Watch out for Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:29
Windows 10 works well enough until those people at Microsoft decide what programs are running correctly and remove them. You cannot turn off windows 10 update only defer it.

One minute you computer is running at the top and the next it goes haywire. Not only did it shut my system restore to off, they actually removed my restore points.

Watch out for it,,, I may be going back to 7....I have lodged a complaint at Microsoft but don't expect to much.....

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:29
I've just upgraded to win10 to test out. Main gripe so far is that I want to continue to use IE (at least for now). I don't want to use Edge because I want to look for something, I'm not interested in 100's of news posts. So I set IE as the default - but a) the icon is missing from the task bar b) every time I click on a hyperlink, I'm asked which program I want to use (IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox) with the option to tick the box 'always use this app' - guess what, tick the box and it is ignored

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 21:29
Windows 10 only loaded on my *play* machine, and with what I am seeing it will not be loaded on any of my production machines...

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:29
Unfortunately Microsoft has moved to a rapid development model. In effect his means they release new features and updates without proper testing and rely on the error reports back from users and machines.

We are all beta testers now.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
To list a few...

-Edge becomes unusable (thank goodness for IE and Chrome)
-Resource hog (but this can be curbed if you know what you are doing)
-Start button ceases to function - not fun could not log off without forced shut down
-Wi-Fi stops working which I can usually fix by rebooting my modem but really? And this is definitely a Windows 10 thing because my Windows 7 laptop never loses the signal and yes, I am running them both at once. I wanted to see if it was my problem or Windows problem... several tests confirm it is a Windows 10 issue.

Every time an update rolls out something else misbehaves. I've been luckier than most can I usually figure out what's wrong and how to fix.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Meanwhile it chews up your data allowance reporting all the problems to Microsoft and there is no simple way to turn this communication off.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
BTW. The "test it on the public" strategy doesn't just apply to Windows 10.

I use Windows 7 at home and in the past twelve months, on separate occasions, I have had the sound subsystem and the Bluetooth subsystem completely disappear immediately after Patch Tuesday only to come back exactly one month later without any intervention on my part.

So my new strategy if something fails is "wait until next month before doing anything".

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
The whole data allowance thing is difficult to turn off but it can be cut back so your not eating up your *bandwidth*. I do feel that was a bit *out of bounds* on Microsoft's part. For those that are on a limited plan this cause surprise extra costs and a whole lot of complaining.

On my Windows 7 machines I have a choice to inform me before installing anything which gives one the option to hide an update that shows to be a problem. I then wait till Thursday... check for issues and choose which updates to install and which ones can wait. Removing that option from Windows 10 was just plain stupid. I heard rumors that plans to change for everyone except Home Users, so no biggie for me but I do feel for the Home Users...

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
The whole data allowance thing is difficult to turn off but it can be cut back so your not eating up your *bandwidth*. I do feel that was a bit *out of bounds* on Microsoft's part. For those that are on a limited plan this cause surprise extra costs and a whole lot of complaining.

On my Windows 7 machines I have a choice to inform me before installing anything which gives one the option to hide an update that shows to be a problem. I then wait till Thursday... check for issues and choose which updates to install and which ones can wait. Removing that option from Windows 10 was just plain stupid. I heard rumors that plans to change for everyone except Home Users, so no biggie for me but I do feel for the Home Users...

You can defer for 30 days but that is it. Like you said, it will not tell you updates are there to be installed. In fact, all you can do is schedule the time you will turn the machine off.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
All they have to do is stop supporting Windows 7 (which they will). That will force everyone from business to personal PCs to make the switch. Or risk infections from unpatched computers, it's quite ingenious.

The other option is to unplug from the net, then you can run Windows 98 if you wish.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:29
Blaster, there is a third option...

If the behavior of Win 10 gets bad enough, the U.S. Government (one of the biggest customers) will tell MS that they won't upgrade until these problems are fixed. Particularly for issues with how security updates are managed, a forced update at an inconvenient time will absolutely not be tolerated. I don't know precisely how many Windows users there are with the U.S. Government, but I can tell you that the non-classified address book for the U.S. Navy's current network has well over 10,000 Exchange/Outlook entries in it - which have to be on Windows systems. I don't know (and wouldn't tell you if I did) how many other types of Windows user entries exist in the other networks I can access via Windows.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I don't know if it's an old wives tale but I understand that some UK government departments were using Windows XP up until very recently because they couldn't get the new Windows versions passed through their rigorous security vetting.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:29
Tony, I wouldn't doubt it for a heartbeat. XP was, in my personal opinion, one of the most stable and manageable versions of Windows ever released, comparatively speaking.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
XP *was* my favorite but definitely have switch to Window 7... :D

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Well, on the bright side for Win7 users, it was released in 2009, so as long as M$ doesn't change its policy, it'll be supported until 2019.

I personally have had very few issues with Windows 10, but I'll admit that the auto-update can be annoying. I do understand why they did it, though - too many people never bothered, which left their machines vulnerable to all sorts of exploits and caused who-knows-how-much economic damage overall. And that's not even counting however many were zombies tied up in one or more botnets.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Well, on the bright side for Win7 users, it was released in 2009, so as long as M$ doesn't change its policy, it'll be supported until 2019.

With all the recent pushing and prodding, I have a feeling they are on a fast track. It just feel's urgent to me. Free free free

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
XP *was* my favorite but definitely have switch to Window 7... :D

Yeah me too,,,had one on XP and purchased one on 7... Had to change the other to 7 in order to update to win 10... I guess the old saying is true....If it is too good to be true,,,it usually is.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Having had to buy a new computer for Mrs Rabbie which came with Windows 10 already installed I found it OK so updated my laptop to 10 from 8.1. No problems so far. Still got two others running on 7 and Vista. All going OK and talking fine to eachother.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Still got two others running on 7 and Vista.
Try Linux on one or more of the "old" computers that haven't been updated. Should you decide to try Linux, before "updating" you will need to verify that there are Linux versions available to any of your highly used programs.

Linux for most applications is equal to MS Window. A major shortcoming with Linux there is no real equivalent to MS Access. Obviously a major impediment with this forum. :)

The Linux equivalent to MS Access is Base. If you think MS Access has a difficult learning curve, Base's learning curve is even steeper. I've gone to using Firefox with MySQL to work with my (home) database.

I must be getting forgetful. I seemed to have failed, in this case, to post my usual "try Linux" rant on the threads dealing with upgrading to MS Windows 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom