Solved ACCDE hide Ribbon stopped working (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 18:39
To be fair @zeroaccess said 'after an update' and not 'after an upgrade'.
Upgrading to a new version (or bitness) of Access certainly breaks code for many reasons such as those stated and other reasons such as reference libraries or ActiveX controls that are no longer supported.
However running updates for the same version shouldn't break code ...though there have been too many cases where it does so.
For example, Access 2003 SP3 update and the hotfix that had to be rushed out, the update query bug in Nov 2019 and the recent A365 update 2004 for Apr 2020 which broke code linked to external sources.

However no update should change default settings applied by the end user

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:39
I stand corrected about mis-reading the post. Then again, you're saying that upgrades do "break" code so it appears you agree with my comment.
Not sure I understand the significance of your default settings comment since that wasn't mentioned or quoted. Was that what it was really about, or is that just what I would call an additional but accurate observation on the subject?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 18:39
I do agree with the general principle that simple updates can cause problems though I doubt that explains the issue described by the OP.
Default settings comment relates to posts 12, 13, 15

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 13:39
That is incorrect. Access upgrades break code for at least two reasons that we have seen here:
- deprecated features/controls such as old calendar control
- sloppy code that worked before but doesn't after an upgrade. Once the code was fixed, the issue went away. Older version seemed less picky about some syntaxes.
I guess what I meant was that it shouldn't change how this code works. Sorry for the overly broad statement.

Megaduck

Local time
Try a full decompile and recompile: https://www.access-programmers.co.u...n-total-number-of-objects.310767/post-1684991

Access updates have no bearing on your VBA code except in circumstances of changing bit depth.

Otherwise, there may be other code interfering with DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Ribbon", acToolbarNo at startup.

Thank you, I'll give that a try. After clearing the registry, it still went back to previous after a few times of opening Access. I ended up just creating a custom ribbon removing everything and using VBA to minimize ribbon on open. That sufficed for now, so I can meet deadline to get database done. I'll see if this helps any at all.

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 13:39
It's possible that you've done more harm than good by dicking around in the registry...my $0.02. I hope not.

Megaduck

Local time
It's possible that you've done more harm than good by dicking around in the registry...my $0.02. I hope not.

Only cleared those relevant to my version of Access (16.0) and only for my profile. Didn't touch anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom