Access re-launches after close (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:12
OK, then it isn't the SYSTEM bugcheck but the Access bugcheck. Therefore of lesser scope. Nonetheless, that "re-open after crash" is something that other Office programs do. So does Firefox. Haven't crashed Edge yet, but when IE was their browser, it did that too. If you search for "auto-restart crashed task" you would find articles that suggest there is a registry setting for this purpose. Therefore, the restart is a Windows function, I think. Split this problem into two parts.

Here is an article on the CLR.DLL crash. It suggests a possible interaction with an antiviral package and further suggests temporarily turning off the A/V as a test. There is another suggestion that if you have a mapped drive that its network timeout is too quick. Read through the article for a couple of ideas. I have to admit at least one laugh... in the article, the person who filed it was saying that when he talked to tech people, that nobody else was seeing this error.

I'll keep looking for other stuff, but things are getting thin here.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:12
Just wondering whether you ever solved this problem ....

I ask as I had something very similar happen today.
During a late night online Access User Group discussion yesterday where @Pat Hartman, @GPGeorge, @strive4peace & @CJ_London were all present, we were experimenting with settings in VBE options. As part of that I changed the VBE font to @Yu Gothic & forgot to change it back.

This morning my Access apps kept relaunching on close & I noticed all backslashes were changed to an unusual symbol -a Y with 2 horizontal bars
So e.g.
ShellEx "C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe", , 0
became
1642293237861.png

After a good hour of looking at regional settings, removing various language keyboards such as Arabic and increasingly panicking, I remembered & swopped it back. All problems solved.

Moral: Just because you CAN change something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do so

Attachments

• 1642292818822.png
    1642292818822.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 89

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:12
Looks like you had a yen for trouble, there...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Ha ha.... I thought that was what the symbol was but just wanted to get rid of it ASAP 😏.
The code still worked surprisingly.

OldDBGuy

Local time
Today, 14:12
Looks like you had a yen for trouble, there...
Fantastick PUN Doc_Man! BTW: My problem has at long last been solved. I failed to get back here and post soon enough to rememebr the details, but I will do the best I can from memory. I wrote a tiny C# app that runs on Windows start-up. It asks for a different password and if correct it writes a hidden file to a LAN drive (Which later gets deleted). I needed this for a corporate account in which they have allowed other users to log in to a remote desktop using my User ID and password. Don't know why their IT dept. did this, but I wanted MS Access to know with 100% certainty that it was ME logging in (even though i have my ownuser ID and password for the access app)! I wanted to adssure that even if they guessed my app password, the MS Access app would not be fooled. So, unapproved trick but it works for now! Anyway, all of that is not the point!

The point is that when I told visual studio to make the exe, I got a message (on first run of the tiny app if I recall) that said something like ".Net 6.0 FOR DESKTOP will now install (again, from my decrepit memory), to which I said OK. After that, MS Access has never re-opened again! Mind you that prior to that I had deliberatley installed all of the .net updates, etc.. I don't know a lot about Visual studio, C#, etc. as I am an MS Access guy. But this tiny app forced .net to do some sort of install and the problem went away forever. Just wanted to finally update this thread.

PS: Please don't scold me for the tiny app approach. I was in a hurry and knew that it was not the correct approach, but I also knew it was good enough for my intended audience.

AGAIN: Thanks Doc_Man for all of your help. You too isladogs!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I'd completely forgotten this old thread which you've resurrected after 2 years.
By pure coincidence, in the past few days I've experienced similar issues but only with Access FEs connected to SQL Server BEs.

Closing these apps using a Quit button on a form causes the app to close & reopen with just the title bar & ribbon only.
Attempting to close the Access FE app (all with SQL backends) using the top right X button fails.
The app appears to close then a split second later it reappears (this happens each time it is done)

For these apps, I’m having to use Task Manager to close Access

Closing unsplit databases or databases with Access BEs isn’t an issue. Both of those work fine

I'm using A365 v2401 Beta channel and suspect its an issue indirectly related to another Beta channel bug that I reported on Friday and which has just been fixed in the past hour. See BUG: Error 3611 Refresh Links (isladogs.co.uk)

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Problem solved by decompiling the affected apps.
I suspect that repeatedly testing those apps for error 3611 over the past week or so had led to code compilation corruption which decompiling fixed

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom