A thought for Christchurch (New Zealand) earthquake victims (2 Viewers)

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Today, 07:49
It should be but my experience on the forum shows that many Americans take any critiscism of America as serious and personal.

Brian

Not I. I am on the "bit of fun" (or mighty craic if your are Irish) side of things.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:49
Probably in that through the media we know that he is earning loads of dosh in America and gallivanting round the Globe as a "Statesman" also with American backing, kinda reinforces our view as to why he behaved as he did.

Brian

Yes. Sorry I meant in terms of making the resentment towards the given superpower worse, not Blair in particular.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Probably in that through the media we know that he is earning loads of dosh in America and gallivanting round the Globe as a "Statesman" also with American backing, kinda reinforces our view as to why he behaved as he did.

Brian

PMs shouldn't be allowed to take the foreign forty pieces of silver after office , as much as thet aren't in office.

Should do as we say bankers should do - take bonueses etc - in shares / bonds etc.

Those who dont like that idea - frankly I see as selfish rather than PM material anyway.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I dont think too many of us Brits think we have too much control on what our masters get us involved worth - whether they br Brits , Americans or otherwise.

I dont here too much Blair support here in the last 10 years, even when he was supposedly popular.

Which was kind of my point. UK didn't have much control over Blair which lead to the "yardarm" sentiment.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Yes. Sorry I meant in terms of making the resentment towards the given superpower worse, not Blair in particular.

Its a natural state. Lifes unfair, and we should dislike that idea. The media does what it does solely to make money nowadays - what the effect is - i have no idea.

To get an in depth view of anything in todays media though - is bloody difficult. Its all sensationalist. Can you name a good source of in depth unbiased opinion.

Part 3 - comes from those who dont recognise lifes unfair.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Which was kind of my point. UK didn't have much control over Blair which lead to the "yardarm" sentiment.

I think I psted the other day on AV - the lack of real accountability our politicians have to us - irrespective of outside influence.

From duck islands to Iraq. Taking the piss from this end to that.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Its a natural state. Lifes unfair, and we should dislike that idea. The media does what it does solely to make money nowadays - what the effect is - i have no idea.

I agree that the media would initially not have been able to sell their product without broadcasting the 'life's not fair' theme. But as this product is a good seller do you not think that the biased nature of the media stems from the attempt to exaggerate this theme and thus distort the truth of how unfair things really are?

That is to say. The "life is unfair" notion is basically true but the extent of this truth has been distorted to turn a profit.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

Ah! sorry for the delay been trying to answer a techie question. :)

I think that our media tends to be harder on our government than on America as what it does affects us more, or atleast the readers think it does and as Anthony said or implied , its out to sell copy and make money.

Brian

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
I agree that the media would initially not have been able to sell their product without broadcasting the 'life's not fair' theme. But as this product is a good seller do you not think that the biased nature of the media stems from the attempt to exaggerate this theme and thus distort the truth of how unfair things really are?

That is to say. The "life is unfair" notion is basically true but the extent of this truth has been distorted to turn a profit.

That would depend on your view point, Theres horrific cases or unfairness, and equally horrific of those who should know better taking the piss. I'm not sure it can be twisted any further than reality.

That I am in the middle in the UK or very well off internationally - should I not be aware - so that some of that could be equalled out around me?

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Ah! sorry for the delay been trying to answer a techie question. :)
On a technical site? How rude!

I think that our media tends to be harder on our government than on America as what it does affects us more, or atleast the readers think it does and as Anthony said or implied , its out to sell copy and make money.

Brian

Perhaps this is the crux of it. That our media isn't as hard on authority as the UK's. So when Col, or anyone for that matter, criticizes the US, the tone of it tends to match the norm for the UK, which is 'set' by the media, which in turn comes across as far 'harder' than we are used to.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I'm not sure it can be twisted any further than reality.

I agree and yet the media still feel compelled to exaggerate which suggests that these cases are not enough to meet their needs. That is to say that the typical individual remains unconcerned without a little flavoring.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Not I. I am on the "bit of fun" (or mighty craic if your are Irish) side of things.

Sorry Chipper didn't notice your response. I did say many not all, I remember Shaneman saying, when i met up with him when touring down his way, that he knew where Col and Rich were coming from and only responded if he felt like an argument and that you could walk away at any time.

Brian

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Sorry Chipper didn't notice your response. I did say many not all, I remember Shaneman saying, when i met up with him when touring down his way, that he knew where Col and Rich were coming from and only responded if he felt like an argument and that you could walk away at any time.

Brian
I am surprised that Col did not spot the typo right away and claim that it was another American English artifact. I only spotted it myself in your quote. Well I guess I should make the obligatory grammar punctuation are spelling errir here to keep him happy don't you think?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I am surprised that Col did not spot the typo right away and claim that it was another American English artifact. I only spotted it myself in your quote. Well I guess I should make the obligatory grammar punctuation are spelling errir here to keep him happy don't you think?
"OOh You are awful, but I like you" to quote a british comedian from the sixties. Apologies to any fans if I have misquoted

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Yes, the recent trend for long-term members to use alternative profiles. I'm looking forward to learning the reasons why.

The reason is, that my original name (ColinEssex) has been deleted and I can't, or I'm not allowed to use it again because I am very very bad, never using foul language or attacking another member personally is obviously a good reason to be banned.
I still have four other usernames to choose from though, three with different IP addresses.

Col

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
The reason is, that my original name (ColinEssex) has been deleted and I can't, or I'm not allowed to use it again because I am very very bad, never using foul language or attacking another member personally is obviously a good reason to be banned.
I still have four other usernames to choose from though, three with different IP addresses.

Col
Gosh, you must be very proud of that accomplishment! That's right up there with climbing Mt. Everest or discovering a cure for Aids.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Gosh, you must be very proud of that accomplishment! That's right up there with climbing Mt. Everest or discovering a cure for Aids.

Loads of people climb Mt. Everest these days. In fact they have to send people up there to pick up the litter and coke tins.

If people catch aids that's their fault, there are ways to avoid it. Why bother with a cure? If we keep prolonging life then we'll be overpopulated and be unable to sustain ourselves.

In fact, where are the billions of money poured into African aid gone? Why do we see the same old tired pictures of people dying? It's so boring and quite obviously a waste of money as it hasn't helped that much.

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 10:49
Loads of people climb Mt. Everest these days. In fact they have to send people up there to pick up the litter and coke tins.

If people catch aids that's their fault, there are ways to avoid it. Why bother with a cure? If we keep prolonging life then we'll be overpopulated and be unable to sustain ourselves.

In fact, where are the billions of money poured into African aid gone? Why do we see the same old tired pictures of people dying? It's so boring and quite obviously a waste of money as it hasn't helped that much.

Col

Cynic much?

Not everyone who has become infected with HIV did so by choice. Between ra**, accidental exposure, and birth from an infected mother, it's still very possible to be infected through no fault of your own.

I do agree with you on the "aid" companies. I have a very strong stance that I never donate to a company or organization that: a.) I cannot see where the money is being used. b.) The organization uses guilt to coherse me into donating by showing me pictures of starving children, neglected animals, etc... You don't win my charity through guilt and exploitation. You win my charity by showing me what you will use the money for to help these situations. Show me the food you will supply or the medicine that will be available...

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
You win my charity by showing me what you will use the money for to help these situations. Show me the food you will supply or the medicine that will be available...

You sound like my bank manager :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom