Solved Forms wont open on Spit Database for other users. (1 Viewer)

dconway

Local time
Today, 07:09
I have been creating a database for a trucking schedule for my company and I have everything working how I would like it to work. But when I go and put the database on our server then split the database other users on the server can't open some forms I have made. It wont open with the buttons I made or from the left navigation pane. I can use everything just fine on my computer everything works. I did notice on the other users computers I could open the forms in design view then change it to form view but that is not how I want it to work. How do I fix this?

LarryE

Local time
Today, 05:09
Once you split it into Front End and Back end parts, the Backend part ONLY goes on the server. Each user should have their own copy of the Front end on their own computer. Did you do that?

dconway

Local time
Once you split it into Front End and Back end parts, the Backend part ONLY goes on the server. Each user should have their own copy of the Front end on their own computer. Did you do that?
I didn't do that. I'll give that a try and let you all know who that works.

dconway

Local time
I didn't do that. I'll give that a try and let you all know who that works.
So I went back to my backup database that wasn't split, copied it and resplit it with the steps from the link tvanstiphout suggested and then gave the original front end database file to everyone but the issue with the forms not opening is still happening.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 13:09
Is the FE dB in a trusted folder?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
@dconway where are you located? Are you able to do a screenshare?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This COULD be a permissions problem.

When you use a split database, the front-end gets copied to each user's machine. If the user performs the action to PULL a copy from the place designated for that purpose, then the user is the owner of the copy and should have Full Control (but not less than Modify) on the FE file. If the user didn't do a pull but instead someone did a push, FE ownership might not be right.

However, the BE file is shared. Each user must also have not less than Modify rights to the files and the folder designated for this purpose. A simple test is to have the user navigate to the folder holding the back end file. Right-click on the file. In the drop-down list, select Properties From the complex tabbed box, select Security. The user needs Modify permissions on the BE file AND on the folder that is holding that file. It would be clear from that screen immediately if the user had that permission.

Typically the person who would grant these permissions must have Full Control over the file permissions, which usually means an admin. In fact, the "Modify" general level of permissions is a composite setting comprised of about a dozen more specific permissions, but the Modify option contains all that you need to run Access.

dconway

Local time
So this will sound silly but I solved the issue by going to the form properties for each user who had the issue and changing pop-up from yes to no then saving the form. Then changing pop-up from no to yes like I want and saving. Click the button and it works!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 13:09
Users shouldn't be having a db version that they can modify. :(

tvanstiphout

Local time
So this will sound silly but I solved the issue by going to the form properties for each user who had the issue and changing pop-up from yes to no then saving the form. Then changing pop-up from no to yes like I want and saving. Click the button and it works!
That hints at an incompatible compile state.
The official way to correct that is the /decompile switch of msaccess.exe.
It also hints at you being on a newer version of Access than some of your users. That is a big no-no.
And, as has already been said: you should deploy ACCDE (created on the lowest version of Access as used by your users), not ACCDB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom