RichText ActiveX Control Unsupported? (1 Viewer)

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 06:03
I'm having trouble using a RichTextBox ActiveX control (RichTx32.ocx) in Access 2003, Windows XP. I've regsvr'ed it. I've Tools->ActiveX Controls->Registered it. Code->Tools->References is not missing. Private WithEvents rtb as RichTextBox compiles fine. I've tried copying a version of this file from a Windows 2000 machine where it works, and this makes no difference. If I load a form with this control on it, written on a different machine, a run-time error is generated that says, "There is no object in this control"

When I try to place the control on a form in design view, a message box with my application name in the title, says
"<myappname> does not support this activex control"

Any information that might lead to a solution would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:03
This might be a Windows problem related to a requirement that after WinXP Service Pack 2, you can only run signed ActiveX modules. Do you know if you have applied SP2 for WinXP? Have you visited the Windows Update site and checked for a new version of this particular .OCX file? Is the .OCX signed? Though to be honest if the above was the problem, you should never have been able to register it... but I've not seen that one before so I'll admit to guessing on your problem.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Doc Man:
Thanks for looking at it, but spooky problem eh?
I'll check out your suggestions and report back if I have news.
Mark
:)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:03
XP has all sorts of security stuff built-in. But I'll admit I didn't expect an Office component to run afoul of the policy. I would have thought that Office-originated controls would be safe to initialize.

SPooky indeed.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
And the really rotten part is I followed all their little steps and the %&**&*^er still doesn't work.
Welcome to the terrorism of excessive security. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom