FIFA World Cup 2010 (1 Viewer)

Freshman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:31
I have been trying to figure out the start times in South Africa but since it will be autumn there, do they have Daylight Saving Time?

We should actually have so that the guys from Cape Town can stop bragging about their late sunsets in summer, but we don't.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Yesterday, 23:31
Anyway, this time, I am on Brazil - maximum bet.

note also that South American Teams have always won when played in Southern Hemisphere,

Brazil are only Southern team to win when played in Northern Hemisphere (3 times in fact I think - I think Japan is Northern Hemisphere without checking - also in Sweden and US of A)

Mexico is N Hemisphere isn't it - in which case Brazil again - and Argentina.

statsman

Local time
Today, 02:31
Mexico is N Hemisphere isn't it - in which case Brazil again - and Argentina.

They generally speak in terms of "hemisphere" since the World Cup was only played in Europe or the Americas until recently.

Brazil is the only country to win outside its own hemisphere, having done it twice.

statsman

Local time
Is England in mourning?

Having drawn against a plucky (and, granted lucky) USA side, all the ex-Brits in Toronto are crying in their beer. :D

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Is England in mourning?

Having drawn against a plucky (and, granted lucky) USA side, all the ex-Brits in Toronto are crying in their beer. :D

Knowing all you have to do to begin with is qualify out of the group - anyone with a brain knows as yet its not too much of a problem.

Thats not to say a win wouldn't have been better - obviously.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:31
anyone with a brain knows as yet its not too much of a problem.

Could be a nice US sponsorship deal on the cards for Mr Green :p

KenHigg

Local time
I don't know much about soccer and was watching some of the GER/AUS match and there was a constant buzzin, humming, loud noise in the back ground that sounded like thousands of fans were blowing those horn type things mounted on cans you carry around... Was that normal? What was that noise?

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I don't know much about soccer and was watching some of the GER/AUS match and there was a constant buzzin, humming, loud noise in the back ground that sounded like thousands of fans were blowing those horn type things mounted on cans you carry around... Was that normal? What was that noise?

Its normal in SA football games. They are trumpets type things called vuvuzelas.

Many people really dont like the noise - I seem to tune it out so it doesn't bother me. But I suppose it does drwon out the atmosphere as we would want to hear it - ie Dutch, English fans or whoever singing.

But is in SA - so vuvuzelas are in.

KenHigg

Local time
I see. I hadn't ruled out my TV set going on the blink :p

Thanks for the insight, now I'll appear real smart when I explain it to my redneck buddies :)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I see. I hadn't ruled out my TV set going on the blink :p

Thanks for the insight, now I'll appear real smart when I explain it to my redneck buddies :)

A good bluff of knowledge is , whenever the ball goes out of play towards the opponents goal (ie off the side of the pitch) - shout loudly at the referee/tv whatever "Offside!" in an accusatory manner.

The rednecks will think your a genius - and the rest of the world will marvel at
your soccer knowledge.

I am being a little mischevious with this advice!

--

Lots of younsters play the game dont they - so many will know the rules from watching the kids, if not professional games?

KenHigg

Local time
I don't think I'll push my luck, somebody may actually know whats going on :p

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:31
With our 0-4 thrashing of Germany, the draw opens up nicely for Australia to march triumphantly through to the final !!!!!!

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
With our 0-4 thrashing of Germany, the draw opens up nicely for Australia to march triumphantly through to the final !!!!!!

I'm not sure you can repeat that success - cos your probably without Cahill now.

Theres always Harry Kewell - if you can pull him away from endorsements, photshoots , talking about himself , or the i'm injured list - honest , for long enough.

Last edited:

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I'm looking forward to Germany v Serbia today - the right wingers will be dangerous.

Last edited:

statsman

Local time
The refs have been incredibly inconsistent in this tournament.

The guy who did Germany/Serbia must have thought that this will be his only World Cup match. He was trying to set the record for most bookings in a match.

I may have missed it in the media but I am still awaiting the reason the USA goal was not allowed.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:31
The refs have been incredibly inconsistent in this tournament.

The guy who did Germany/Serbia must have thought that this will be his only World Cup match. He was trying to set the record for most bookings in a match.

I may have missed it in the media but I am still awaiting the reason the USA goal was not allowed.

The refs have been right up there with the goalkeeping - both terrible

USA goal not allowed because 'outsiders' are not supposed to upset the existing Europe / South America heirarchy

Australia only have 2 world class players (Cahill & Kewel) both have been sent off for non existant fouls !!!! Following last world cup where we got robbed by an Italian dive, it is clear we are not meant to be here!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom