What is new in the new version (1 Viewer)

hfsitumo2001

Local time
Today, 07:26
Hello, I keep updating my Inventory database that is already go live. My question is where can I store the information of each version. I do not want to keep in in the table, but just somewhere in the software that just the developer that can access it and know the information

Thank you.

Frank

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:26
Why would you not want to use a table? In all my apps, I keep a table (actually 2, one for version and the child level for change details) in the FE since the version information is specifically related to the FE where I log changes and enhancements. I have a form to view the info which only the developer can update and a report which can be produced for the user if he wants to see it. Plus in the version table, I add the version number of the BE that the FE should be linked to. The BE also has a version table and when the FE opens, it compares the BE version in the current FE version record to the BE version listed in the BE table to ensure they match.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:26
Not sure if you are talking about storing what the app does or recording changes made

If the latter, I use a module (all comments) to store changes since 90% if not more result in code changes. I give each change a unique reference and include that reference wherever I have made changes, might be one, might be several and include additional information at that point if necessary - easy then to find all the related changes across multiple modules

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 09:26
I use database properties to store info in both the front end and back end. Things like version numbers etc.

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
hi Frank @hfsitumo2001

Like Boyd @HiTechCoach, I also like using database properties. Here's a page with code you can use to read, write, show, and delete properties.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
For my biggest project, I kept a table of DB versions with a set of notes about each change. I had a junction table between the version and the trouble tickets that were solved in each version - and a separate relation for the version in which the ticket was filed. The tickets held detailed lists of which modules were changed and in what way. I also had backup copies of each DB with the version number tagged into the name. The FE had a very small table of useful things to be displayed including version numbers. AND I had a way to know whether a particular FE would work with a BE. (I would have used the "update on every launch" scripts but our IT security department balked.)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I usually work with a combined FE and BE in the developer version.

For significant changes, I save a copy as mydb_1a.accdb or mydb_2a.accdb etc.

For minor changes,
mydb_1a.accdb, mydb_1b.accdb

I keep a copy of each iteration on the PC, and also copy each iteration to a Google Drive Folder, WORK/CUSTOMERNAME/

In the Google drive folder I have a Google Doc named
"mydb_Notes" where I keep notes about each database iteration and diaries my thoughts where necessary.

For really head scratching stuff I do a screen cast of the database, talking my way through a particular problem. This video walkthrough, is usually for my eyes only.

I save the video walkthroughs into the same Google drive folder.

I have a another Google drive folder which is shared with the customer. In this folder, I can drop video walkthroughs to demonstrate to the customer, particular features and/or progress reports.

If the customer prefers Dropbox, I do the same with Dropbox.

In the PC folder I create links to the Google Drive Folder and the Notes Document. This ties it altogether nicely.

Last edited:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 22:26
i would prefer post #3, put in module and password-locked it.
Database Properties can be easy snooped:
Code:
Private Sub t()
Dim prop As Property
Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Set dbs = CurrentDb
For Each prop In dbs.Containers("databases")("UserDefined").Properties
    Debug.Print prop.Name, prop.Value
Next
End Sub

Cotswold

Local time
As with everyone else I have a hidden table in the FE that holds all of the version update details. As soon as a change is made, however trivial I add an entry to the updates table. If I make two or three a day, or a month, or a year, I add an entry for each so it is a complete diary of changes. If any updates are client requested I have notes in a field for my information only and notes for charging. (on a busy day it can be so easy to make a quick change and forget to send an invoice, or to do three or four small changes and miss one off!!)

When the FE opens it reads the revisions table and shows the latest revision at the bottom on the opening program control screen. This means that everyone always knows the version in use. If there is a support call I can know at the start which version they are running. If a user wants to see details of the updates they simply double-click the revision on the FE and can scroll through all of the revisions. These show the revision numbers, dates and the details that I allow the user to see.

I maintain backups of each version and maintain previous copies for a time that are renamed with a revision reference. That way if an issue arises I can step back to an earlier version with confidence. I will then decide later which older versions I can delete.

Last edited:

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
not everyone else, @Cotswold (smile) ... I use Excel to keep track of changes. For me, that's easier since I can open it in another window. To each their own though!

hfsitumo2001 , As for version, I often also display it on (at least) the main form, and sometimes I just use a label not a function to show a database property

Last edited:

Cotswold

Local time
@strive4peace ..... I often also display it on (at least) the main form, and sometimes I just use a label....

Presume that means you have to manually update the Rev Nº on each amendment? I don't want to do anything that software will automatically do for me without my intervention. That way nothing is forgotten. But everyone to their own, if a method suits then nothing wrong with that at all. After all there is never one 'correct' way of doing things in software. In fact the nice thing about standards, rules and opinions, is that there are so many to choose from.

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
the value that often gets forgotten about is the vba project name/version. It initially takes the name of the db but doesn't subsequently update when the name is updated. May not matter to some but I find it useful to keep that up to date on version changes as well. Particularly relevant when used as a library file.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Hello, I keep updating my Inventory database that is already go live. My question is where can I store the information of each version. I do not want to keep in in the table, but just somewhere in the software that just the developer that can access it and know the information

Thank you.

Frank
I used to keep a version log, that kept details of the changes in each version?
As I used Bob Larsen's FE Updater code, I just had to use the code below on the switchboard form.
Code:
Me.lblVersion.Caption = "Version: " & DLookup("[fe_version_number]", "tbl-fe_version")

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:26
I usually work with a combined FE and BE in the developer version.

For significant changes, I save a copy as mydb_1a.accdb or mydb_2a.accdb etc.

For minor changes,
mydb_1a.accdb, mydb_1b.accdb

I keep a copy of each iteration on the PC, and also copy each iteration to a Google Drive Folder, WORK/CUSTOMERNAME/

In the Google drive folder I have a Google Doc named
"mydb_Notes" where I keep notes about each database iteration and diaries my thoughts where necessary.

For really head scratching stuff I do a screen cast of the database, talking my way through a particular problem. This video walkthrough, is usually for my eyes only.

I save the video walkthroughs into the same Google drive folder.

I have a another Google drive folder which is shared with the customer. In this folder, I can drop video walkthroughs to demonstrate to the customer, particular features and/or progress reports.

If the customer prefers Dropbox, I do the same with Dropbox.

In the PC folder I create links to the Google Drive Folder and the Notes Document. This ties it altogether nicely.
I like the idea of video walkthroughs with customer. I've been retired for quite a while, but recall one of my work contacts who insisted on a video presentation(s) by consultant/contractor --- features of the application and technical overview and "potential areas of concern" sort of thing. Much better than a meeting or brief discussion --good reference tool also.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Much better than a meeting or brief discussion --good reference tool also.

Exactly!

Composing a screencast can be a bit daunting, I mean sitting in front of the PC talking to yourself is just not natural!

However you do something very similar. You pick the phone up and chat away to someone.

When you do a screen cast just imagine you are on the phone to someone, explaining what's on your screen....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom