A thought for Christchurch (New Zealand) earthquake victims (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:26
Re: A thought for Christchurch (New Zeland) earthquake victims

That should be "you can't read", don't they teach English properly in your schools?:rolleyes:
Colin's lap dog showing his teeth.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 09:26
Re: A thought for Christchurch (New Zeland) earthquake victims

That should be "you can't read", don't they teach English properly in your schools?:rolleyes:

If you separate the conjunction "don't," your sentence would read:

"Do not they teach English properly in your schools?"

This is clearly a badly worded sentence. That should be:

"That should be "you can't read." Do they not teach English properly in your schools?"

Also, you created a compound sentence and question without properly separating the two.

If you're going to correct others, at least make sure you do so correctly. ;)

:D

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:26
I believe they are still removing bodies from the rubble in Christchurch.

Vassago

Local time
Vassago should have stopped it here #2 when the thread was hijacked by his buddy.

If you have a complaint about a moderator's actions, be it mine or another staff member, the best route is to contact another moderator, admin, or the site owner and voice your opinion. Public complaints about any members are juvenile and not honestly tolerated on most forums. ;)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 14:26
Vassago is a neutral and tolerant, some may say too tolerant, moderator, I think that the adjective 'super' suits him to a T.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Earthquakes may be unpredictable, but Col's narrow-viewed attack on the U.S. is always reliable. :rolleyes:

It's such a horrible situation over there. This quake was supposed to be an aftershock from the relatively harmless one they had last year, but it was far more devastating since they were out and about in mid-day instead of the middle of the night like the original. They are in my thoughts.

The epicentre of this one was much closer to the surface.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
They are all in my thoughts and prayers, it is almost unbelievable to see some of such a pretty city crumbling and crushed piles of rubble where historic buildings stood.

Surely its just the people that count, it matters not as to whether the buildings are ugly or pretty, historic or new.

Brian

Vassago

Local time
Vassago is a neutral and tolerant, some may say too tolerant, moderator, I think that the adjective 'super' suits him to a T.

Brian

Thank you. I do try to remain pretty neutral. :)

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Surely its just the people that count, it matters not as to whether the buildings are ugly or pretty, historic or new.

Brian
I completely agree.

Nevertheless, buildings such as Christchurch Cathedral do seem to become shrines to those who have lost their lives. And monuments of hope and remembrance for those who have survived.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:26
If you have a complaint about a moderator's actions, be it mine or another staff member, the best route is to contact another moderator, admin, or the site owner and voice your opinion. Public complaints about any members are juvenile and not honestly tolerated on most forums. ;)
Complain really? I love the fact that you obsess about America 24/7 in fact I encourage it whenever possible. What else would we talk about the United Kingdom? LOL Either way it’s all good.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Complain really? I love the fact that you obsess about America 24/7 in fact I encourage it whenever possible. What else would we talk about the United Kingdom? LOL Either way it’s all good.

You really should have a comma after "24/7", and another one after "in fact". After "talk about" you need either a comma or a hyphen. Plus a full stop after "LOL" - whatever that means.:rolleyes:

Just trying to help.

Col

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Col, stop being picky and really help by translating this.

Brian
Brian, I think you are being a little harsh expecting Col to be able to translate Gibberish:D. I know he is a man of many talents but he has never claimed to speak Gibberish

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
NZ suffers 14,000 tremours per year. The known fault lines areas, like Wellington, earthquakes are a frequent occurance, as there are constant movements in the tectonic plates. With both Napier in 1931 and Christchurch these cities are outside the known fault line, in Christchurch's case sediments have covered the fault lines and earthquake activity hasn't been active for thousands of years.

Having experienced many an earthquake in Wellington, it is the silence before a quake that is eerie, then the rumble as the eathquake makes it way towards you and finally the shaking. With the Christchruch quake its epicentre and shallowness meant there was little warning and people were simply caught in the devastating destruction.

The tradegy is that whilst the majority of buildings structure withstood the earthquate, the people in the CTV buidling had no chance. Very few building collapsed which is a testament to the earthquake proofing of buildings throughout NZ.

The saddest site was the Cathedral, it reminds you of Coventry.

On my way to NZ I meet a number of English travellers that were about to embark on a NZ tour, most were going to visit Christchurch at some stage of their tour.

Our thoughts are with the people of Christchurch, we know that they have been thought an awful trauma, earthquakes of this devastation are rare and loss of life is very extremely upsetting. Christchurch will survive, New Zealand will sruvive but there are tough times ahead.

The antipodean spirit is hard to break and we know that whatever else people will be put first and foremost. From the top down this engenders a togetherness and camaradre that strenghtens a sense of community and identity.

Simon

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Col, stop being picky and really help by translating this.

Brian

Just missing a comma that's all. Strange that such proponents of grammar are unable to extract the meaning from a sentence even when the grammatical mistake is pointed out to you.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Just remember, some people in Christchurch are missing a hell of lot more than a comma!

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom