Access query union "*" "(All)" to SQL Server view (1 Viewer)

supmktg

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:54
I have an Access application that is the front end to a SQL Server DB. The app includes a search form that has 5 combo boxes that filter the records. The combos are currently populated by Access union "ALL" queries that take a while to load. I'm trying to speed up the loading of the form by using SQL Server views instead of queries.

This query that works in Access:

SELECT tblVendor.VendID, tblVendor.VendName FROM tblVendor UNION Select '*' as VendID, '(All)' as VendName FROM tblVendor
ORDER BY tblVendor.VendName;

returns this SQL Server error:
sql server conversion failed when converting the varchar value '*' to data type int (#245)

VendID is an integer. How can I make this query into a view that works?

Thanks,
Sup

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:54
In T-SQL the wildcard symbol is %

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:54
maybe use:

Union Select 0 As VendID, ...

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:54
I'm trying to speed up the loading of the form by using SQL Server views instead of queries.

That change probably won't make any significant difference to the speed.

This query that works in Access:

SELECT tblVendor.VendID, tblVendor.VendName FROM tblVendor UNION Select '*' as VendID, '(All)' as VendName FROM tblVendor
ORDER BY tblVendor.VendName;

returns this SQL Server error:
sql server conversion failed when converting the varchar value '*' to data type int (#245)

VendID is an integer. How can I make this query into a view that works

Code:
SELECT CONVERT(varchar(10), VendID) AS VendID, VendName
FROM tblVendor
UNION
SELECT '*' , '(All)'
FROM tblVendor
ORDER BY VendName;

The datatype of the subsequent subqueries must be compatible with those in the first.
Only the column names in the first subquery are used so no point including the others.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:54
with regards time to load, on the basis your list of vendors is a long list, it might be better to set a global ado disconnected recordset when your app opens (so the time is taken at that point), then assign this recordset to the combo recordset as and when required. If the list is very dynamic, might need to provide a refresh option (perhaps on a timer or button event).

Another alternative is to not load any records to the combo at all (except perhaps the *) until the user has entered at least one character. At which point the rowsource is updated by a filtered list - simplistically there are 26 chars so 1/26th the number of records to load

supmktg

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:54
Galaxiom, your solution did the trick, thank you very much! I may be optimistic, but by my estimation the form now loads much faster.
And, Thank you to all of you for your assistance!
Sup

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom