Like Physicus, for example. And Rhem is another that comes to mind.

In that dreaded category of games you love to hate/hate to love? Sim City 2, 3, or 4.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:07
Best
Resident Evil 1 and 3 (haven't played 2!)
CTR (Crash Team Racing) HUGE replay value and multi-player value
Guitar Hero

Worst
Revolution X
Based on the band Aerosmith. This game actually gave me a headache.

DevastatioN

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:07
I only play online games, so my favorite is definitely

DooM II !

Still being played hardcore by a bunch of people :)

Quakeworld, Quake3 CPMA, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, WarCraft 2, all receive honorable mention from me.

AngelaP

Registered User.
Local time
My favorite oldies are:

- Duke Nukem 3D
- Broken Sword
- Bad Mojo

They all have been released in 1996!

My TOP modern games:

- Gears of War 2
- Call of Duty 4