Access User Group – Europe (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:50
The video of Alan Cossey's excellent presentation to last week's Access Europe meeting is now available on YouTube:

The Standard Module Object Generation (SMOG) add-in and supporting files are also now available free to all Access Europe subscribers from:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 July at 18:00 (6PM) UK time (currently UTC+1).
This is equivalent to 19:00 (7PM) in Central Europe / CEST (UTC+2) and 10AM in Seattle / PDT (UTC-7)
For other local times, see https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/

The session will be presented by Mike Wolfe who will be demonstrating how to Build Ribbon Interfaces in Code
For more details, see: Access Europe – Mike Wolfe (Building Ribbon Interfaces in Code)

The meeting will again be held on Zoom. You can connect using: Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting
I hope you will join us!

NOTE:
As a taster to whet your appetite for the AEU session, Mike has also written several articles recently on this topic at his No Longer Set website.
Have a look at the 5 articles from last week dated June 20 through to June 24

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The video of Mike Wolfe's superb session on Building Ribbon Interfaces in Code which he presented to last week's Access Europe meeting is now available on YouTube:

The free sample app and PDF of his presentation are also now available free to all Access Europe subscribers from: https://accessusergroups.org/europe/member-dashboard/

These can also be downloaded from https://nolongerset.com/ribbon/

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 3 August at 18:00 (6PM) UK time (currently UTC+1).
This is equivalent to 19:00 (7PM) in Central Europe / CEST (UTC+2) and 10AM in Seattle / PDT (UTC-7)

The session will be presented by Peter Cole who will be demonstrating how to do 32 to 64 bit conversion in Access
For more details, see: Access Europe – Peter Cole (32 to 64 bit conversion)

The meeting will again be held on Zoom. You can connect using: Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting
I hope you will join us!

The video of Peter's excellent session is available on YouTube:

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 7 Sept at 18:00 (6PM) UK time (currently UTC+1).

This month, I will be doing a presentation on Optimising Queries and the JET ShowPlan
For more details, see: Access Europe – Colin Riddington (Optimising Queries and the JET ShowPlan)

I hope you will join us!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 10:50
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 7 Sept at 18:00 (6PM) UK time (currently UTC+1).

This month, I will be doing a presentation on Optimising Queries and the JET ShowPlan
For more details, see: Access Europe – Colin Riddington (Optimising Queries and the JET ShowPlan)

I hope you will join us!

Towards the end, during the "quiz", the question was
Which is faster:
A. Saved Query
B. SQL Statement
C. QueryDef

What is the difference between A and C?

VERY impressive presentation, BTW.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi
I'm using query def to denote a query created temporarily for the purpose.
For example

Saved query:
Currentdb.Execute "qryAppendData"

Query def
strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblData ( a ) SELECT tblSource.a FROM tblSource;"
Set qdf = db.CreateQueryDef("", strSQL)
qdf.Execute dbFailOnError

Similar code is available using DoCmd as well

For more details, suggest you look at my article and the code used in accompanying example app:

Thanks for the feedback. It seemed to go well
Will hopefully edit the video for uploading tomorrow or over the weekend

EDIT:
The files used are now on the AEU website (available to subscribers only) and on my own website (available to all) at

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The video of my Optimising Queries & the JET Show Plan presentation on 7 Sept is available on YouTube:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 5 Oct at 18:00 (6PM) UK time (currently UTC+1).

This month, my co-chair Alessandro Grimaldi will be doing a presentation on Cataloguing and searching emails with Access
For more details, see: https://accessusergroups.org/europe/event/access-europe-2022-10-05/

I hope you will join us!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The video of Alessandro Grimaldi's presentation to Access Europe on 5 Oct is now available on YouTube:

The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 2 Nov at 18:00 (6PM) UK time (UTC)
IMPORTANT: Clocks in the UK and Europe revert to winter-time this coming weekend but those in the USA do not

So this will be equivalent to 19:00 (7PM) in Central Europe / CEST (UTC+1) and 11AM in Seattle / PDT (currently UTC-7)
For other local times, please check https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/

This month, we are pleased to have ex-MVP George Hepworth (@GPGeorge) leading a presentation on PowerApps for Access Developers.
It promises to be a very interesting and innovative session covering areas that many access developers may not be familiar with
For more details, see: https://accessusergroups.org/europe/event/access-europe-2022-11-02/

I hope you will join us!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The video of George Hepworth's excellent presentation to Access Europe on 2 Nov is now available on YouTube:

The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 7 Dec at 18:00 (6PM) UK time (UTC)

This is equivalent to 19:00 (7PM) in Central Europe / CET (UTC+1) and 10AM in Seattle / PDT (UTC-8)

For local times, please check https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/

This month, I will be running a presentation on Annotating Google Maps in Access

I will use the session to demonstrate ways of personalising downloaded maps for your clients. Topics to be covered will include the use of:
  • marker points e.g. to mark client locations or nearby places
  • lines joining 2 or more points e.g. to indicate routes between locations
  • circles around a location e.g. to show places of a specified type within a specified distance from a set location
  • boundary shapes e.g. to show postcode or regional boundaries
  • feature styles e.g. to mark major & minor roads and points of interest
All annotations are added as additional map layers using code as part of the URL used to generate the map.

The session will also explain how to overcome issues caused by the 2083-character URL limit using the current web browser control based on IE (whilst we continue to wait for the new Chromium Edge browser control). An example database will be provided in conjunction with the session

For more details, see: https://accessusergroups.org/europe/event/access-europe-2022-12-07/

I hope you will join us!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Just a quick reminder that the Access Europe meeting is TODAY at 18:00 UK time (about 40 minutes from now

Hope to see some of you there!

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:50
you're welcome and thanks, Colin @isladogs -- most excellent presentation. You're a great teacher. Glad I was there to get my questions answered (amazing how small those static images are) -- and also nice for camaraderie with you and others who love Access. Happy you're sharing your demo database, that obviously many hours, days, and months went into 💕 -- it will be useful down the road, and enables folks to see how the logic is implemented. Also appreciate all the links. Overall, it was brilliant! I will also watch the video on YouTube once its posted to glean even more -- and definitely Like it

Lovely to see @jdraw and @Minty there too ... and who else?

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 4 Jan 2023 at 18:00 (6PM) UK time (UTC)

This is equivalent to 19:00 (7PM) in Central Europe / CET (UTC+1) and 10AM in Seattle / PDT (UTC-8)

For local times, please check https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/

I am very pleased to announce that Karl Donaubauer (long time MVP, organiser of Access DevCon and the Access News videos) will be running a presentation called A baker’s dozen of tips, tricks and tools in 60 minutes

As the topic title indicates, the session will be used to demonstrate about a dozen of Karl’s favourite tips, tricks and tools. It may also be 14 or 16…

Anyway, if you think you already know everything about Access, you’ve come to the right place.
Karl is constantly collecting techniques, tools, solutions and explanations that you don’t hear and read everywhere. This time for example:

• Access/VBA settings overlooked for decades
• how to program Access properties in VBA that don’t exist in VBA
• how to get return code (exit code) from external programs
• finally, the horizontal continuous form
• a tool to generate & integrate QR codes at the push of a button
• a tool that generates professional related test data
• context menus without right mouse, colours in combo and list boxes… and other small stuff

For more details, see: https://accessusergroups.org/europe/event/access-europe-2023-01-04/

The meeting will again be held on Zoom. when the time comes, you can connect using: Join Zoom Meeting
I hope you will join us!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
The video of Karl Donaubauer's excellent presentation to Access Europe is now available on YouTube

Regarding example number 5:-
Subform used multiple times knows itself.

The name of the Subform/Subreport Control used in the example is misleading.

EDIT:-
It is misleading because it returns the name of the form contained within the Subform/Subreport Control when the Subform/Subreport Control was created. If the original form is replace with another, then the name returned would be incorrect. It would be safer to extract the name of the form from the the Subform/Subreport Control.

The code finds all the parent’s Subform/Subreport Controls "acSubfrm" and returns the name of the Subform/Subreport Control. Due to Microsoft's default of naming a new Subform/Subreport Control by the name of the Form/Report contained within it, you could be misled into thinking the object reported is a Form, where in fact the object is a Subform/Subreport Control "acSubfrm"

This problem can be avoided by renaming the automatically generated names of the Subform/Subreport Controls "acSubfrm" to follow a naming convention.

Using the Leszczynski naming convention

The Leszczynski prefix for a Subform is "fsub".
The Leszczynski prefix for a Form is:- "frm"
Note:- They are BOTH "identical" Form Objects, the different prefix is in regard to where they are used. A form prefixed with "fsub" is expected to be contained in a Subform/Subreport Control displayed on a form.

The recommended prefix for a Subform/Subreport Control is "sub"

Following the Leszczynski naming convention would return the Subform/Subreport Control name as:- "subfsubFormName"

An alternative prefix for a form destined to be a subform is:- "sfrm". Using this subform prefix would return the Subform/Subreport Control name as:- "subsfrmFormName" If you apply the “CamelCase” convention then the Subform/Subreport Control name would be:- "subSfrmFormName"

An alternative would be to use a custom naming convention for the Subform/Subreport Control. For example "subFrmWin" (meaning subform window) in this case the Subform/Subreport Control name would be:- "subFrmWinSfrmFormName"

Comment:-
The Microsoft automatic naming of Subform/Subreport Controls could be improved if it added the prefix "sub" to the form name extracted from the Subform/Subreport Control.

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
There are many conventions for naming forms & subforms.

Karl has chosen to use the form name frmContinuousForm followed by _sfrm and a suffix to demote the instance e.g. frmHorContinuous_sfrm04
Whilst I personally use frm & fsub, the important point is to be consistent and clear, which in my opinion, his approach is.

As Karl doesn't ever visit AWF, he won't ever see your opinions.
I suggest you make a comment on YouTube where he may see it and respond if he wishes to do so.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
There are many conventions for naming forms & subforms.

Hi Colin, In reading your comment I realised my post was not clear. I have made an edit to clarify my observations.

It's not about the naming convention, it's about Microsoft automatically generating the name of the Subform/Subreport Control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom