Changes to Access World Forums (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 11:17
There's an example in the new posts now - "Help please!" now that's a really helpful title:rolleyes:

Col

perhaps a section to force new readers to read these stickies would help instead of putting them in a forum where a lot of people never ask their questions anyway?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 17:17
perhaps a section to force new readers to read these stickies would help instead of putting them in a forum where a lot of people never ask their questions anyway?
You may be able to force new users to open the stickies but you certainly can't force them to read them or to apply the contents to their own posts. :mad:

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I'm surprised you would refer to yourself like that. ;)
No, I've always been able to maintain a sense of humour, tact and diplomacy on the forum:p

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
The large google ad at the header of the forums is just a tad too intrusive I'd say.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Do you only see the advert when you haven't logged in?

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Ahh yes. It disappears when logged in.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Is that not so bad then?

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:17
I dont even know it excists :) I always autologin :)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
It's fine for me personally as logging in is no hassle.

I'm not sure if new visitors to the site will be put off by it though.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Well, I find that 70% of people who come to this site are new visitors. This suggests that most people never come back. If we can generate some revenue from them, it can only help the coffers of Access World and so therefore the future potential of this site.

I do have concerns about it being off-putting for new visitors, but its only the start. We are going to be having more adverts, some of which existing members will also see. However, the newer ads will not be as intrusive as those in-your-face ones that guests see.

Note that to the right of the advert is a Registration notice that will hopefully encourage more people to become a member here. Its much more prominent and who knows, it might help membership numbers.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I can't see any adverts at all here at the minute and since most of the sites I visit bombard the viewer with adverts I can't see how there'll be a problem

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Rich, you can't see the ads because you are logged in. If you log out, you should see them.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Having logged out I still can't see what the fuss is about, compared with some sites I didn't find them obtrusive at all:)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Having logged out I still can't see what the fuss is about, compared with some sites I didn't find them obtrusive at all:)

I only said it was a tad too intrusive. :p

I'm sure my eye will get used to it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm pleased to hear that Rich.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I only said it was a tad too intrusive. :p

I'm sure my eye will get used to it.
If I read my local paper on line or one from the US or even Oz, the page takes forever to load and then it's a question of fighting through the ads to get to the part you wanted in the first place. I went on EBay today to look for a car for my daughter, there were more bloody adverts per page than there were entries for cars. We don't get something for nothing these days and I really think Jons got the balance right;)
I know the grammer doesn't sound correct but I can take the flack:p

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 09:17
The HUGE banner is definately not annoying in my opinion - not like framed ads or pop ups or pop overs or pop unders or mask ads like some sides use that are constantly in your face.
Just perhaps the right half with the invite to join the forum should some how mention that in the wording so it does not appear to be also another part of the google ads banner.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
That is a good point Fifty2One, well spotted!

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 09:17
I don't like the fact that if you click on a google ad (like when you are looking at the NEW THREADS of the forum) it doesn't open a new browser window but instead takes me off of the AWF page I'm looking at.

Jon - You may want to check to make sure your banners always open a new window.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Bob, it is against Googles terms of service to open up a new window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom