Access/SQL Server Cal Licence (1 Viewer)

jsdba

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:10
My company is shopping for sql server, we want to migrate to in the very near future. I have a licencing question. If users have a local copy (runtime) of front end of access connected to sql server back end, do we need cal licence for each user?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:10
I don't know for definite but I would think yes - sql server is a backend only, the fact you are running a free licence front end is irrelevant.

depending on your requirements you can consider using sql server express which is license free but has certain limitations - primary ones are limited to 10gb of data and only uses one core for processing (same as access). Depending on your reasons for moving to sql server, perhaps use express for testing purposes and upgrade to the full fat version if required.

If the reason for moving is poor performance, be aware the main reason for poor performance across a network is due to poor form/report/query design and/or lack of or inappropriate indexing and/or a choked network. Using sql server as a back end will not in itself resolve these issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom