Distribute MS Access (1 Viewer)

Harmonic

Local time
Today, 19:32
Hi,

I want to distribute an Access database to users, some of whom may not have Access installed on their computers.

The database has been developed using Access 2003 and I was wondering how I can distribute the database as a runtime version to my users.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Harmonic

statsman

Local time
Today, 14:32
The runtime version would be installed on each machine you wish to access the database through.
The problem/advantage with runtime is that no alterations to the table structure, forms, queries reports etc. can be made using runtime.
You can still enter, edit, update or delete records.

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:32
Hi,

I want to distribute an Access database to users, some of whom may not have Access installed on their computers.

The database has been developed using Access 2003 and I was wondering how I can distribute the database as a runtime version to my users.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Harmonic

You would need the Developer Edition of office to distribute the 2003 runtime, the Access 2007 runtime is apparently free but I don't know if it works with older versions of Access.

Harmonic

Local time
Yes, 2007 Access extensions are free, but when I tried to install them on a machine which has Access 2003, the installation failed stating version 2007 was required.

Just to clarify a point, I could distribute an Access database, which would be installed as a runtime version if the user does not have Access installed, is this correct?

Thanks,

Harmonic

Dom DXecutioner

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:32
hi,

if your users do not have MS Access installed onto their computers, they will NOT be able to use the database.

you could distribute your database, but the runtimes are required and as stated before you'll have to use the 2003 developers version or convert the database to a 2007 version and use the freely available runtime.

zyxwvu44

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:32
can the acess 2007 free version run on windows xp?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
you need to bear in mind that the run time version of Access gives you very little of the support you get in normal access - no sorts/filters etc from icons - you have to provide all this sort of functionality

any error will crash the programme immediately without the end/debug message, so you need very careful error handling.

there are sometimes installation issues associated with run time also

the benefits of having access on a system is well worth the modest investment, and my advice would be to avoid using run time access if possible

DrSnuggles

Well the hell is Hudson??
Local time
What are these 'Run Time' files you need to install?
With VB you can package up all the installation files are et Voila!

So what do I need to 'package up' and how??

Harmonic

Local time
Moving on from Run Time versions of Access, my database has been developed using Access 2003, can computers with previous versions of Access installed, such as 97 and so on be able to run 2003?

Thanks,

Harmonic

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:32
Moving on from Run Time versions of Access, my database has been developed using Access 2003, can computers with previous versions of Access installed, such as 97 and so on be able to run 2003?

Thanks,

Harmonic

Short answer is no, Office is backwards compatible not forwards compatible. You can run a 97 database with Access 2003, but not the other way around.

You can save your database as previous format such as 2000 or 97, but certain elements of your code may not work as expected if you develop in 2003 and then convert it to an older version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom