32 Bit to 64 Bit (1 Viewer)

alayash03

Local time
Today, 09:38
Thanks to all,
Now I remove the 32 bit and install 64 bit Office.
But facing so much problem in this database. I asking one by one...

1) my subform which in the Dashboard.
Code:
ALike '*' & [Forms]![frmDashboard]![txtSearch].[text] & '*'
When I run query then blank... nothing data. But main file available data.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 14:38
use Like not ALike

if you will use ALike:

ALike '%' & [Forms]![frmDashboard]![txtSearch].[text] & '%'

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 07:38
It appears to me that Access2019-64Bit also includes Access2010-32Bit.

If I transfer an Access2019-32bit application built on a 64Bit PC onto a 64Bit PC with Access2019-64bit installed, I can run it without change by first double-clicking the application itself to open it. Then Windows opens Access2019-64Bit....but as Access 32Bit.

The application starts up in Access2010. I can then make changes and run it but as I say as an Access2010-32bit application from within Access2019-64bit software. But maybe reverting back to Access2010-32Bit isn't an option?

If I open Access2019-64bit first and then open the same application it falls over when I try to run it because Access2019-64bit is in use, not Access2010-32Bit or a 32Bit version of Access.

As a quick test, if I modify the application to AutoStart and change the FE .accdb to FE .accdR, then double-click the RunTime application, or run it from a batch file it opens up and runs without error and appears to be fine. But as an Access2010-32Bit application of course.

In summary I can apparently run a 32Bit Access program without change using Access2019-64Bit, providing I don't open Access2019-64Bit first.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi @Cotswold
Your last post is I think rather confusing so I'll attempt to clarify some points:
1. Access 2019 does NOT include Access 2010 (or any other version of Access)
2. However it is possible to install more than one version of Access on the same workstation. Normally these will be the same bitness and for this to work successfully, the older version should be installed first.
3. Contrary to popular belief, it is possible in certain cases to install both 32-bit & 64-bit Office on the same machine but they MUST be different versions. Also, for this to work the newer version MUST be 64-bit and should normally be installed first followed by an older 32-bit version
It sounds like this may be what you have done

Anyway, I described the process in some detail in this article:

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Yesterday, 23:38
Read again my reply on post#8, there is no mention there of installing anything to anything.
what i said that an .ACCDB can be used in both x32 and x64.
And that's not responsive to the actual problem at hand. The problem at hand is installing 64bit Office on a 32 bit Windows OS.

The OP has a 32 bit Windows OS. That's the entire point. In order for the OP.

arnelgp

Local time
The problem at hand is installing 64bit Office on a 32 bit Windows OS
you can have a VM and install any OS version you like (either x64 or x32).

alayash03

Local time
Hi @Cotswold
Your last post is I think rather confusing so I'll attempt to clarify some points:
2. However it is possible to install more than one version of Access on the same workstation. Normally these will be the same bitness and for this to work successfully, the older version should be installed first.
3. Contrary to popular belief, it is possible in certain cases to install both 32-bit & 64-bit Office on the same machine but they MUST be different versions. Also, for this to work the newer version MUST be 64-bit and should normally be installed first followed by an older 32-bit version
Hello Sir, Thank you very much.
I Installed my PC - 64bit OS, also installed MS Office 2016 With 64 bit.
Can Possible to Installing MS Office 2016 With 32 same PC.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Did you read what isladogs stated? :(

alayash03

Local time
Did you read what isladogs stated? :(
Yes Sir, I Read
Also, for this to work the newer version MUST be 64-bit and should normally be installed first followed by an older 32-bit version
For this line I ask him again. case, SAME PC can possible both bitnees

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
you can have a VM and install any OS version you like (either x64 or x32).
Different solution to a different problem, don't you think?

I apologize, though. This side issue went way off track in an attempt to prove a point.

It's time to move to a productive area. Thanks.

Cotswold

Local time
Hi @Cotswold

Anyway, I described the process in some detail in this article:
Thanks for that Isladogs,
In June 22 I installed onto a new 64Bit PC Access2021, from a one-off download license and the install defaulted to 64Bit. Without any options as I recall. In my earlier post I did refer to it as Access2019-64Bit in error as I'm only using Access2019 at the moment. My license was actually Office Professional Plus 2021 which was cheaper than just buying Access. I didn't need MS Office and haven't used it as I prefer Libre for documents and spreadsheets.

You are right about two copies of Access on the PC. It has both Access2021 and Access2010 but I did not install Access2010, although I have the 2010 CD.

So the Access2021 download install must have installed the copy of Access2010 by default. Until your response #26 I simply presumed that Access2021 defaulted to Access2010 if I opened a 32Bit program before opening Access. It was only after your note that I looked on the drive and there it is in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder!

I presumed Access2021 included 2010 when, as I said double-clicking a program from Explorer opened Access2010. Additionally, if I use a batch file with the single line C:\AppFolder1\AppFolder2\FrontEnd.accdb it will open Access2010 and not Access2021.

So it does appear to me then that the Office Professional Plus 2021-64Bit install includes Access2010. I've added a shortcut for Access2010 on the desktop now, so easier to switch from one to the other.

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes Sir, I Read

For this line I ask him again. case, SAME PC can possible both bitnees

As already clearly stated in post #26, it is NOT possible to install both 32-bit & 64-bit Office 2016 on the same machine (as they are the same version).
That is UNLESS you use a virtual machine for one of them.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi @Cotswold
I really don't believe that Office 2021 includes Office 2010 let alone that it installs it without asking first.
I would be incredulous if MS supplied/installed an earlier version especially as it is no longer supported, does not receive security updates and is almost impossible to activate these days.
What possible benefit would there be for MS to do this?

You say you have the Office 2010 CD. I expect you did install it at some point.

I also have a dual install of 365 & 2010. Double clicking on a file in Windows Explorer will open the file in whichever version is currently set as the default. If the default is set to 365, opening a database in 2010 will require Access to be reconfigured during which various registry settings are changed. After that, the default becomes 2010.

arnelgp

Local time
The problem occurs when the user moves the accdb to the 64 bit computer.
it is Not the .accdb that is being moved, it is the .accde.
you keep on popping on a wrong issue.

Cotswold

Local time
Hi @Cotswold
I really don't believe that Office 2021 includes Office 2010 let alone that it installs it without asking first.
I would be incredulous if MS supplied/installed an earlier version especially as it is no longer supported, does not receive security updates and is almost impossible to activate these days.
What possible benefit would there be for MS to do this?

You say you have the Office 2010 CD. I expect you did install it at some point.

I also have a dual install of 365 & 2010. Double clicking on a file in Windows Explorer will open the file in whichever version is currently set as the default. If the default is set to 365, opening a database in 2010 will require Access to be reconfigured during which various registry settings are changed. After that, the default becomes 2010.
Well Isladogs, believe it or not, it is as I have detailed. ( I've no reason to make this stuff up. The version is 14.0.4760.1000 and my version on the laptop is 14.0.7268.5000 maybe as it has had updates, which the new one won't receive )

I installed 2021 and definitely did not install Access2010, as I intended to update my programs to 64Bit over time. All of the Access work I'm involved in presently, is on Access2019-32Bit on a 64Bit Windows10 PC that will not upgrade to Win11. I intend to switch to 64Bit once the present developments are finished. I would have preferred to have had Access2021 as 32Bit but it installed as 64Bit without giving me the option.

Apart from being unnecessary, and it being a new Windows 11 PC, I didn't want to install Access2010 in case there were any issues affecting Access2021, particularly with it being relatively new version of Access last June.

I have 2010 on a Win10 laptop, if I need it just to convert any old 2000 versions of software to 2010 and then on to 2019. The Office 2021 version I have is an online download on a once-only license, so if the PC dies I have to buy another. But I don't see that as at all likely

Office2021 included Access Word, Excel, Powerpoint and other odds and sods. With Access being the only one I've opened, or ever will I guess as I have no need for the others. As I say I'd never have bought Office2021 but the offers at the time meant it was cheaper the full system than buying Access2021 alone.

Last edited:

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
it is Not the .accdb that is being moved, it is the .accde.
you keep on popping on a wrong issue.
Okay, at this point, I sense a vendetta and I'm going to respectfully ignore you.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:38
Just to clarify... the reason you cannot install different bitness of the same versions is because you will overwrite the first install when you do the 2nd install. That is because by default, the Office files use a directory structure like this: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office nn (where nn is the version number.) Installing the same version does so in the same place. IF you could assure that the only files to be installed were in that folder, you could override the default install location. However, there are other affected locations not affected by the override of the installation path. Because the version number IS part of the path, you COULD install one version of 32-bit flavor and another version of 64-bit flavor. In that case, never the twain shall meet (or something similar to that.)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Well Isladogs, believe it or not, it is as I have detailed. ( I've no reason to make this stuff up. The version is 14.0.4760.1000 and my version on the laptop is 14.0.7268.5000 maybe as it has had updates, which the new one won't receive )

OK - its obvious you are convinced by this & that I am very definitely not ...
So rather than continue to go back & forth and completely hijack the thread, I'll ask a member of the Access team to read this section of the lengthy thread and come back with a definitive answer.
Will let you know the response when I hear back

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that all versions of Access from 2010 onwards can open / edit Access 2000 / 2002 / 2003 MDB files
You do not...need it just to convert any old 2000 versions of software to 2010 and then on to 2019.

If you have older files made in Access 97, you cannot open those in any versions later than A2007

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom