Solved Access error message I can't find the problem, Any help wound be be very welcome (1 Viewer)

MIkeD666

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:53
I made a database called LandG. It was working fine till Friday. But first some back ground notes. I have a front end and a back end files.
That have been linked for some time with out any issues. I was feeling so good with myself. Backups saved all running well. forms and procedures and functions save in the FE and tables in the Back end

Then on Friday I noticed in a table named StockList. the was some errors in the table. example a field named ProductID. (A AutoNumber) was missing some data example viewing the table showed some records a total of 86. But some records are missing Example records 56 to 78. AS it is only test data, I decided to rewrite the table in to a new table CalledLandgStock. using a SQL update method, to write the contents in to the new table. exculding the missing records. ran the SQL code all was fine.

TILL I made a childish/ beginner error, I forgot to back up before saving.#
Now I get this message (below). I can't open ant table at all. any help/ideas would me most at welcome

Attachments

• !access error msg.jpg
    !access error msg.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 93

LarryE

Local time
It sounds like you created a new table by importing data from a different table, but have not done anything with the new table. It is just sitting there not being used.
Did you import your new table (LandgStock) into your back-end file?
Is the original LandStock table in the back-end file?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:53
Typically, when you have a network drop, you have the potential for some level of database corruption.

First, make a copy of the file that is giving trouble. You do that even though the file is busted because you don't want to do MORE to it if your other salvage attempts fail.

Second, run the C&R as noted, then close and attempt to re-open the DB. If a Compact and Repair operation (follow by close, then reopen the db) doesn't help, you may have some serious corruption. A successful C&R still might not recover everything, but at least you wouldn't have lost everything either.

Third, if that doesn't work, create a new, empty database. From that database, use the External Data ribbon tools to IMPORT from the damaged DB into that new empty DB, taking anything that the importer can grab. (Don't do this as an EXPORT from the presumably corrupted file!)

If that doesn't work, you might be at a dead-end. Since you said it is only test data, it would be disappointing to have to start from scratch, but on the other hand, at least no customers or general users were affected.

MIkeD666

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks the the help, I will let you know how I get on. am working on it later, after I wake up properly

MIkeD666

Registered User.
Local time
Typically, when you have a network drop, you have the potential for some level of database corruption.

First, make a copy of the file that is giving trouble. You do that even though the file is busted because you don't want to do MORE to it if your other salvage attempts fail.

Second, run the C&R as noted, then close and attempt to re-open the DB. If a Compact and Repair operation (follow by close, then reopen the db) doesn't help, you may have some serious corruption. A successful C&R still might not recover everything, but at least you wouldn't have lost everything either.

Third, if that doesn't work, create a new, empty database. From that database, use the External Data ribbon tools to IMPORT from the damaged DB into that new empty DB, taking anything that the importer can grab. (Don't do this as an EXPORT from the presumably corrupted file!)

If that doesn't work, you might be at a dead-end. Since you said it is only test data, it would be disappointing to have to start from scratch, but on the other hand, at least no customers or general users were affected.

It sounds like you created a new table by importing data from a different table, but have not done anything with the new table. It is just sitting there not being used.
Did you import your new table (LandgStock) into your back-end file?
Is the original LandStock table in the back-end file?
Yes it was when I tried to open ether of the tables. That produced the error message

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:53
Are you able to upload a copy of the Database?

RogerCooper

Registered User.
Local time
I deal with the network access error frequently. It is can be caused by physical problems with the network. It is usually harmless (for me) but lost connections can cause corruption. Make sure you have a good connection before trying anything.

Other than compact & repair, you can try importing all the objects into a new database. I once used a product called "**************** for Access" to recover a damaged database.

LarryE

Local time
Yes it was when I tried to open ether of the tables. That produced the error message
Since the new table is named LandgStock and that is where the correct data is, then you need to:
  1. Look in the directory where the database file is and make sure there is no file with the .laccdb extension. If there is, then delete it.
  2. Open the backend file and rename the LandgStock table to StockList
  3. Open the StockList table and make sure all records are there and correct
  4. Close the backend file
  5. Open the frontend file
  6. Delete the old StockList table if it exists
  7. Import the new StockList table from the backend file as a Linked Table to re-establish the proper link
The error you received can sometimes be caused by a failed table link in the backend file as well as other issues as mentioned. When you imported the data into a new table, and if you then deleted the old StockList table, the link failed. You need to re-establish the proper link to the backend file.

I don't know why you did not just delete the records in the original StockList table that were incomplete. That would have been much easier and you would not have to re-link anything. But that is not the problem now. I hope this will help you.

MIkeD666

Registered User.
Local time
Hi all
Thank you all for your advice. I have managed to recover about 95% of the data, I can live with that for now. I should be back on track my next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom