FIFA World Cup 2010 (2 Viewers)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 17:47
The refs have been right up there with the goalkeeping - both terrible

USA goal not allowed because 'outsiders' are not supposed to upset the existing Europe / South America heirarchy

Australia only have 2 world class players (Cahill & Kewel) both have been sent off for non existant fouls !!!! Following last world cup where we got robbed by an Italian dive, it is clear we are not meant to be here!!

I wish that I could disagree with you but I cant as I feel that there has been bias against the African teams too.

Brian

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:47
There is hope yet - Italy 1 - New Zealand 1: Plan B looks pretty good. Go you Kiwi's

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I wish that I could disagree with you but I cant as I feel that there has been bias against the African teams too.

Brian

Well it just wouldn't be right for an African or Australasian team to win the cup.

Still, at least it does encompass all continents under the title "world cup" unlike the American "world" series which is restricted to just two nations.

Col

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 09:47
Well it just wouldn't be right for an African or Australasian team to win the cup.

Still, at least it does encompass all continents under the title "world cup" unlike the American "world" series which is restricted to just two nations.

Col
So in the case of the World Series, only two countries are allowed to actually play and have the opportunity to actually win, but in the World Cup, the countries are all allowed to play but not all are allowed to actually win. :D

Lister

Z Shift
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:47
Wow - New Zealand held Italy to nil all. To be honest, as much as this Soccer world cup is interesting (bit like watching the Winter Olympics once every four years), rugby is still the focus of most kiwi's hearts, it would be a strange world if soccer were to take hold.

Anyway, drawing with Italy has been likened to the All Blacks Drawing against Israel, just unthinkable.

So good on the All Whites and as long as we get more points than the Aussies, it's all gravy really :)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
So in the case of the World Series, only two countries are allowed to actually play and have the opportunity to actually win, but in the World Cup, the countries are all allowed to play but not all are allowed to actually win. :D

Yes. That's exactly it, it makes it much more fair, and tin-pot little countries get to play teams they wouldn't normally meet.

Col

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Kewell and Cahill were fouls but very unlucky to get a red card.

Now Kaka's sending off was no foul.

Wouldn't want the Brazilians upsetting the usual suspects!

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Wouldn't want the Brazilians upsetting the usual suspects!

...and here, of course, lies the heart of the problem.

For me, football is about the wonderful France / Uraguay match where I know I can switch on and doze off for 90 minutes knowing full well nothing was going to happen.

Those bloody Brazillians seem to think they can swan about the pitch and score goals from wherever they like!! This awful trend was started by the Prince of Darkness (Pele) and Fifa has taken no action to curb them. They will be the death of game.

"So Called" Sepp Blatter must get off his pampered backside and get the game back in shape so the fans can get back to 'The Beautiful Sleep'

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Wow - New Zealand held Italy to nil all. To be honest, as much as this Soccer world cup is interesting (bit like watching the Winter Olympics once every four years), rugby is still the focus of most kiwi's hearts, it would be a strange world if soccer were to take hold.

Anyway, drawing with Italy has been likened to the All Blacks Drawing against Israel, just unthinkable.

So good on the All Whites and as long as we get more points than the Aussies, it's all gravy really :)

Why don't the All Whites perform the haka? (maori war challenge)

If you had studied history, you would know the Italians would have immediately surrendered and you would have picked up the full 3 points on forfeit

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Why don't the All Whites perform the haka? (maori war challenge)

If you had studied history, you would know the Italians would have immediately surrendered and you would have picked up the full 3 points on forfeit

They swopped side at half time - as always.

Lister

Z Shift
Local time
Not really a good look skinny white boys doing a Haka, but if they get into the next round I would expect to see a Haka at some point.

That's said, and I try here not to detract from the effort that is being put into this tournament by most of the teams and players, but soccer is GAY.

And I don't want to offend Gays here either and perhaps GAY is not the correct word but GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY Gayer then BIG GAY AL leading a gay madigas.

I watch the highlights of the DIVING (didn't know that was it's name in the sport) so far in the competition and I am filled with a feeling of revulsion for the sport.

How can the result of such a low scoring sport balance on the performance of gay prima donnas all tripping over each other to dupe the ref into awarding penalties that are ripping off fair playing teams! How is this allowed to happen?! In your/our world cup, shouldn't this sort of behavior been stomped out years ago?

In short I am left thinking it's less a "beautiful game" and more of a con job as this big teams don't seem to even know the meaning of fair play.

This is what getting taken out by the other player looks like.

I'll stick to rugby, where there is less cheating and real tackling.
Freaking sad :(

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
I thought players were punished for Professional Fouls which included faking injuries and incidents.

Remember the player a few years ago that faked a ball injury when standing in the corner.

Lister

Z Shift
Local time
I wish Bill, I wish. And I have to agree with this wee Aussie blogger that perhaps its just a antipodean thing and we are just a little tougher.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I thought players were punished for Professional Fouls which included faking injuries and incidents.

Remember the player a few years ago that faked a ball injury when standing in the corner.

He was banned for 2 games for that.

Brian

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time

How do you fake a ball injury - walk knock kneed and talk high pitched?

A ball injury can be very painful - and with all such trauma injuries can have serious implications like testicular cancer later on.

statsman

Local time
Today, 12:47
How about????

When a player goes down, the referee will give him 15 seconds to get back up.

If the player in not back on his feet within the 15 seconds, the referee will blow the whistle and call in the first aid staff. At this point, the player MUST leave the pitch. The referee will not allow the player back on for FIVE MINUTES regardless of the number of magic sponges applied.

The player may be substituted for at any time.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
How about????

When a player goes down, the referee will give him 15 seconds to get back up.

If the player in not back on his feet within the 15 seconds, the referee will blow the whistle and call in the first aid staff. At this point, the player MUST leave the pitch. The referee will not allow the player back on for FIVE MINUTES regardless of the number of magic sponges applied.

The player may be substituted for at any time.

So someone really hurt - say being kicked in the nads - need a couple of minutes to recover - must have at least 5 minutes out of the real game.

Put politely - thats a rubbish idea.

I dont think theres too much problem with it as it is as the moment - apart from diving - as with so much in the sport - application of TV replays to ban divers , cheats etc afterwards - would stop most of it, and ban the remaining very few, and not impact the sport as its played at all. (though i would have it through the game - as the correct decision can be reached by TV very quickly - just as quickly as the ref talking to the linesmae or whatever.)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
The thing that amazes me most about this thread is that the Rugby fans seem to think that no cheating or foul play occurs in their sport.

Brian

statsman

Local time
Today, 12:47
So someone really hurt - say being kicked in the nads - need a couple of minutes to recover - must have at least 5 minutes out of the real game.

Put politely - thats a rubbish idea.

I dont think theres too much problem with it as it is as the moment - apart from diving - as with so much in the sport - application of TV replays to ban divers , cheats etc afterwards - would stop most of it, and ban the remaining very few, and not impact the sport as its played at all. (though i would have it through the game - as the correct decision can be reached by TV very quickly - just as quickly as the ref talking to the linesmae or whatever.)

Did not express myself well...
If it's an obvious injury, rule would not apply. It it's a dramatic play for a free kick or yellow card, invoke the rule. Ref's call. Basically, keep the game moving. If the ref did not call a foul at the time, it's not likely he's going to if the player keeps writhing on the ground. Likewise, if you got the free kick, why are you still play-acting?

The linesman is rarely the best one to rely on as he's watching the players in advance of the ball for offsides more than he's watching the play.

Last edited:

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 11:47
OK, just cause I'm so psyched! USA Won! Wahooooooooo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom