Access 2010 convert to Sharepoint (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 01:29
Please consider adding up a new listing for Access development to Sharepoint deployment at the top level.

After working on Access 1.x to Access 2010 often with a SQL Server back end, the word has come down to drop Citrix and move to Sharepoint.
This is the best site on the web for MS Access. But, it is very difficult to find information on Sharepoint.

Access 2010 is suppose to have some tools to assist in this.
For those of us who have a Front End user form with tons of business rules, my expectation is that Sharepoint is primarly set up for displaying records. That Business Rules (vba logic) is going to be more difficult.

TiagoDM

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:29
I have that problem. I'm a begginer with some knowlegde in vba. I want to move the backend of my access db into something that will provide speed and security. I have almost the whole db written in vba code to do this and that ...

1 - any *simple* way to move it to ... somewhere else?
2 - if I move ONLY the tables will that provide speed computing record information (on queries, knowing that the querie will be computed on the frontend and not in a server on the backend)?
3 - if answer to 2 is NO, then will I have to rewrite the queries in SQL format (or something else)? (I have about 120 access queries ... plus 20+- written in vba)
4 - will the new backend platform provide compatibility with multivaluedfields and attachements? (I have tons of tables' fields with them)

I'm sorry.. there are many questions and I have been thinking about this for a long time. The idea was to move tables only, but if that doesn't help with speed, than maybe it will be better how it is now. I have to make a decision. If I have to rewrite the whole db, that will take me over a year for sure. I was avoiding doing that, but if i have to .... Do you have any ideas? Thank you.

Tiago

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 01:29
Just an observation from the new Access 2013 presentation.
MS evidently plans for you to "just rewrite all your code in Java". And, in order to support the Cloud, MS must vastly limit the number of records (very small in my opinion) returned. The so-called re-defined Access 2013 might give some the idea that it is nothing but a Share Point clone.

If you are younger, my suggestion is to invest your time in programming T-SQL, Data Mining, and Performance Analysis. The Age of the App is here. The App is about busy work for the end user to get some small tidbit of information for the moment.

After spending a couple of years on the first generation of Share Point, I personally don't see the return on investment to go that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom