Access Front-end Auto-Updating Utility ? (1 Viewer)

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 20:52
@ cheekybuddha : not sure why, nobody else mentioned it (403 like in Forbidden). What browser are you using?

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:52
Same result using Vivaldi, Firefox, Chromium on linux, also Vivaldi on Windows. :cry:

1658851474877.png

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
@NauticalGent: thanks for helping!

Not sure why 403 happens, I'll send a support request to the hosting providers shortly!

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
I'll try not to take it personally, Vlad! 😭:ROFLMAO:

Was only curious because I like your code and suggestions you make in the forums.

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
No problem David, I hope I didn't say anything wrong, I am not that good at web development so I will need the hosts to see if they spot anything. The launcher on my web is an accde, please feel free to PM me if you would like a copy of the accdb.

Cheers,

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I went there without any issues from my mobile.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Don't spoil this rare success story for me...
Well, perhaps semi-spoil!

I tried GM's suggestion and could download without problem from my mobile!

Now just the faff of getting the db off my phone and on to my pc!! :p

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
MyPhoneExplorer looks good, but Windows is not my main OS, so I think I'm out of luck.

KadeFoster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:52
Well i got it working.... the browse buttons on the form do not work but you can copy the locations manually into the fields. Follow the rest of the instructions and it works.

However.... if you want to run this on a network setup that does not allow batch files to run then this system will not work as it creates a batch file to copy and delete the files.

I made a work around... it does the version verification check and will copy the new FE over to the folder with the current FE and append a version number to the name, then it closes access. The user can then delete the current copy and open the new one. If they reopen the current copy it will just loop through this again and close the application.

It works and i am happy with it.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I
Well, perhaps semi-spoil!

I tried GM's suggestion and could download without problem from my mobile!

Now just the faff of getting the db off my phone and on to my pc!! :p
I was having issues with my website www.bibby-gazette.co.uk

Links were posted on Facebook in the Bibby Line Group, and FB deleted those posts. They however had been there 3 years :) At least we think that was what was the issue was, as FB helpfully do not tell you why it goes against FB community rules? :( Nor which posts were deleted.

However a member in that group advised me that Norton was warning the site was 'a known dangerous website'? WTF !!!

He eventually passed me the report and I put a dispute in, as there is nothing untoward on the site.
They appeared to have acted promptly as he can now go there without any issue.

I also had to add a SSL certicate to the site, so that the locked padlock icon appears and it is now https://

Perhaps your browser settings are a little too strict, as I can see Vlad's site is still http:// ?
However I can get there fine on Firefox, and have been there in the past on Chrome.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
@Gasman - is this meant to be replying to a different thread?
No, just that the fact that you were getting 403 Forbidden and perhaps your browsers were being ultra cautious?

I know generally Forbidden means you cannot get to a particular location, but thought the browsers might be trying to stop you getting to a site, they consider dodgy, just because it does not have a https prefix?

I know there is nothing wrong with that site, which is why I was mentioning there is nothing wrong with my site, but it still gets labelled badly?

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Ah sorry! Misunderstood!

403 is a server response, so it's Vlad's server that didn't like me for whatever reason.

It was also only when I tried to download the file - I could navigate the site fine.

I don't think it's due to his lack of an SSL cert, though I see where you're coming from. It would be good if browsers blocked (or warned) you from downloading stuff from sites where you can't guarantee that you are connected to who you think you are.

I do have the HTTPSEverywhere extension which warns about navigating to sites without an HTTPS cert, though I understand this will be a built-in feature of all major browsers soon.

And, curiously, today I can also download files from his site.

So I guess all's well that ends well! :LOL:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 11:52

Attachments

• Access_Front-End_AutoUpdating_Utility_rev06Sep2008.zip
    120.6 KB · Views: 70

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom