Access performance issue linked to size of file explorer window (1 Viewer)

Local time
Today, 15:57
For about 2 or 3 weeks now, everytime I click on Access it takes about 10 seconds to load the database I'm working on. I've tried other databases I haven't touched for several months and they take 10 seconds as well. By accident I discovered that if file explorer is open maximum size it takes 10 seconds, if file explorer is open around 85% or less than that then it is normal sub 1 second to open, this is regardless of whether the db is split or not or 300k or 90MB or old or new files.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro v21H1. It only seems to affect Access. File Explorer is otherwise OK. I see there are issues with file explorer and Windows 10 but can't find anything reported like this. Anyone else know about this and how it might be resolved? I don't want to reinstall Windows unless necessary.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I've never experienced anything like that & can't think of any logical reason why the Explorer window size would affect how fast Access opens.
To try and speed up how fast Access databases load try:
a) decompiling, compacting then recompiling - make a backup first
b) closing ALL windows in the visual basic editor
c) checking what runs when your database loads & streamlining the startup code if possible. You can easily test if that is important by using the shift bypass to open your database so that startup code by bypassed

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 07:57
For about 2 or 3 weeks now, everytime I click on Access it takes about 10 seconds to load the database I'm working on. I've tried other databases I haven't touched for several months and they take 10 seconds as well. By accident I discovered that if file explorer is open maximum size it takes 10 seconds, if file explorer is open around 85% or less than that then it is normal sub 1 second to open, this is regardless of whether the db is split or not or 300k or 90MB or old or new files.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro v21H1. It only seems to affect Access. File Explorer is otherwise OK. I see there are issues with file explorer and Windows 10 but can't find anything reported like this. Anyone else know about this and how it might be resolved? I don't want to reinstall Windows unless necessary.
Truly out of the ordinary. What possible connection could there be between the size of a window and the performance of an application?

One basic trouble-shooting I would try is the good old fashioned "reboot the computer".

Local time
I've never experienced anything like that & can't think of any logical reason why the Explorer window size would affect how fast Access opens.
To try and speed up how fast Access databases load try:
a) decompiling, compacting then recompiling - make a backup first
b) closing ALL windows in the visual basic editor
c) checking what runs when your database loads & streamlining the startup code if possible. You can easily test if that is important by using the shift bypass to open your database so that startup code by bypassed
It's only this desktop. If I access the database on the desktop from my laptop I don't get the issue. I've already tried a and b. Reboot makes no difference. Streamlining the start up code is worth a try. I have a couple of screensaver apps (like rainmeter) and a news app so I'll see what happens when I switch them off.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Its certainly very odd behaviour. Good luck.

JMongi

Local time
Today, 10:57
Logically, there shouldn't be any difference in the application itself. Which means any performance issues are only indirectly related to the database app.

Meaning, something about the file explorer window is consuming computational resources which are, in turn, affecting the performance of your Access app. That doesn't make it any easier for us to diagnose remotely, but it might give you a direction to proceed.

1. Some other application that involves task switching between windows.
2. Something graphical related to painting the pixels on the screen.
3. Some type of syncing or update to the file explorer window contents that occurs maximized but not windowed.

Just a few random ideas off the top of my head. But, as mentioned, it's an odd one to be sure.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
What happens if you open an access db from explorer, and not from within access?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom