A thought for Christchurch (New Zealand) earthquake victims (1 Viewer)

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:59
Cynic much?

Not everyone who has become infected with HIV did so by choice. Between ra**, accidental exposure, and birth from an infected mother, it's still very possible to be infected through no fault of your own.

I do agree with you on the "aid" companies. I have a very strong stance that I never donate to a company or organization that: a.) I cannot see where the money is being used. b.) The organization uses guilt to coherse me into donating by showing me pictures of starving children, neglected animals, etc... You don't win my charity through guilt and exploitation. You win my charity by showing me what you will use the money for to help these situations. Show me the food you will supply or the medicine that will be available...

You see a starving child - and YOU feel exploited? Wow.

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 16:59
You see a starving child - and YOU feel exploited? Wow.

I see a starving child being shown in a video while some rich celebrity is lecturing me into feeling guilty, and I believe the CHILD is being exploited. I never said I was. :rolleyes:

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
I see a starving child being shown in a video while some rich celebrity is lecturing me into feeling guilty, and I believe the CHILD is being exploited. I never said I was. :rolleyes:

So hes starving - and exploited. (if indeed he is)

At which point your stance means you do nothing?

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Today, 13:59
So hes starving - and exploited. (if indeed he is)

At which point your stance means you do nothing?

I know what he means. It seems that the more well known and advertised the charity, the higher the percentage of donations that is spent on those ads, etc to attract yet more donations. At some point marketing and management becomes more important that the end purpose of the charity. CEO and administrative salaries skyrocket. The Susan G. Komen Foundation for breast cancer research is a good example. At one time more than 85% of donation money went directly to research. Now everyone is on the bandwagon. You see the name everywhere. It is used my commercial sponsors such as Yoplait to gain sales. Everyone is doing a walk, a run etc for it. The percentage going to research is now barely over 50%. Yes, the total dollars going to research as increased but the fact remains that the generosity of the people donating is also making a lot of people in the organization very wealthy.

Vassago

Local time
I know what he means. It seems that the more well known and advertised the charity, the higher the percentage of donations that is spent on those ads, etc to attract yet more donations. At some point marketing and management becomes more important that the end purpose of the charity. CEO and administrative salaries skyrocket. The Susan G. Komen Foundation for breast cancer research is a good example. At one time more than 85% of donation money went directly to research. Now everyone is on the bandwagon. You see the name everywhere. It is used my commercial sponsors such as Yoplait to gain sales. Everyone is doing a walk, a run etc for it. The percentage going to research is now barely over 50%. Yes, the total dollars going to research as increased but the fact remains that the generosity of the people donating is also making a lot of people in the organization very wealthy.

That is exactly my point. There are smaller organizations out there that don't spend loads on advertising and don't exploit children to show on infomercials. They do, however, provide pamphlets and statistics to show where your contributions are going. I am far more inclined to donate to research and charity organizations that provide me this information so I know how my money is being used than the ones that try the guilt-trip approach when you know they spent a lot of that money on advertising and the $500 suit they are wearing in them. They also show these children looking sad and pitiful. Come on! Do you really think they aren't instructing them how to act in the commercials? It's a ploy and I don't agree with it.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
If you are feeling that you would like to a worthwhile donation try:

To make a donation:

- Donate online at redcross.org.nz
- Donate in person at any branch of NZ Post, Kiwibank, ANZ, National Bank, ASB, TSB and BNZ across New Zealand.
- Mail a cheque (made payable to New Zealand Red Cross) to: Canterbury Earthquake Appeal, Freepost 232690, PO Box 12-140, Thorndon, Wellington 6144.

Simon

Vassago

Local time
I'm not speaking for nationally recognized disastor relief funds. Of course the Red Cross is always a good charity. The Salvation Army is also a reliable charity. I've actually done work for them during disastor situations.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
What gets me is the billions sent to Africa (as an example) over the decades, yet there is still the same level of famine and starvation going on. However, the governments seem to manage to pay for arms and weapons to fight their civil wars.

Now we are having massive police / NHS / local government cuts because of the American started global economy disaster - charity should begin at home, not some tinpot little African country.

We still give aid to India, yet on the news the other day, it said India was awash with money and giving aid to other countries - surely that can't be right?

I've been watching people die on TV through starvation since the 70's and it has no effect on me now. I really don't care that someone walks 5 miles for water - they should move closer to the water hole - simples.

Col

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
They also show these children looking sad and pitiful. Come on! Do you really think they aren't instructing them how to act in the commercials? It's a ploy and I don't agree with it.

Wow - you think a diseased malnourished infant with helpless family , surrounded by tens of thousands of others of similar unfortuates , in a war torn land, is instructed to act sad and pitiful - in order to influence you.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 13:59
True - I dont know why they also dont just off the elderly and chronically ill to save a few dollars and reduce the population count. Certainly their drain on your little countries finances are hurting those who have to work for a living and not just live on handouts and pensions.

Loads of people climb Mt. Everest these days. In fact they have to send people up there to pick up the litter and coke tins.

If people catch aids that's their fault, there are ways to avoid it. Why bother with a cure? If we keep prolonging life then we'll be overpopulated and be unable to sustain ourselves.

In fact, where are the billions of money poured into African aid gone? Why do we see the same old tired pictures of people dying? It's so boring and quite obviously a waste of money as it hasn't helped that much.

Col

Vassago

Local time
Wow - you think a diseased malnourished infant with helpless family , surrounded by tens of thousands of others of similar unfortuates , in a war torn land, is instructed to act sad and pitiful - in order to influence you.

Your words are a little over-dramatized, but yes!

Think of it like this. What you grow up with is what you are used to, but you make the best of your situation. There is no way they are sad all of the time, but they never seem to capture those non-sad moments. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Either way, if they want my help, they will show me what they do with the money, not guilt me into donating. It's really that simple.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
True - I dont know why they also dont just off the elderly and chronically ill to save a few dollars and reduce the population count. Certainly their drain on your little countries finances are hurting those who have to work for a living and not just live on handouts and pensions.

There is alot to be said about euthanasia and assisted suicide.

Col

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Your words are a little over-dramatized, but yes!

Think of it like this. What you grow up with is what you are used to, but you make the best of your situation. There is no way they are sad all of the time, but they never seem to capture those non-sad moments. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Either way, if they want my help, they will show me what they do with the money, not guilt me into donating. It's really that simple.

What who grows up with they are used to - the kids or whoever in question?

I dont know what relevence the fact that a year ago - the harvest crop hadn't failed and they hadn't been displaced has to do with it.

The fact they are starving now and desperatley need help is entirely the point surely.

DEC (Disaster and emergency Commitee) campaigns are the ones that get me to donate in particlucar.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
The point I was making was that over the last 30 years billions and billions of pounds (or dollars) have been given to Africa.

Where has it all gone?

Why do we still see the same old pictures on TV? [Yawn. . . boring. . . ]

Why do we still give blindly to Africa? (I don't, but loads do get sucked into paying for a civil war or bribery)

Why do they put these pictures of people dying of starvation on TV when you are trying to eat dinner? It almost put me off my wine the other night.

Col

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Unfortunately it seems that a lot of aid to Africa has gone straight into the bank accounts of crrupt politicians. There needs to be better checks to ensure that the money goes to help the people who really need it.

Vassago

Local time
Unfortunately it seems that a lot of aid to Africa has gone straight into the bank accounts of crrupt politicians. There needs to be better checks to ensure that the money goes to help the people who really need it.

Exactly. That's why I'm far more likely to donate to someone who can show me their work. There is a small charity here that travels there with supplies. The guy who runs it has pictures of him personally there unloading stuff. He drives around in a 90s cash car. I'm more likely to donate to him because I see the good work he does and he's not standing in a $1000 suit showing me pictures and videos of depressed children filmed with professional $10000s of equipment in order to guilt me into it. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom