Remove record via selection from list box and button (1 Viewer)

candyskullsfishbones

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:33
Hi there, I have a form adding records to a table at the press of a button, and generating a preview of the records on a list box. My question is, is it possible to click on one of the records previewed in the list box and create a command button to remove the record selected on the list.

I have already created a button to completely delete all records from the table and update the preview, however I want to be able to remove just one at a time.

If this functionality is possible what kind of code would I use? Table name is Prep_List_Maker_Tbl and form name is Prep_List_Maker

Thanks in advance for your help <3

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:33
Hi. Let’s say your table has a PK called ID and the Listbox is bound to it. Then, you could try something like:
Code:
strSQL="DELETE FROM Prep_List_Maker_Tbl WHERE ID=" & Me.ListboxName
CurrentDb.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Assuming your table has a Primary key the you could simply run a delete query on pressing the button. Something along the lines of

Code:
Dim sSql as Sstring

sSql = "DELETE * FROM Prep_List_Maker_Tbl WHERE YourPKID = " & Nz(Me.YourList,0)

Currentdb.Execute sSql, dbFailOnError

candyskullsfishbones

Registered User.
Local time
I don't have a primary key as I need to allow duplicates in the input fields and any attempt to create a primary key removed the ability to allow duplicate entries. the list is displaying the field name Costume if that alters it whatsoever

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I don't have a primary key as I need to allow duplicates in the input fields and any attempt to create a primary key removed the ability to allow duplicate entries. the list is displaying the field name Costume if that alters it whatsoever

What is in the row source of the Listbox?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The row source is the field named Costume

Sorry, that doesn’t make sense. Does the table only have one field? Normally, the row source would be the name of a table or a query or an SQL statement.

candyskullsfishbones

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, that doesn’t make sense. Does the table only have one field? Normally, the row source would be the name of a table or a query or an SQL statement.

The Prep_List_Maker_tbl has 5 fields sorry, the list box is only displaying the costume field on the form

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The Prep_List_Maker_tbl has 5 fields sorry, the list box is only displaying the costume field on the form

Okay, that makes sense. So now, go to the properties window of the Listbox and tell us what is in the row source property. And while you’re at it, also please tell us what number is in the bound column property. Thanks.

candyskullsfishbones

Registered User.
Local time
Okay, that makes sense. So now, go to the properties window of the Listbox and tell us what is in the row source property. And while you’re at it, also please tell us what number is in the bound column property. Thanks.

Row source: SELECT [Prep_List_Maker_Tbl].Costume FROM Prep_List_Maker_Tbl ORDER BY [Costume];

Bound column: 1

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Row source: SELECT [Prep_List_Maker_Tbl].Costume FROM Prep_List_Maker_Tbl ORDER BY [Costume];

Bound column: 1
Thanks. That's much better. You could try this, but make sure you have a backup first:
Code:
strSQL="DELETE FROM Prep_List_Maker_Tbl WHERE Costume='" & Me.ListboxName & "'"
Unfortunately though, this will delete all duplicate records as well. If you want to only delete one record, you should consider adding a primary key to the table.

candyskullsfishbones

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks. That's much better. You could try this, but make sure you have a backup first:
Code:
strSQL="DELETE FROM Prep_List_Maker_Tbl WHERE Costume='" & Me.ListboxName & "'"
Unfortunately though, this will delete all duplicate records as well. If you want to only delete one record, you should consider adding a primary key to the table.

Thank you! Works perfectly! Thank you so much for all your help! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom