64-bit replacement for Lebans rich-text control (rtf2)? (1 Viewer)

ishitagori5

Local time
Today, 18:35
I've been using the Lebans RTF2 ActiveX control to add rich-text editing capability to legacy 32-bit Access applications. I'm now migrating those apps to 64-bit Access. The built-in rich-text capability in Access is very limited and uses HTML encoding rather than RTF. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement? Mr. Lebans retired a decade ago, so there will be no 64-bit version of RTF2.ocx. Thanks.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:05
not quite sure what you mean - there is a menu bar for bold/italic/underline/color/inset/font size etc which is available to the user

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:05
Hmm, just a side note, 32 bit Access is not *legacy*, it is, in fact, recommended by Microsoft. So why would you migrate your applications to 64 bit?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Agree with @CJ_London
The rich text editor wasn't available when Stephen Lebans published his code.
What features aren't available in the Access version that you could do with Stephen's code?

@GinaWhipp
Actually, 64-bit is now the default installation for Office 365.
Whether we like it or not, many more users will be using 64-bit in the future

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
One of the reasons people didn't switch was the lack of 64 bit versions of controls such as these.

You might want to write to Luke Chung at www.fmsinc.com to see if he would convert the Lebans' control or contact Lebans himself.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
As already stated, Stephen retired completely from Access related activities over 10 years ago.
Whilst his website remains active, he has made it clear he will not respond to any requests
1597521204370.png

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
@GinaWhipp
Actually, 64-bit is now the default installation for Office 365.
Whether we like it or not, many more users will be using 64-bit in the future
Ouch, that is going to painful for some as not everything moves over nicely.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Then if Lebens is retired, perhaps he won't mind if Luke takes over his control. I thought that at one time FMS also had such a control but Luke may have dropped support when MS put the feature into Access.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
There are a few people on this forum that are really good at 64 bit conversions. I am not one. See discussion and read linked article.

Is there really a difference from what the API did and the newer native rich text?

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
According to the FMS site, a 64 bit version is under development:

I don't know if that's still the case or if they just haven't updated the site.

A few posters have asked what the motivation to convert the RTF control when converting a project to 64 bit, considering that Access has a rich text implementation via HTML. Without doing a side by side comparison to decide which is "better", I want to point out that many people have been using the Lebans RTF control in projects and it's likely that hundreds of users of the applications have been entering formatted data for years. I can't say for sure but I don't think that simply replacing the RTF control that's bound to existing data will convert it over to the HTML. I am sure that users don't want to use all their work!

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you want to switch from RTF to HTML, you will need to do a data conversion as well. If I had to do this, I would make use of Word. I would copy the text to an empty rtf word document and save as HTML and then bring it back. Otherwise, you will have to figure out all the details of both markup languages and that would be a whole lot more difficult. Word already does that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom