A thought for Christchurch (New Zealand) earthquake victims (1 Viewer)

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Today, 06:22
Brian, I think you are being a little harsh expecting Col to be able to translate Gibberish:D. I know he is a man of many talents but he has never claimed to speak Gibberish
I do understand that there is a Rosetta Stone course in Gibberish. I believe it retails for $495.00 US. Someday I hope to visit Gibber. Isn't that also in the UK? For the life of me, I can't recall the name of the capital.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:22
I do understand that there is a Rosetta Stone course in Gibberish. I believe it retails for $495.00 US. Someday I hope to visit Gibber. Isn't that also in the UK? For the life of me, I can't recall the name of the capital.

Youre thinking of Gib , which is inhabited by some famous apes. I know when Americans go abroad they assume everything should be the same as at home - so perhaps you've been talking Gibberish with the Apes , confusing them in the first instance with American tourists. What with their hats and cameras.

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Youre thinking of Gib , which is inhabited by some famous apes. I know when Americans go abroad they assume everything should be the same as at home - so perhaps you've been talking Gibberish with the Apes , confusing them in the first instance with American tourists. What with their hats and cameras.

No, I am well aware of Gibralter and it's status as the last British colony. I understand that the Barbary Macaques that so harrass the tourists there are descendants of the original Brits who colonized the place and that they are the only know population of "pure" Brits remaining. I guess I should ask Col if they also speak "pure" English. I am sure he would know. Mayhap he even has relatives among them.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
No, I am well aware of Gibralter and it's status as the last British colony. I understand that the Barbary Macaques that so harrass the tourists there are descendants of the original Brits who colonized the place and that they are the only know population of "pure" Brits remaining. I guess I should ask Col if they also speak "pure" English. I am sure he would know. Mayhap he even has relatives among them.

So Americans do think the Barbary apes to be human. Not too far from my first suggestion.

Just for clarification for you and other Americans - the apes are not human - and are not descended from humans - neither English or American.

I beleive the apes are from Africa - - I'd hate to think what an American could do with that statement however.

The Barbary apes are monkeys, which may have led to more confusion than is usual , even for Americans.

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
So Americans do think the Barbary apes to be human. Not too far from my first suggestion.

Just for clarification for you and other Americans - the apes are not human - and are not descended from humans - neither English or American.

I beleive the apes are from Africa - - I'd hate to think what an American could do with that statement however.

The Barbary apes are monkeys, which may have led to more confusion than is usual , even for Americans.

I didn't say they were human. I said they were Brits. I can understand the confusion though.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
I didn't say they were human. I said they were Brits. I can understand the confusion though.

You believe they are the decendents of original colonists?

So somewhere down the line youre a bit confused with whether they are monkeys, apes or human. Either you believe them decended from humans - or the colonists were monkeys.

So you are definately confused about whats a monkey and whats a human as I originally tried to point out to you.

Theres no helping some people.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
No, I am well aware of Gibralter and it's status as the last British colony.

You seem obsessed with the British Empire and British colonies.

What makes you think Gibraltar is the last British colony? (Notice Gibraltar is spelt with an "ar" not an "er")

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 09:22
Complain really? I love the fact that you obsess about America 24/7 in fact I encourage it whenever possible. What else would we talk about the United Kingdom? LOL Either way it’s all good.

Are you suggesting I obsess about America 24/7? I'd like to see evidence depicting this allegation before I provide any sort of debate to this nonsensical cluster of words.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
No more stuck than the prehistoric grammar gag.

Daniella - trying to help someone with grammatical issues is not a gag. I'm sad you see it that way.

There is too much laxity in writing these days, what with all this text-speak and so on. So trying to advise people may help them in future life.

For example, when I was a manager, if there were punctuation errors or spelling errors on the persons CV or application form, they were rejected. If people can't be bothered to get that right then they don't deserve an interview. Plus, I know many managers who think the same.

I admit, I fail to see it as a gag. I know I make errors too, but I do at least try to get things right.

Col

Adam Caramon

Local time
Today, 09:22
For example, when I was a manager, if there were punctuation errors or spelling errors on the person's CV or application form, they were rejected.

I hope that the help I've provided you today will in turn help you in the future.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I hope that the help I've provided you today will in turn help you in the future.

Thank you. But I don't plan on looking for any work in the near future. I'm quite happy not working thanks.

Col

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
There is too much laxity in writing these days, what with all this text-speak and so on. So trying to advise people may help them in future life.

I'm glad you've finally discovered some positive reasoning for your presence on these boards. Good luck with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom