Access not responding (1 Viewer)

Gismo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:23
Hi All,

my DB seems to work fine in all the forms, except for the one form.
opening the form times out, then access closes down and opens up again
any explanation as to why this happens?
i did a compact and repair as well as a debug

Gismo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:23
I found the error
it is in my vb, the me.requery seems to go into a loop

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:23
We'd have to see the code but keep in mind that requery forces the current record to be saved if it is dirty so you are probably dirtying the record in the loop causing Access into an infinite loop.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:23
Do you have default values declared (including something that asserts values in the Form_Current routine)? I believe that event fires after any time that a dirty record is saved.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The Current Event only fires if you move to a new record. You can save the current record without moving to a new different record.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:23
It has been a while so I'll take your word for that, Pat. An implicit save might indeed evade the event. Though based on a previous project, I thought that a DoCmd action to save the current record (without navigating) nonetheless fired the Current event. Because my forms surely acted as though that happened.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I believe opening a form implies moving to a new record.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As long a Gismo isn't going to post the code behind the forms, we can all waste our time with random guesses rather than identifying what is causing the loop because it is a loop.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Your quote leaves out the "or occurs when the form is opened" which makes it a bit misleading IMHO.
@Pat - say what you will about the lack of info from the OP but admit it when you are incorrect or incomplete and it is pointed out instead of deflecting. Lord knows I have to do that more than I care to admit.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:23
just to weigh in :geek:
Your quote leaves out the "or occurs when the form is opened" which makes it a bit misleading IMHO.
this link explains the current event fires when a form is opened

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ects-e76fbbfe-6180-4a52-8787-ce86553682f9#bm3

Opening and closing a form
When you open a form, the following sequence of events occurs for the form:

Open
arrow
Load
arrow
Resize
arrow
Activate
arrow
Current

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
CJ, so does Colin's but the quote doesn't drill down that far.

This event occurs both when a form is opened and whenever the focus leaves one record and moves to another. Microsoft Access runs the Current macro or event procedure before the first or next record is displayed.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Pat - say what you will about the lack of info from the OP but admit it when you are incorrect or incomplete and it is pointed out instead of deflecting. Lord knows I have to do that more than I care to admit.
You sound just like those "Black lives matter" protesters who are making the police kneel to them.

I've apologized every time I have given incorrect information when someone pointed it out so your anger is misplaced.

I'm so sorry Micron. I did make a mistake.

Was that OK? I wasn't even snarky.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
You sound just like those "Black lives matter" protesters who are making the police kneel to them.
Wow. Surprised you would even go there.
I wasn't even snarky.
No, you went straight to insulting instead.
Sorry for what's happened to your thread Gismo. I'm going to unwatch to try to prevent any further soiling of it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't believe I've ever seen someone demand an apology before so yes, my response was insulting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom