300 Movie (1 Viewer)

Jakboi

Death by Access
Local time
Today, 01:55
So anyhow seen it on opening day I thought it was awesome, but some people thought it was overhyped and all...

Anyone else see it?

Newman

Québécois
Local time
Not yet, but it seems to be great. But I think it is a movie that has to be seen at the theater. I am not sure that without the big screen it will be as good. BTW, all the specialFX were made here in Quebec. Yeah!:cool:

Jakboi

Death by Access
Local time
Oh no kidding, its off the wall. The imagery the effects and they just kick butt and kill a lot of people.

I might see it again. I saw it in the theaters but wanted to see it in an IMAX but the closest one to me is Syracuse NY...

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Ive seen it 4 times... AMAZING
IMAX in rochester had it... i went, but i had the times messed up. settled for a reg theater. still damn good

Jakboi

Death by Access
Local time
Geez Syracuse has one, Rochester...we want one in Binghamton...IMAX!!

I went to SUNY Brockport...ahh good times:rolleyes:

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
Yesterday, 22:55
300? The Host is much better...

I saw 300, the effects were pretty good but I thought the story was a bit flat considering the material. No where near as good as The Host http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNbZE8NX0nk, which I'd seen the previous weekend, now that one's definitely a must see :cool: Talk about a story with over the top heroism, desperate last stands and spectacular special effects, forget 300, go see The Host! That little schoolgirl was tougher than any 300 Spartans, hands down...

Last edited:

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
the big screen is so expensive so i think i will wait for it to come out on dvd... that way i dont like the moovee i will have a shiney mini frizbee for the same price :rolleyes:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I like using them for wallpaper, especially in a room where it gets sun. It makes for a very bright room :D

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
actually i have a bunch of those free aol cds hanging on fishline in the windows of the barn so birds dont commit suicide by flying into the glass.

statsman

Local time
This whole cycle started with "Gladiator". I thought it was a pretty good movie.

Then came "Troy"...not so good

Then came "Alexander"...pretty crappy

Now we have "300". I'll pass

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:55
Not only that, but "300" is a remake (with some liberal interpretation) of a much earlier movie called "The 300 Spartans" - it came out in late 1950's or early 1960's - not sure which.

The story is worth retelling only because it reflects a famous real battle in history and demonstrates a point that is worthy of study in all military colleges of any quality. If you find a place that gives you geographic advantages, you can do a lot more damage to your enemy who has to not only fight you but the terrain too.

The battle at Thermopylae ranks up there with the battles of Agincourt (see Shakespeare's Henry V and Bastogne (see any of dozens of movies about WWII.) I'm sure other history buffs could supply more names but I've made the point already.

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Not only that, but "300" is a remake (with some liberal interpretation) of a much earlier movie called "The 300 Spartans" - it came out in late 1950's or early 1960's - not sure which.

Actually it is based off a graphic novel by Frank Miller, who did Sin City, it is his interpretation of that Battle and the events leading up to it.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
actually i have a bunch of those free aol cds hanging on fishline in the windows of the barn so birds dont commit suicide by flying into the glass.

:D I had heard you could use CD's that way to hang in or around your garden to keep the birdies away from your veggies. I never tried it though.

As for the movie, with one kiddo turning 3 next month and another on the way next month, we don't get out to movies much. This movie looks interesting but we'll have to wait for video release/HBO whatever before we can see it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Frank Miller's graphic novel was inspired by the previous movie and by facts in history.

Regarding birds that commit suicide by flying into glass... in N'Awlins, our glass won't stay that clean. Too much humidity, too much mold. So we have to find other uses for our old useless AOL CDs. My favorite alternative use is to build small solar concentrators out of them. At least it is a "green" alternative to all that wasted plastic.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 06:55
A contact of mine on anther forum couldn't decide whether to give it five stars or one star, in this review. Based on what I know of the film, I'm not interested in the slightest.

RexesOperator

Registered User.
Local time

The story is worth retelling only because it reflects a famous real battle in history and demonstrates a point that is worthy of study in all military colleges of any quality. If you find a place that gives you geographic advantages, you can do a lot more damage to your enemy who has to not only fight you but the terrain too.

The battle at Thermopylae ranks up there with the battles of Agincourt (see Shakespeare's Henry V and Bastogne (see any of dozens of movies about WWII.) I'm sure other history buffs could supply more names but I've made the point already.

Wasn't it more of an exercise in futility, when the main Persian army went round the other side of the mountain and avoided the pass altogether? I believe the English won at Agincourt (outnumbered, yes, but still won). Culloden might be similar. Stirring stuff, but ultimately still in vain. Would the Alamo be a good analogy? Everyone killed in a delaying action, and lost the battle - but Texas won the war against Santana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom