3/14/2010 (1 Viewer)

mdemarte

Computer Wizard
Local time
Today, 22:50
Happy PI Day! The Math teachers @ my kids school starting celebrating this day (or the school day closest to it) a few years ago with pie. My daughter insisted on baking an apple pie for class, complete with a 3.14 made out of crust and added on top of the existing crust (not lattice). Of course, my family LOVES pie - so we made a second pie and ate some yesterday!

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 17:50
Much ado about, not a hole lot. A round hole that is.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Without wishing to be a pedant wouldn't it be how "precise" you want the calculation to be? :p

Precisely Watson, precisely :cool:

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 14:50
Now there is a maths teacher who is trying to put some fun back into functions.

Happy PI Day! The Math teachers @ my kids school starting celebrating this day (or the school day closest to it) a few years ago with pie. My daughter insisted on baking an apple pie for class, complete with a 3.14 made out of crust and added on top of the existing crust (not lattice). Of course, my family LOVES pie - so we made a second pie and ate some yesterday!

223/71 < PI < 22/7

Without wishing to be a pedant wouldn't it be how "precise" you want the calculation to be? :p

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Well, some people write their dates 3.14.2010, ... :D

You mean Americans and a few Canadians, which I believe as the normal was DD/MM/YYY has now made the official Canadian date format yyyy/mm/dd, so I don't think it is going to catch on.
:D

Brian

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 14:50
Actually it is ISO 8601 and the date format is yyyy-mm-dd. In the UK it was adopted and known as BS ISO 8601:2004 but rarely used mainly because of the national resistance to progress and improvement.

You mean Americans and a few Canadians, which I believe as the normal was DD/MM/YYY has now made the official Canadian date format yyyy/mm/dd, so I don't think it is going to catch on.
:D

Brian

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Actually it is ISO 8601 and the date format is yyyy-mm-dd. In the UK it was adopted and known as BS ISO 8601:2004 but rarely used mainly because of the national resistance to progress and improvement.
That's because we're not backwards

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time

yyyy-mm-dd is definitely an improvement too. It allows more accurate sorting and numbering, since higher values, even as strings, will always show up as higher values. :D

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
yyyy-mm-dd is definitely an improvement too. It allows more accurate sorting and numbering, since higher values, even as strings, will always show up as higher values. :D

I use this format to store my weekly backups. That way last years come befor this years.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I tried to expalin to your fellow countryman Rich that I am not french,
Don't be silly, if I thought you were I'd pass on this little ditty

JFK'S Secretary of State, Dean Rusk, was in France in the early 60's when DeGaulle decided to pull out of NATO.

DeGaulle said he wanted all US military out of France as soon as possible.
Rusk responded "Does that include those who are buried here?"
DeGaulle did not respond.

You could have
heard a pin drop

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a conference in France where a number of international engineers were taking part, including French and American. During a break, one of the French engineers came back into the room saying 'Have you heard the latest dumb stunt Bush has done? He has sent an aircraft carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims. What does he intended to do, bomb them?'

A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly:
'Our carriers have three hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people; they are nuclear powered and can supply
emergency electrical power to shore facilities; they have three cafeterias with the capacity to feed 3,000 people three meals a day,
they can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water from sea water each day, and they carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and injured to and from their flight deck. We have eleven such ships; how many does France have?'

You could have
heard a pin drop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S., English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies. At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of Officers that included personnel from most of those countries. Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English. He then asked, 'Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than speaking French?'
Without hesitating, the English Admiral replied,
'Maybe it's because the Brit's, Canadians, Aussie's and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German.'

You could have
heard a pin drop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AND THIS STORY FITS RIGHT IN
WITH THE ABOVE...
Robert Whiting, an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane. At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry on.
"You have been to France before, monsieur?" the customs officer asked sarcastically.
Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France previously.
"Then you should know enough to have your passport ready."
The Englishman said, 'The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it."
"Impossible. The English always have to show your passports on arrival in France!"
The English senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he quietly explained, 'Well, when I came ashore on D-Day in 1944 to help liberate this country, I couldn't find a single Frenchmen to show a passport to."

You could have
heard a pin drop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are proud to be English, American, Canadian, Australian, pass this on! If not, tough!

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I knew that despite your support for ManUre there had to be a reason I liked you Rich.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom