How to talk to a programmer (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 11:48
Except me:)
that might be true mike. but I know dam* thing....you're the only one that's posted in this thread that hasn't needlessly argued at some point (unless this is just the start of your madness). :rolleyes:

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:48
But there are no rules that compel anyone to respond to a post.

I think we are discussing topic of this thread "How to talk to a programmer' wherein rules or guidelines where set. I think we are not talking if there is a rule that compels anyone to respond.

Sometimes you simply won't get much of a response because no one is around at that time. Being On Line does not mean anything as they might not be in the frame of mind to respond to a post. Perhaps they are even looking for something for their own use. Maybe they are just scanning the forum while watching TV. Who knows.

These are some of Bobs answers.

1. I just don't feel like it.

2. It would require typing a LOT to explain (and I hate typing or writing)

3. the question seems like it could end up going off on other tangents and I just don't have the time to deal with it now.

4. And, I may just not know the answer (nobody knows EVERYTHING about Access - although there are a few which must be pretty close - and I'm not one of them)

and there may be more...

and did not I mention on my previous post on this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinEssex
Try posting when the great Lord Larson is hovering around. He'll answer you within minutes of you posting it. I think he's on a failed mission to prove something.

Col

I'm sorry Col. Didnt I mentioned here that I can see whose individual online are capable but nonetheless didn't bother.

Would that answer your last statement paragraph?

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 11:48
I would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who has contributed to ruining this thread. You all do one bang up job. Enjoy the rest of the flight...

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:48
These are some of Bobs answers.

Quote:

1. I just don't feel like it. That applies to everyone at different times

2. It would require typing a LOT to explain (and I hate typing or writing) That is common. A simple exmple could be someone needs the Left or Right function to extract from a string but you know they have no idea how to make a calculated field in a query.

3. the question seems like it could end up going off on other tangents and I just don't have the time to deal with it now. That certainly fits some topic starting posts

4. And, I may just not know the answer (nobody knows EVERYTHING about Access - although there are a few which must be pretty close - and I'm not one of them)

and there may be more
...That is true. You might not know the answer although you could get it for yourself if you had to bt it takes time.

and did not I mention on my previous post on this thread...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinEssex
Try posting when the great Lord Larson is hovering around. He'll answer you within minutes of you posting it. I think he's on a failed mission to prove something.

Col

I'm sorry Col. Didnt I mentioned here that I can see whose individual online are capable but nonetheless didn't bother.

Would that answer your last statement paragraph?

You have written that in a way "didn't bother" as if the person is in the wrong.

But you can argue your points all day but it is you that needs the responses.

It is very simple. As has already been posted, for the person to respond they have to be interested, in a frame of mind to respond and also does the poster look like answering him will be easy to do.

I would say the posts that are not good to respond would be

1) Written in all lower case, terrible spelling and punctuation.

2) The poster has the appearance that he will not be able to put the answer into place without a great deal of help and that help will be very basic stuff. For example, the poster might want the record to also show the persons the first and last name in the one box. But he does not know how to make an unbound text box or how to put the answer in the unbound textbox.

Or perhaps what he needs is easily solved by a simple macro or VBA but he has no idea of what to do with the answer.

But in a nutshell, a very large proportion of the posts get answered and the person is happy. That is not happening for you so the answer is obvious.:).......change how you post.

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
if I may answer that Mike, can you tell what post have I fallen in your #1 "(1) Written in all lower case, terrible spelling and punctuation."

as I have said previously, I wouldnt asked question if I have either got my solution from googling or from other forum as well.

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
the fact is I have seen worst grammar and spelling in this forum but got replies, and the helper that time took the time of analyzing the problem from that grammar by rephrasing that problem back to the poster.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
if I may answer that Mike, can you tell what post have I fallen in your #1 "(1) Written in all lower case, terrible spelling and punctuation."

as I have said previously, I wouldnt asked question if I have either got my solution from googling or from other forum as well.

I gave you a generalisation of postings that might not attract a response or very little repsonse.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I gave you a generalisation of postings that might not attract a response or very little repsonse.

Don't bother Mike - if you notice he goes around and around and around with it all and it never is his fault. Much like his alter ego who continuously rails against Microsoft wanting them to increase the size limit of Access files. I think the best thing that could happen now is to just stop, let him get tired of trying to elicit a response and fade away.

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
But in a nutshell, a very large proportion of the posts get answered and the person is happy. That is not happening for you so the answer is obvious.:).......change how you post.

I just think it is not in general sense because you posted if answers are not happening to me then I should change my post and you have given factors in posting. That is indirect remark.

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
nice comment there Bob. seems like I am not the only one using the word loop, going around the bush.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
nice comment there Bob. seems like I am not the only one using the word loop, going around the bush.
No but you are the one CAUSING the loop. (and the saying is "BEATING around the bush" not going)

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Bob is right.

Genesis, over and out

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
You're passing up the opportunity to recruit a potential punter here Mike:eek:

I thought about Rich but the pain would be too great, offset any reward:D

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:48
I thought about Rich but the pain would be too great, offset any reward:D
There is no reward here, the punter's already complaining abot the free service being offered, but then he's not the first and I don't suppose the last;)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
its like anything - say fixing a car

if you ask a mechanic what to do, and ignore his recommendations - you cant expect him to help later on when you get in a fix.

and if you ask silly stuff, he probably wont bother trying to help in the first place.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Hmm, could be we are doing the work for a bunch of students or a consultancy.

Brian

Could be something as simple as multiple personality disorder. Did I just say that or was that you Jan?? :D

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
I will cut some of the first time posters some slack.

They may not know how to do things like operate the code buttons and English may not be their first language. Quite often if it is a very simple question it is because they have a very basic understanding of access and therefore are unable to define their problem any better.

Inevitably the response may be - go off and do some study hopefully they will have the good grace to understand the truth in this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom