Access 2016 changing object library versions (1 Viewer)

wackywoo105

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:43
I recently upgraded my PC and installed office 2016 (or 365). I have a database that I use across multiple PC’s. Most of these still use office 2010.

When I have opened and saved the project in access 2016 it replaces some object libraries with version 16.0. The 2010 office only has version 14.0 of these libraries so it complains when I try to open it on these PC’s and I have to re-select the 14.0 libraries.

Is there a way to stop this happening or a workaround (e.g. copy the library files across from my new PC to the old ones?)?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:43
you need to keep (ie have kept) both versions of office, and continue to develop in the lowest version that your users will have.

wackywoo105

Registered User.
Local time
The problem is even if I don't make any changes, just open, save and close in 2016 it replaces the libraries. Is there no way to lock it to the 14.0 versions? This is going to be a real pain as I can't change some pc's up to 2016. I don't watch to downgrade office on my new pc.

Can I actually run 2 versions of office?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:43
Use Late Binding in the code so you can avoid having the references.

wackywoo105

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, I will research that now that I know about it.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
and yes, you can run 2 versions of office.(probably not outlook, though)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:43
Dave, take into account that if you are on Win10, it might not be happy about 2 versions of Office, particularly if you have to re-install the 32-bit version. We have some warnings about Win10 getting rid of older versions of stuff.

wacky, one of the biggest reasons you might have for not using the 64-bit version is that the available .DLL files don't map correctly and in fact some of the stuff you want to use might not map at all even if you redid all of your linkages to the files (using explicit DECLARE of library linkages.) More specifically, not all .DLL files and other libraries you might want to use have 64-bit versions, so you would have to somehow diddle with the declarations to make them work, and if you have lot of these declarations, you have a lot of diddling to do.

wackywoo105

Registered User.
Local time
Ok I think I have this sorted now. I have manged to remove Excel, Publisher and Word libraries and it still works on the Windows 10 machine. Just need to test it on the others and hopefully it will be ok.

Last edited:

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Doc Man

I keep refusing MS kind offer to upgrade my desktop to W10.

I have however decided to buy a W10 machine for investigation purposes. Found a W10 professional base unit very inexpensively on ebay.

wackywoo105

Registered User.
Local time
I just though I would post a follow up to this. After extensive code alteration I thought I had cracked it. I then however slowly found various issues with parts of the database e.g creating a document using a publisher template and then saving and opening it as a pdf.

I decided to just move on with my life. Now all machines run office 2016.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:43
Wacky, in a way I'm glad for you - but this is typical Microsoft behavior. In a way, it would make me very happy if someone sued them for anti-competitive behavior, but I fear that train has already left the station long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom