The Slightly Obscure Music Discussion And Quizzy Thread (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 13:50
Just watched an HBO documentary on the Bee-Gees. I'll give it a "B" rating. I've always enjoyed the Bee-Gees, but never realized the depth of their music. I guess that I had it stuck in my head that they were a Disco band, which they are not after watching the documentary. A good documentary to watch.
Yes, I preferred their stuff from the 60's when Robin Gibb took the lead. The disco era was OK but I wasn't keen on Barry Gibb falsetto- nowhere near as good as Frankie Valli of the Four Seasons. But good on the Bee Gees, they made a mint of money.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:50
Yes, I preferred their stuff from the 60's when Robin Gibb took the lead. The disco era was OK but I wasn't keen on Barry Gibb falsetto- nowhere near as good as Frankie Valli of the Four Seasons. But good on the Bee Gees, they made a mint of money.
Col

Got to agree with you there, Col. Frankie Valli led the way in that era. Lots of doo-wop groups had a falsetto singer, but the Four Seasons produced some of the most indelible hits. When playing around at my home keyboards, I still play a few of their numbers.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Awesome band! See if they put a smile on your face.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Their background intro reminds me of the DOOM music.

Can't say they do anything much for me. For some reason I was reminded of Kill Bill vol 1, last segment before the confrontation between the bride and GoGo. Crazy 88s came in later, similar kind of music representing a frenetic environment. Which it was.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
They created a new genre called Kawaii Metal, which is an unusual blend of J-pop and metal. I like it!

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:50
1687225691627.png

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
They created a new genre called Kawaii Metal, which is an unusual blend of J-pop and metal. I like it!
Not bad well arranged and well played - some complain about a loss of musicianship in modern bands but when you see songs like that you can see there are still people around and able to craft excellent music. I kind of prefer it to most K pop but not sure that K popl is my thing.

I ve just scored tickets to see Yuja Wang in Edinburgh in August so I am chuffed.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Not bad well arranged and well played - some complain about a loss of musicianship in modern bands but when you see songs like that you can see there are still people around and able to craft excellent music. I kind of prefer it to most K pop but not sure that K popl is my thing.

I ve just scored tickets to see Yuja Wang in Edinburgh in August so I am chuffed.
I liked the contrast of heavy and cute pop. It's like Roast Pork and apple sauce! They got 178M views on that video so it seems others think the same.

One of my favourite musicians is Angelina Jordan. I mentioned her on the forums before, but she was 13 at the time. Well, she has now turned 17 and she gave backing music to some model competition in Germany. Her vocals are amazing!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 08:50
Stumbled across this song and then subsequently the band (Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats) yesterday. Mighty fine....

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
This is a bit of a crossover post to the ChatGPT post and the other posts about it snowing all over the place and, although a bit late for xmas, its close enough I think.

Steven Wilson (lead singer of Porcupine Tree) with his first ever xmas tune.
Lyrics and visuals by AI.

"Challenged by a friend last week on why I’d never done a Christmas song, I protested it wasn't really me, and besides I didn’t think I had it in me to write suitably Christmassy lyrics. "No problem”, he said, "we’ll get ChatGPT to do it for you!", upon which he instructed the AI to generate Christmas lyrics in the style of Steven Wilson. Which it proceeded to do so. By the yard, in fact, I was shocked at how instantaneous and easy it was to guide it ("don’t actually mention Christmas" we said to it, "make it feel more lonely”…etc)

I’m still not entirely sure what I think about AI, the knee-jerk reaction is to consider it a threat to a musician like me, but it’s clearly not going away, so this is my experiment to try embracing it and using it as a tool in the creative process. And of course also to have some fun doing something I would never normally have thought about doing, the archetypal seasonal song. December Skies is the result, swiftly recorded last weekend and written in collaboration with an Artificial Intelligence version of myself. I wonder what people will make of it. I wonder what I make of it.

In keeping with the artificial intelligence theme, the visualiser for December Skies has also been generated using a purpose built AI system created by Miles Skarin. The video is based on imagery drawn from some of my previous videos then placed into 2D and 3D backdrops"

murphybridget

Local time
Today, 20:50
Music has a unique power to transport us to another world, whether we're playing or listening. The harmonies of The Everly Brothers or the Beach Boys can whisk us away, while emulating guitarists like Hank Marvin adds to the joy of playing. Keep strumming and enjoying the journey!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Music has a unique power to transport us to another world, whether we're playing or listening. The harmonies of The Everly Brothers or the Beach Boys can whisk us away, while emulating guitarists like Hank Marvin adds to the joy of playing. Keep strumming and enjoying the journey!
Totally agree. I've been in bands since the late 60's. Now I play at home, I try to be like Hank and enjoy trying to recreate the 'Shadows sound'.
Col

murphybridget

Local time
Totally agree. I've been in bands since the late 60's. Now I play at home, I try to be like Hank and enjoy trying to recreate the 'Shadows sound'.
Col
I'm glad somebody agrees with me. I hope you are enjoying your "little house gigs".

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
About once per month, when my wife's chapter of the Hallmark Collector's Club meets at our house, I am the entertainment committee. I put on about half an hour to an hour of organ music. Mixed standards, pops, Broadway, light classical. For which they feed me. Plus I practice now and then. It is nice to have a decent instrument at the house.

jpl458

Local time
Today, 05:50
As discussed in a previous Off Topic Thread I have started this as a place to discuss all things vaguely related to Music & Lyrics, and a quiz just for good measure.

I need to start with a picture quiz so here goes - An easy peasy one to get things going.

View attachment 81567

Lyrics and song please.
James Dean is mentioned in American Pie,

murphybridget

Local time
Go for it AB. It doesn't matter if you are good, bad or Segovia.

I find (and always have) that music has a strange ability to lose the player from daily life and you are immersed in a whole new world. It doesn't matter if you play or listen, if you fancy it go for it. Listen to the fabulous harmonies of The Everly Brothers or Beach Boys, you get transported to another place.
I try to emulate a British guitarist called Hank Marvin, to hear him, look up 'Apache' by The Shadows on YouTube, I'm absolute rubbish but I enjoy trying.
Col
Absolutely, Col! Music has this magical ability to transport us to another realm, whether we're playing or listening. It doesn't matter if we're virtuosos or just strumming along—it's about the joy and escape it brings. Emulating legends like Hank Marvin is all part of the fun, regardless of skill level. Keep enjoying the journey!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
It's a journey I've been on since I learned to play drums 60 years ago aged 12. It started with 'Let There Be Drums' by Sandy Nelson (hear it on Spotify) then through various groups and European tours, I'm still at it. Now I play guitar just at home, drums are too loud.
Col

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 08:50
Going to offer up an easy one, heard this on the Sirus "'80's" channel...

waltz-687x1030.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom