A thought for Christchurch (New Zealand) earthquake victims (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 21:30
I'm glad you've finally discovered some positive reasoning for your presence on these boards.

That's that sorted. All we need to do now is work out your reasons for being here - which I admit allude me at the moment.

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 16:30
According to Fowler's "Modern English Usage" a comma is not actually needed there. Seems it is optional :)

I don't see how. In this case, he used a conditional sentence with two clauses. These two clauses require a definite pause between them, making a comma necessary. ;)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
That's that sorted. All we need to do now is work out your reasons for being here - which I admit allude me at the moment.

Col

That's pretty simple. I might learn something.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
I learned that Col can hijack almost any thread by posting an anti-American comment and waiting for me to rise to the bait.

The smart thing to do having learn't this would be to keep him waiting then.

The US is a world super power, so is ripe for criticism - we still get it for things Britain did 150 years ago.

He is allowed to be anti american - much of the world is.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Is this because everybody hates (envys) the top dog, or/and just that every body is anti everybody but themselves.?

Brian

In essence - probably yes.

Its part understandable envy and part understandable frustration with the top dogs lack of empathy with the vast majority of those who aren't top dog.

I shouldn't speak for Col - but its the way I see it.

And its also a bit of fun.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Is this because everybody hates (envys) the top dog, or/and just that every body is anti everybody but themselves.?

Brian

I think it has something to do with the involuntary loss of self-determination.

For instance the reasons given for the UK's involvement in the Iraq war must have been very galling considering Blair was just parroting Bush's rhetoric.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

For instance the reasons given for the UK's involvement in the Iraq war must have been very galling considering Blair was just parroting Bush's rhetoric.

Our media was calling him Bush's poodle, and many , if not most, of us would be happy to see him strung from the nearest yardarm.

Brian

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
It should be but my experience on the forum shows that many Americans take any critiscism of America as serious and personal.

Brian

Thats cos they have a lack of empathy with Col wanting to vent.

So far theres 4 main causes

1) Anything but you
2) The top dog
3) The top dog who looks down
4) A bit of fun

Only part 3 should bother an american really.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time

I dont think too many of us Brits think we have too much control on what our masters get us involved worth - whether they br Brits , Americans or otherwise.

I dont here too much Blair support here in the last 10 years, even when he was supposedly popular.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I'm a bit slow today as I only just realised that Dan was discussing the issue on a UK US level whereas anthony and I had gone global

Brian

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Our media was calling him Bush's poodle, and many , if not most, of us would be happy to see him strung from the nearest yardarm.

Brian

Indeed.

Do you think the media makes this resentment worse?

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I'm a bit slow today as I only just realised that Dan was discussing the issue on a UK US level whereas anthony and I had gone global

Brian

I was just using the UK as an example because that's where Col is coming from. I'm sure the same resentment exists on a global scale.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Indeed.

Do you think the media makes this resentment worse?

Probably in that through the media we know that he is earning loads of dosh in America and gallivanting round the Globe as a "Statesman" also with American backing, kinda reinforces our view as to why he behaved as he did.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom