Why is DELL Still in Business?????? (1 Viewer)

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:19
Just to play devils advocate here the main reason they are still in business imo is because they can knock out large volumes of low to mid range PC for both businesses and consumers which are perfectly adequate for everyday 'normal' tasks at a very reasonable price (have you seen their outlet store you can get some great bargains from there).

Unfortunately custom support especially from larger companies can and probably will always be patchy at best especially when you bear in mind many of these support representatives are only running from a script and are not actually trained properly.

As an ending to this tid-bit, many years ago DELL installed proprietary power supplies that looked identical to regular power supplies. If you replaced a DELL power supply with a regular power supply, there was a good chance of you frying your computer. Nice of DELL to offer you the opportunity to brick your equipment.

Warning! Dell PC owners read this before replacing your power supply

As you've said this was a few years ago and they don't do that anymore but every manufacturer often does this with say external power supplies. More over each power supply for a given product even from the same family (laptops for example) may have different power requirements and the redesign of that power supply is done to ensure you don't connect the wrong one ;).

Our Toshiba laptops are like that, the T42's and T61 both have different power supplies becuase they actually deliver different voltages

Also what would happen if you connected a different manufacturers power supply even of a similar spec and it caused a major problem, we'll you can say goodbye to your warranty.

Having said that I would never buy a Dell :p

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:19
I have two Dell desktops running right now, they are not the fastest computers, but they have been pretty reliable (Optiplex GX270 and Precision 650). On the flip side, our origanization bought several Dell servers a few years ago (for the most part we have been an HP house). About half the hard drives failed within two years on the servers. Dell replace most of them, but it was a pain. Not to mention the time spent by our techs replacing the drives.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
About half the hard drives failed within two years on the servers. Dell replace most of them, but it was a pain. Not to mention the time spent by our techs replacing the drives.

But again, the hard drives are not built by Dell. But hard drives can be a tricky piece of hardware. I've never had good luck with Seagate drives and I've had great luck with Western Digital. But like any hardware, you can get a lemon from any brand.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 06:19
Just to play devils advocate here the main reason they are still in business imo is because they can knock out large volumes of low to mid range PC for both businesses and consumers which are perfectly adequate for everyday 'normal' tasks at a very reasonable price (have you seen their outlet store you can get some great bargains from there).

Unfortunately custom support especially from larger companies can and probably will always be patchy at best especially when you bear in mind many of these support representatives are only running from a script and are not actually trained properly.

As you've said this was a few years ago and they don't do that anymore but every manufacturer often does this with say external power supplies. More over each power supply for a given product even from the same family (laptops for example) may have different power requirements and the redesign of that power supply is done to ensure you don't connect the wrong one ;).

Our Toshiba laptops are like that, the T42's and T61 both have different power supplies becuase they actually deliver different voltages

Also what would happen if you connected a different manufacturers power supply even of a similar spec and it caused a major problem, we'll you can say goodbye to your warranty.

Having said that I would never buy a Dell :p
My principle motivation for the post is the use of proprietary "products". Companies are in business to make money, I can't argue with that; but the use of proprietary products that can brick your equipment is very disturbing.

If US industry can implement "universal" DRM such as CSS and electrical engineers can design standard specifications for USB, then designing universal power cords and power supplies should be a no-brainer. The fact that they purposely don't is troublesome. Competition should be based on providing the best products and service.

statsman

Local time
But how many every day consumers or Purchasing Directors look at power cords or know the difference between good and bad components?

Priority 1: Will it run the software?
Priority 2: What's the price?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
But how many every day consumers or Purchasing Directors look at power cords or know the difference between good and bad components?

True, but the point is that the some companies, such as Dell, are voluntarily and willfully undertaking abominable behavior that "hurts" their customers. These companies have the free will not to implement proprietary products. While these deplorable "strategies" may not be illegal, our corporate leaders are setting a very damaging example for society. Do we really want to end-up with a third world economy where corruption is the norm? These companies can act ethically and should.

While proprietary power supplies may seem trivial and not represent a smoking gun, it may be an indicator of "greater" issues that are not readily seen. Apple supplier admits to payments amid kickback allegations

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Dell is still in business and will remain in business as long as people and companies are purchasing their products. Their products might suck but they have a cleaver marketing strategy.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:19

Priority 1: What's the price?
Priority 3: What's the price?
Priority 4: What's the price?
Priority 5: What's the price?
Priority 6: What's the price?
Priority 7: How does it look?
Priority 8: What's the price?
Priority 9: What's the price?
Priority 10: What's the price?
Priority 11: What's the price?
Priority 13 + X: Will it run the software?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 11:19
Priority 1: What's the price?
Priority 3: What's the price?
Priority 4: What's the price?
Priority 5: What's the price?
Priority 6: What's the price?
Priority 7: How does it look?
Priority 8: What's the price?
Priority 9: What's the price?
Priority 10: What's the price?
Priority 11: What's the price?
Priority 13 + X: Will it run the software?
What is priority 12:confused:

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:19
You are not even allowed to guess that

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Sure, we can't blame them ENTIRELY for failing WD hard drives, although case design and other factors can easily cause hard drives to fail, but we can blame them for the horrible customer service they provide when such drives fail. They seem to insist on taking forever and sidestepping for replacement parts, even with corporations that require such parts for business. Also, when it comes to proprietary parts, their parts are far MORE expensive than a comparable industry standard part. This sort of legal sidestep should seriously be investigated.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Gentleman, Gentlemen, what interesting reading!! It is a discussion I have heard all my life. On every product made. It truly does have a bit of luck involved. Two people can have the same car, and both have different luck. The reason for butting in here, I have a HP, two Toshiba and a Asus. The Asus is not by choice. I spilled ice water on my other computer (Sony) and when Best Buy could not fix it they gave me a new one. Question 1. Is Asus made by Dell, If not who? Question 2. When I went in to Best Buy a sales person and a tech person picked out a Sony that they said was equivalent to my ice water computer. They gave me the charge for extended warranty and was about to ring it up when the store manager came over and took it away from me. He then gave me this Asus . No amount of arguing could change his mind. Has anybody else ever had trouble with Best Buy in this manner.

Code:
In answer to Question #1 (Is Asus made by Dell, If not who?)
[LIST]
[*]TH Tung, Ted Hsu, Wayne Hsieh, and MT Liao founded Asus on 2 April 1990 in Taipei, Taiwan
[*]All four founders worked as computer engineers for Acer.
[*]The company explains the name Asus as originating from Pegasus, the winged horse of Greek mythology.
[*]The new organization used only the last four letters of the word in order to give the resulting name a high position in alphabetical listings.
[/LIST]

statsman

Local time
True, but the point is that the some companies, such as Dell, are voluntarily and willfully undertaking abominable behavior that "hurts" their customers. These companies have the free will not to implement proprietary products. While these deplorable "strategies" may not be illegal, our corporate leaders are setting a very damaging example for society. Do we really want to end-up with a third world economy where corruption is the norm? These companies can act ethically and should.

While proprietary power supplies may seem trivial and not represent a smoking gun, it may be an indicator of "greater" issues that are not readily seen. Apple supplier admits to payments amid kickback allegations

Are you sure you're talking about Dell?
Sounds like the standard Microsoft rant. :D

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
It is shameful that companies are not forced into standardization and can have proprietary items - the windshield wipers from my wifes Hyundai Accent do not interchange with the ones on the Cadillac CTS :mad:

SimonB1978

Registered User.
Local time
But you don't NEED to go to the Cadillac dealer to buy windshield wipers....

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Nobody said Apple is any better than Dell in this regard :)

Just pointing out that there are other companies who are just as guilty. I'm sure an in-depth research could produce many, many other examples.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I don't agree that companies should be forced to adapt a "standard." That gives too much power to the government to enforce private business. Think about the little guy and what he/she would have to go through. That kind of practice would only benefit the super power corporations. In my opinion, if a company wants to have their own proprietary parts, provided they meet all safety regulations, it's their business. If you want to buy from a company that does such a thing, that's your business, but be prepared to deal with the consequences of such an act. I just prefer to do business with companies that don't force you to come back to them. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom