FIFA World Cup 2010 (1 Viewer)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 11:25
wahooo!!!!

And the even better part is that the US advanced as the number 1 out of the group with Englad SECOND to us :D (so there is that little fun spot if we do no better further on down the line)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Did not express myself well...
If it's an obvious injury, rule would not apply. It it's a dramatic play for a free kick or yellow card, invoke the rule. Ref's call. Basically, keep the game moving. If the ref did not call a foul at the time, it's not likely he's going to if the player keeps writhing on the ground. Likewise, if you got the free kick, why are you still play-acting?

The linesman is rarely the best one to rely on as he's watching the players in advance of the ball for offsides more than he's watching the play.

How about if the ref decides hes feigning (is that right?) injury - one of the opponents is invited to kick the culprit. Which would stop the feigning instantly.

Yarp

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:25
Re: why players are writing on the ground

Answer: They are trying to influence the ref into giving a yellow or red card to the other player.

Solution: Yellow card anyone who simulates an injury. Simulation (i.e. diving) is a foul, so why isn't simulating an injury?

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time

Answer: They are trying to influence the ref into giving a yellow or red card to the other player.

Solution: Yellow card anyone who simulates an injury. Simulation (i.e. diving) is a foul, so why isn't simulating an injury?

It is I think. But its very hard to prove. We have a resident ex referee here - perhaps they can tell us.

Extra_Cover

Registered User.
Local time
And the even better part is that the US advanced as the number 1 out of the group with Englad SECOND to us :D (so there is that little fun spot if we do no better further on down the line)

And, on paper, have an easier route to the semi-finals that England - if they beat Ghana they play either Uruguay or South Korea. England have to beat Germany then probably Argentina.

USA England final?

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
And, on paper, have an easier route to the semi-finals that England - if they beat Ghana they play either Uruguay or South Korea. England have to beat Germany then probably Argentina.

USA England final?

I'm not a fan of Danny Baker - but I liked his comment that England are not good enough to go out yet (in the group).

You can just see it cn't you beat Germany and the hope rises, beat Argentina the same - then we'll lose to someone and it will all crash to earth again.

I got odds of 25 - 1 for england to win the world cup yesterday. Too much below that and I wouldn't be interested - unless I could lay it.

Extra_Cover

Registered User.
Local time
I'm not a fan of Danny Baker - but I liked his comment that England are not good enough to go out yet (in the group).

You can just see it cn't you beat Germany and the hope rises, beat Argentina the same - then we'll lose to someone and it will all crash to earth again.

I got odds of 25 - 1 for england to win the world cup yesterday. Too much below that and I wouldn't be interested - unless I could lay it.

I heard Baker too. We were talking in the pub last night and sort of agreed with him. England start playing well and then get knocked out by either (a) cheating - Maradonna hand ball / opposition getting our best player sent off or (b) penalties.

If a match goes to penalties I don't think I will ba able to watch.

Baker also predicted France would go thorugh - I'm glad he got that one wrong - especially after the behavour of their coach after the match.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:25
How about if the ref decides hes feigning (is that right?) injury - one of the opponents is invited to kick the culprit. Which would stop the feigning instantly.

Now we're talking !! Given we are now in Africa, how about being fed to the lions?

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I heard Baker too. We were talking in the pub last night and sort of agreed with him. England start playing well and then get knocked out by either (a) cheating - Maradonna hand ball / opposition getting our best player sent off or (b) penalties.

If a match goes to penalties I don't think I will ba able to watch.

Baker also predicted France would go thorugh - I'm glad he got that one wrong - especially after the behavour of their coach after the match.

Very unsporting indeed - just like the henry incident supposedly behind the snub. Whilst the Irish may like the French going out, what a waste of a spot that could (only could) have been theirs.

statsman

Local time
Today, 14:25
I hope England can beat Germany but man, they are going to have to play a whole lot better than they have been.

IMO Germany Argentina and Uruguay look like the strong teams of those who have qualified for the round of 16 so far (Wed.)

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Originally Posted by Yarp

It is I think. But its very hard to prove. We have a resident ex referee here - perhaps they can tell us.

Ex-FIFA ref here... (a long time ago). if I thought a player was feigning an injury I let play continue. After all, they are penalizing their team by basically playing a man short while they are down on the ground holding their ankle or whatever part of their body they wanted me to think had been destroyed.

databasedonr

Registered User.
Local time
Fun to look at this now with both France and Italy headed home after the group stage. Too bad for Australia and New Zealand, would have liked to see either side go through and they played well - esp. the Kiwis with amateurs on their side - how cool is that.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Ex-FIFA ref here... (a long time ago).

Oh interesting - what do you think of the standard of refereeing so far ? personally there have been a few good decisions but overall I have to say it's been poor, specifically with yellow cards, they seem to be dishing them out for anything.

Point proven - there's one for time wasting (apparently) 11 mins into the Denmark vs Japan match :rolleyes: - tell him to get on with it or he will get a yellow ffs no need to simply banish a yellow.

One good thing I have noticed is that all the matches seem to have finished at their allotted time, including extra time (unlike matches at Old Trafford :p).

As I'm typing this Denmark 0 - Japan 1.

So what was the highlight of your refereeing?

Point proven - there's one for time wasting (apparently) 11 mins into the Denmark vs Japan match :rolleyes: - tell him to get on with it or he will get a yellow ffs no need to simply banish a yellow.

and an other one :confused::confused:

databasedonr

Registered User.
Local time
I'd agree the refereeing has been a bit spotty - reds against Klose and Kaka for example - and one game with 9 yellows? That seems a bit much - these aren't particularly violent teams. I always try to appreciate the perspective of the officials, but sometimes they make it really hard. And some disallowed goals for invisible infractions? Not that I'm a fan of the Yanks, particularly, but they were pretty clearly robbed of at least one goal. Let's hope the officiating is more consistent in the knock-out rounds.

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Oh interesting - what do you think of the standard of refereeing so far ? personally there have been a few good decisions but overall I have to say it's been poor, specifically with yellow cards, they seem to be dishing them out for anything. :confused::confused:

As I am in the U.S. I have not been able to watch all the games I would like since many of them happen during my working hours. I have been able to record a few. I think the officiating has been generally pretty poor, but then I have thought so the last few Cup games. The Euro Championships were much, much better. I think there are several factors that play into this. First and foremost is the pressure. You as a ref are on the world stage here and not many have ever experience that before (I haven't) and of course the harder you try to be perfect the more glaring mistakes you make! Second, FIFA is pushed to use refs from a lot of small, third world countries that never have the level of play expected in the Cup. Mali is a good example. Add the inexperience to the mix. Third, there is a definite language barrier. I am sure that many of the refs would rather caution the players verbally before pulling out that card but it is difficult to do that when you don't speak their language and I am sure even accents get in the way during the speed of the game. And don't forget the ego of the players. Lastly, I have no idea if FIFA itself is putting on a lot of pressure to hand out those cards.

The aggressiveness of the play in the Cup is far beyond what we see in professional football even at the upper levels. I never went beyond officiating semi-pro teams but if I had seen much of the play at those levels years ago I would have worn my pocket out pulling cards! I understand it is all part of the game now and at this level.

Note that none of the above excuses some of the outright bonehead calls I have seen made. One can only hope that such calls do not alter what would have been the outcome anyway, but things like the mystery nullified goals, or the double-handballs that were not called do alter it. And that is a tragedy. If we expect these players to be the best in the world and the team that wins to be World Champion then we should expect best-in-the-world officiating and that is just not happening.

G81

Registered User.
Local time
I think overall the refereeing and the linesmen have been great. Apart from the handball and the Kaka sending off.

The aggressiveness of the play in the Cup is far beyond what we see in professional football even at the upper levels.

I think its the opposite, but then again I've never watched football in the US so I don't know what it's like there. I watch alot of premiership and 1st division football in the UK and it is much more aggressive than the world cup has been.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:25
Rough play can be controlled by the Governing Body.

Australian Rugby League of the 70's and early 80's was just one punch up after the other until the Refs were told to rain it in.

Nothing like playing with half your team sin binned to get the play back to a good sporting game.

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
I think overall the refereeing and the linesmen have been great. Apart from the handball and the Kaka sending off.

There have been some brilliantly called matches that I have watched. The USA/Algeria match was one, except for the call by the RA that denied a perfectly good goal that could have been a crucial mistake. Unfortunately when an attacker pushes so close to "even" the RA has to be in exactly the right place or risk blowing the call. I suspect that is what happened. As a ref I always instructed my RAs that in the case of a close one, do not call offside unless you are absolutely 100% sure. The Belgian ref in this match called an outstanding game and that certainly contributed to this match being one of the best and most suspenseful so far of the Cup.

But others I have watched have not been so well called. One can hope that the less capable officials have been weeded out now and the remaining rounds will be well officiated. Recent history of Cups, unfortunately, have shown that this is not usually the case. But one can hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom