Access file corrupt (1 Viewer)

Bieke

Local time
Today, 09:43
Hyperlink fields are also a problem. Change it to a text field in which you store the path to each photo
I first test with replacement to hyperlin, if not satisfied I change it to textfield.
Thanks.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:43
SQL Server doesn't support hyperlink datatype (or it least didn't when I last looked...)
So you'll be just wasting time with no real benefit if you try that first.

But its your database and your choice ....

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:43
Although you cannot enforce RI between separate BE's, you can still have them if necessary.
Are there any benefits of having a relationship without enforcement other than for documentation?

Bieke

Local time
SQL Server doesn't support hyperlink datatype (or it least didn't when I last looked...)
So you'll be just wasting time with no real benefit if you try that first.

But its your database and your choice ....
I don't change to sql server now i know that the problem was with the photos in that table.
I just have to change the field attachement to hyperlink.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:43
I wouldn't use a hyperlink data type. That was another poor datatype added with A2007. It isn't supported in SQL Server so although it isn't terrible like muli-value fields or table level lookups, it also isn't upsizable.

Just store the full path OR keep a table where the path is stored and then store just the file name or detail path in each product record. Then you would use the FollowHyperlink method in VBA to open the document. This method relies on Windows file associations. So, ANY file type that windows knows how to open can be opened with this method. If you use Shell(), YOU need to know what application is needed to open any particular file so it is much less flexible.

Bieke

Local time
I wouldn't use a hyperlink data type. That was another poor datatype added with A2007. It isn't supported in SQL Server so although it isn't terrible like muli-value fields or table level lookups, it also isn't upsizable.

Just store the full path OR keep a table where the path is stored and then store just the file name or detail path in each product record. Then you would use the FollowHyperlink method in VBA to open the document. This method relies on Windows file associations. So, ANY file type that windows knows how to open can be opened with this method. If you use Shell(), YOU need to know what application is needed to open any particular file so it is much less flexible.
I changed the field in a textfield, when I compres the db now the filesize shrinked to 17 Mb instead of 2 GB 👌

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There you go:) Just for our information, do you know how many pictures you actually had in the table? People would be interested to know when they need to worry about changing their methods.

Bieke

Local time
There you go:) Just for our information, do you know how many pictures you actually had in the table? People would be interested to know when they need to worry about changing their methods.
It were around 7000 records in the table i guess around 3000 files from different filetypes : jpeg, bmp, png, pdf, …

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When you get right down to it, that's not a lot of files. Thanks:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom