access dB to sharepoint - urgent (1 Viewer)

sc2227

Local time
Today, 10:36
I need to publish my access db (containing tables, queries, forms) to an online sharepoint server. I need to purchase a sharepoint plan. If I purchase Sharepoint plan 2 (fromMicrosoft's website: Compare SharePoint Online options) will I get the sharepoint server that is needed for me to publish my access database online or is there another plan I need to buy. Please let me know, it is urgent.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 13:36
Microsoft is dispensing with its support of Access Web apps. Best to find a different alternative.

sc2227

Local time
It doesn't seem like Microsoft is doing away with it if they are still offering the share point plans with full support as stated on the plans website.

sc2227

Local time
Your link is not relevant to my question. It discusses access web apps which mine is not. I asked how to migrate my access database on my PC to Sharepoint. SharePoint is listed in your link as an alternative choice. It would be great if I can be pointed to where where I can find to install the SharePoint server and if I have to buy a Sharepont plan from Microsoft.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
In your initial post, you stated your desire to "publish your DB to Sharepoint..." which is exactly what the article addresses.

If you are simply looking to use SP as a BE for your split DB (which is what I do) then you should have no issues.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sharepoint lists are a poor choice for an Access BE since they are not a relational database. If your tables are limited to a few thousand rows and you don't nee anything except very basic RI, you'll probably be fine. But there are better ways to use Access over the internet. Citrix is the best.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Sharepoint lists are a poor choice for an Access BE since they are not a relational database. If your tables are limited to a few thousand rows and you don't nee anything except very basic RI, you'll probably be fine. But there are better ways to use Access over the internet. Citrix is the best.

Could not agree more. To get them to behave optimally, I had to de- normalize my three main tables which was on the verge of malpractice.

However, I work with a classified government system that is so locked down that installing new software is virtually impossible. I asked about the possibility of SQL and Citrix, two systems the gov already uses and although there IS a procedure in place to obtain the service, it takes an act of congress and about 3 years to bring about. Madness.

But I was pleasantly surprised by the speed and efficiency of the Access 2010 Caching feature(s). My table structures are abismal but only I know it. One of my remote activitys is in the Middle East while the server is in Italy...we are able to share the same BE without significant latency.

There are some issues with connectivity and I do have to "get under the hood" to fix mutated records from time to time but it is much better than the system we had.

Hopefully the approval for Citrix services will come through before I leave, otherwise, the poor fool who has to come behind Me and clean up my mess is going to have to do it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom