Access Application Deployment (1 Viewer)

diversoln

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:16
I have created five simple access databases that are used by 25 people on 15 PC's. Any one of the 25 people can use any of the PC's to log in and run any one of the five applications.

I've been using the Tools-Options menu to disable the Windows in Taskbar setting so that the taskbar is not cluttered in such a way that allows users to jump around the program inappropriately.

The problem that I'm finding is that I need to set these options for each user, for each database, for each PC. That's 5x25x15 = 1825 settings to customize !!!!

There MUST be a better way .... How can I code this into the program so I don't have to sit down and setup each database for each person at each PC ?

Also, the same problem exists for setting up a short-cut on the user's desktop. Again, it seems I must do this at each PC with each user logged-in. My users are not PC literate and even setting up a short-cut will be a scary undertaking for most of them .... My IT department says the icons need to be set-up per user and not by the PC. I'm having trouble believing this since when I log on to any one of the PC's, I automatically see Icons on the desktop for other applications without having to make my own shortcuts. How do you get past this kind of run-around from the IT gang? Its sounding like they just don't want to be bothered with a little bit of work - am I right?

Thanks in advance for your help!

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 16:16
Can talk IT into placing the shortcut in the all users folder on the pc's?

kh

Crilen007

Uhm, Title... *shrug*
Local time
Today, 13:16
C:\documents and settings\all users

(providing its 2000+)

diversoln

Registered User.
Local time
So I can have the short cut set up in the All Users folder for the PC - I will discuss this again with my ever friendly IT gang.

How can I address the Access settings (Tools-Options-Windows in Taskbar issue) ?

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Those settings are specific to the database file so you only have to change it once [for each database]. You can set them with VBA but most of the changes will not take effect until the next time the db is opened.

Check out this thread for how to do some of those commands with VBA...
Hide all Access Toolbars and Menubars

diversoln

Registered User.
Local time
It sounds like (and I would expect) that the settings would apply for the database once they are set in the Tools menu but, in my experience, when I change these settings using the Tools menu for the database, the settings need to be reset for each and every user on each PC. I will try it with the VBA code and see what happens.

Why don't the settings stay "set" for the database? Is there a patch that I need out there somewhere? I'm developing in Access 2002 and deploying in Access 97.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've been using the Tools-Options menu to disable the Windows in Taskbar setting so that the taskbar is not cluttered in such a way that allows users to jump around the program inappropriately.
- I don't recall this being a problem with A97. This "feature" wasn't a problem until A2k. If you include code to set this option, you will get an error in A97 because the option didn't exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom