Solved Access Dependency Checker Add-In - Can't run/install after windows update (1 Viewer)

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:19
I've been using an Access Dependency Checker Add-In (http://www.accessdependencychecker.com/index.php?page=download) and it's worked fine for me. But after I updated Windows earlier this week, I can't get it to run/install.

Previously, I needed to select "Run as Administrator" when right-clicking MS Access and had to install the add-in each time to use it.

Now when I click Add-In manager, I get a message saying:
"Microsoft Access can't display the Add-ins submenu &Dependancy Checker because a setting you entered in the Windows registry is missing a macro name or function name expression. Supply the missing expression in the Menu Add-ins key of the Windows Registry, and then restart Microsoft Access. For more information on customizing Microsoft Access settings in the Windows Registry, click help."
WinReg.JPG

Clicking help brought me to this webpage which wasn't helpful.

The add-in is there in the Add-in manager window.
AddInmanager.JPG

But I get a message saying that I do not have sufficient security permission to install the Add-in. I've already selected "Run as administrator" when opening MS Access and I am administrator on my laptop so I don't know what's going on.
SecurityPermission.JPG

I have added the add-in folder to the add-in folder as a trusted location.

Anyone one else use this add-in and/or have run into a similar problem with getting this (or another) add-in to run or be installed? Or any ideas on what to try? I haven't messed with the Windows Registry since I'm not really familiar with mucking around in there.

Any help would be much appreciated! THANKS! :)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 20:19
Downloaded and installed in Access 2007
Fires up no problem. That is as far as I went.

Win10 1909

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
Gasman, thanks for giving it a try. I'm still stumped as to why it's not working on my laptop after the Windows update.

I may have to try to figure out what's going on with the Windows registry. I'll be sure to post back if I manage to fix this.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If it isn't too late, try to back out the windows update and see if that makes a difference.

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
The_Doc_Man, thanks for the suggestion. Not sure that's an option since this is a work laptop and they like us to keep it updated. But I'll see if that's something that I could do. I'm guessing not due to our IT security policy.

IT took a look at it but ultimately said it's not something that they would support given that it's freeware.

I can still look ad object dependency with the built-in feature, but it far more tedious since you can only view one object at a time instead of a complete 'treeview' structure of the objects.

And the ability to search for text in all the SQL statements is super helpful to find formulas that need updating.

FMS has something that does the same (and more), Total Access Analyzer, but it's a pricey and doing project work with MS Access is rare for me, so I don't think I could justify the cost.

Last edited:

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
@Gasman, would you mind sharing what's in the Windows Registry for you for the two Menu Add-In keys (not sure of the terminology):
- @Add-In Manager
- @Dependency Checker

I don't have much under 'Dependency Checker', which might be part of the issue.

RegistryEntry.JPG

RegistryEntry2.JPG

I did email the creator but I suspect it may take awhile for me to get a response.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I do not have thos exact paths?
Here is mine and the export of those two entries.?
I am 32bit windows and Office 12 (2007)

HTH
1596749968296.png

Attachments

• addin_manager.reg.txt
    600 bytes · Views: 437
  • depend.reg.txt
    524 bytes · Views: 300

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
@Gasman, thanks for the quick response! Looks like that "=startAddIn()" expression was the thing that the error message was referring to. And other 'parts' are missing too on my end.

Will post back on how it goes once I figure out how to add those to the registry.

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
Adding those two to the Windows Registry did the trick. Thanks a bunch, @Gasman!!!

For anyone needing to do the same there steps are:
  1. Run Regedit from windows search
  2. Look for "Access\Menu Add-Ins\&Dependency Checker". Just searching for "Menu Add-Ins"; From the menu bar Edit >> Find.
  3. From the menu, select Edit >> New >> String Value
  4. Add the two missing string values. (Note: You'll have different file path where the add-in in stored, but it should be similar).

Registry_Expression.JPG

Registry_Library.JPG

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
You could also have modified the paths in the files and then double clicked the files after removing the .txt extension.?
I only added that so I could upload them. :)

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
That's good to know for the future. Thanks for letting me know! Always good to learn something new.

MarkM

Local time
Thanks for adding the solution @Cosmos75, @Gasman as I had the exact same problem and this greatly helped.

I needed to do something a little different though so if anyone else has additional issues this may help:
After the registry additions I did get passed the errors listed above but then got:
The Wizard you've requeted is not installed or is in a bad state....... error
1603030051678.png

Trying to reinstall, just throws up the You Do Not have sufficent security permissions......blah blah blah again.

I moved the location of the addin mda to another folder I made, and also updated the register entry taking out the double slashes
So instead of:
"Library"="C:\\Users\\Marko\\AppData\\Roaming\\Microsoft\\AddIns\\ACCESS_DependencyChecker.mda"
I have:
"Library"="C:\Users\Marko\AccessAddins\ACCESS_DependencyChecker.mda"

Now it works!
cheers

Attachments

• 1603030066748.png
    1603030066748.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 376

Squire4Hire

Local time
Today, 13:19
Just wanted to chime in to further this a bit more. I too ran into this problem with the Dependency Checker. I walked through all this and still found I was having problems. What sort of worked for me though is, instead of adding the keys to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Access I had to add them to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Access\. This is the only way I've been able to see anything in the Add-Ins drop down.

I say it 'sort of worked' because it appears to duplicate the Add-In Manager option. I went back into the registry and deleted the &Add-In Manager key I created in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and I deleted the two keys originally placed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. This removed the additional Add-In Manager option in the drop down but, for some reason, still fires the error message "Microsoft Access can't display the Add-ins submenu &Dependancy Checker because a setting you entered in the Windows registry...". This error message only appears once though and after I click OK, I'm able to use the Dependency Checker without a problem.

It works for now. If I get around to it, I'll suss out why the error is still firing. Regardless, this may help others if the instructions above aren't working out for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom