alayash03

Local time
Today, 11:10
Hello everyone,
any help will appreciate.

my company install Microsoft 365 And Enterprize version
And my computer Specification 32 bit here

Capture.PNG

On this computer, I create a database .accde file. When I try to run it 64-bit computer then displays this message.

309471319_775680780212632_2373942194531010999_n.jpg

How can resolve this problem?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 16:10
you cant unless you change your OS to x64 and also the office to x64.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:10
Your problem isn't the computer but rather is the version of Access on the 2nd computer. Open your Access without naming an app file and look at the ribbon to find the File tab, then below that click Help. The blurb to the right will include internal version numbers and one more important fact - the "bitness" will appear in parentheses after the versioning info. It will tell you that you have (64-bit) Access installed. It is an option during installation as to which version of Office you install. Unfortunately, it is an all-or-nothing choice. You either have all Office programs as 32-bit or as 64-bit.

The problem revealed by that error message is caused by a little "gotcha" - for Access, the structure of objects and the nature of library calls changes between 32-bit and 64-bit and they are not compatible. There is a way to rebuild a 32-bit app so it will run in 64-bit context, but other lovely little "gotcha" cases remain. For instance, 64-bit Access isn't compatible with a lot of the libraries (think VBA page >> Tools >> References) so can't run anyway.

The SIMPLEST solution but one that some IT departments either dislike or don't recognize is to de-install Office 365 and then re-install using the option for 32-bit Office. If there is no app on your site that requires the 64-bit versions of Word or Excel (which CAN use the extended addressing safely), then you can do anything you need in 32-bit mode. It IS possible that a really bit Excel file would require 64-bit mode, but that might involve a million-row spreadsheet.

The next simplest way involves use of the PTRSAFE keyword in every function or subroutine declaration involving an object variable and a couple of other factors. Search this forum for keyword PTRSAFE to find a whole bunch of articles on the problem.

A further note: Arnelgp correctly points out that your 1st computer (that developed the app) uses the 32-bit Windows and thus CANNOT run the 64-bit version of Office. But the 2nd computer CAN (and does) run the 64-bit. So you are looking at bitness compatibility issues.

arnelgp

Local time
Your problem isn't the computer but rather is the version of Access.
the os is x32 as shown in post #1. how can he install x64 of office there?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 09:10
The next simplest way involves use of the PTRSAFE keyword in every function or subroutine declaration involving an object variable and a couple of other factors.
As the O/P appears to be starting off, perhaps that is the best route to follow?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 01:10
Your problem isn't the computer but rather is the version of Access. Open your Access without naming an app file and look at the ribbon to find the File tab, then below that click Help. The blurb to the right will include internal version numbers and one more important fact - the "bitness" will appear in parentheses after the versioning info. It will tell you that you have (64-bit) Access installed. It is an option during installation as to which version of Office you install. Unfortunately, it is an all-or-nothing choice. You either have all Office programs as 32-bit or as 64-bit.

The problem revealed by that error message is caused by a little "gotcha" - for Access, the structure of objects and the nature of library calls changes between 32-bit and 64-bit and they are not compatible. There is a way to rebuild a 32-bit app so it will run in 64-bit context, but other lovely little "gotcha" cases remain. For instance, 64-bit Access isn't compatible with a lot of the libraries (think VBA page >> Tools >> References) so can't run anyway.

The SIMPLEST solution but one that some IT departments either dislike or don't recognize is to de-install Office 365 and then re-install using the option for 32-bit Office. If there is no app on your site that requires the 64-bit versions of Word or Excel (which CAN use the extended addressing safely), then you can do anything you need in 32-bit mode. It IS possible that a really bit Excel file would require 64-bit mode, but that might involve a million-row spreadsheet.

The next simplest way involves use of the PTRSAFE keyword in every function or subroutine declaration involving an object variable and a couple of other factors. Search this forum for keyword PTRSAFE to find a whole bunch of articles on the problem.
There are a lot of good tutorials on upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit Office, and some excellent YouTube videos, including this recent one from Colin's Access Europe group.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
I am not sure, but I doubt you could even install a 64 bit application on a 32 bit operating system. But that's not the point. Note this comment.

"When I try to run it 64-bit computer then displays this message."

The problem occurs when the user moves the accdb to the 64 bit computer.

Again, I haven't had a 32 bit OS for many years, so my memory is not clear on whether you can move an accdb created in 32 bit Access on a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS, with or without 64 bit Office. If that's the case, there's a more fundamental hurdle to pass in order to get to the starting line.

arnelgp

Local time
Again, I haven't had a 32 bit OS for many years, so my memory is not clear on whether you can move an accdb created in 32 bit Access on a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS, with or without 64 bit Office. If that's the case, there's a more fundamental hurdle to pass in order to get to the starting line.
ofcourse you can move back and forth from x32 to x64, vise versa, If it is an .accdb not the .accde.

alayash03

Local time
Hello,
I create accdb file in
Microsoft® Access® 2016 MSO (Version 2209 Build 16.0.15629.20152) 32-bit

after that create an .accde file. same app.

Then try to open another computer where already installed
Microsoft® Access® 2019 64-bit

Then post #1 message display

Now, I want to run it on 64 Bit
it's possible? And how.

Edit:/
my English is not good.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Create the accde in the 64 bit version of Access.
I would suspect at this stage you have not used anything that requires 64bit?, I could be wrong, but you seem to have only just started this DB you are working on?

alayash03

Local time
Create the accde in the 64 bit version of Access.
I would suspect at this stage you have not used anything that requires 64bit?, I could be wrong, but you seem to have only just started this DB you are working on?
Great. I have copy a master file. but I don't have a computer 64bit or Office 64bit.
That is a facing problem.

alayash03

Local time
There are a lot of good tutorials on upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit Office, and some excellent YouTube videos, including this recent one from Colin's Access Europe group.
Thank you very much .
I see his video. a lot of code and a long video. He gave a link in the description box to install API PtrSafe.
Not clear where I install it. Is my computer 32 bit or Others one computer 64 bit ?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Great. I have copy a master file. but I don't have a computer 64bit or Office 64bit.
That is a facing problem.
Well, if you do not have any 64bit computers, I would have thought you need 32bit Access, so IT appear to have cocked up big time?

I am now using a 64bit computer, but still use 32 bit access.
I'll leave you to the people that do use 64 bit Access.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
ofcourse you can move back and forth from x32 to x64, vise versa, If it is an .accdb not the .accde.
So you can install 64 bit Access on a 32 bit Operating system? I can't. How did you do that.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
So you can install 64 bit Access on a 32 bit Operating system? I can't. How did you do that.
You were correct first time. You can't install 64-bit app on a 32-bit OS.
However, you can run the same ACCDB file on different machines running both 32-bit or 64-bit Access (provided the APIs are setup correctly)

alayash03

Local time
However, you can run the same ACCDB file on different machines running both 32-bit or 64-bit Access (provided the APIs are setup correctly)
if I put API in ACCDB and create it ACCDE file. can possible ACCDE file run on different machines?
if possible HOW ? what is the APIs code I use ?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No - API’s are functions external to access and you are either using them or not. So ok as a .accdb because the code compiles when it is executed.

But a .accde is compiled based on the bitness of access creating it - so a 32bit accde will never run with 64 bit access or visa Versa

you need a 64 bit access to create a 64bit .accde

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
You were correct first time. You can't install 64-bit app on a 32-bit OS.
I think the point is that the MS Access application itself has to be the 32 bit version to be installed on a 32 bit OS. The OP moved the accdb from that computer with that OS (32 bit Windows, 32 bit Access) to a new computer where the 64 bit version of MS Office -- and hence MS Access -- was installed, and that raised the error.

I think the waters got muddied because there are two different factors to account for. A claim that 64 bit "Access" can be installed on a32 bit "Windows OS", is not accurate. That's not the same thing as taking an accdb, created with either version, and copying it to the other version.

arnelgp

Local time
I think the waters got muddied because there are two different factors to account for. A claim that 64 bit "Access" can be installed on a32 bit "Windows OS", is not accurate.
Read again my reply on post#8, there is no mention there of installing anything to anything.
what i said that an .ACCDB can be used in both x32 and x64.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:10
True, if the PTRSAFE and other related precautionary declarations are employed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom