Blanc form (1 Viewer)

Soot

Local time
Today, 05:49
Hello,

I would like to ask for some advice regarding a problem I keep having when trying to construct a form on Access (2016). The relational database I have built contains 9 tables.

When using ‘wizard form’: I can only add 3 to 4 tables to my form order to get to the step ‘how to view your data’ and select ‘by [name table]’. Once I add more tables to the form, this option is skipped and the end result of my form is not at all what I would want it to be. Moreover, when I select 4 tables or more my form ends up completely blanc in ‘form view’ while the variables do show up in ‘design view’.

I tried to overcome this problem by starting from ‘empty form’, but the same problem occurs. Once I add one (what seems to be a completely random) variable too many, the form is shown as completely blanc in ‘form view’ while ‘design view’ does show the variables. I have no idea how to overcome this problem..

My final question concerns the use of ‘forms with subforms’ or ‘linked forms’. I have heard of many arguments pro and contra each of those but is there a clear argument to choose one or the other?

Thank you very much!

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 23:49
The answer by Ajax, in the linked thread given by CJ, gives the proper way to do this. Anytime you try to base a Form on more than one Table, which means that it is based on a Query (whether developer designed or done by Access, itself) the chances are very great that the the Form is going to be Read-Only.

Controls don't appear in Form View when three conditions exist at the same time:

• The Form is Bound to a Table or Query
  • There are No Records in the underlying Recordset or the Recordset cannot be accessed
  • The Form cannot have New Records added
The reasons that a Bound Form cannot have New Records added include:

1. AllowAdditions for the Form is set to No
  2. The underlying Query the Form is based on is Read Only
  3. User doesn't have Read and/or Write Permission for the Folder where the Data resides or there is a connection problem with the network.
  4. Folder the File resides in (in versions 2007/2010/2013/2016 ) not having been declared as 'Trusted'
  5. Form's Recordset Type is set to Snapshot

In your case, no new Records can be added because the Form is, I'm sure, Read-Only, as stated in #2 above.

Linq ;0)>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom