Access World Forums - Stats Update (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 13:32
I now understand why you were so apprehensive about making significant changes to AWF...

The damage done to UA by a botched upgrade is probably irreversible.
I don't know much about the Google, advertising, ranking, all that stuff.
But from the rest of it I tend to agree. I almost feel bad for UA, but they seem to have really wanted to follow a path of "doing it themselves", rather than going with more of a packaged solution. Now the threads containing reported bugs is filled with "We will get to this as soon as we can, we are stretched thin" type of stuff ..... It looks awful and is less functional, even from a Guest perspective when I try to poke around the boards, as I've done routinely for years (without logging in).
Jon I think you strike a wiser balance - I'm sure there is still PLENTY of work that you have to do, but you also leverage known, trusted platforms, which is smart. UA's move kind of looks like ego ruling wisdom and it didn't turn out so great.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:32
I cannot say why they went the route they did. But I presume once you do, its kinda like a one-way street.

They might still recover, only time will tell. I think they have a core of loyal users. It is just that they won't get many new people joining at this point in time.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:32
I've never looked at that link before. I see it lists everything you have been involved in. What benefit do you get from that?
It makes it easy to find "real" threads that I am involved in already that have reactions that I have not seen before...
Potential questions or answers from the OP .... or other ideas from fellow posters on the forum who may have other ideas or solutions than the solution I offered....

Reactions: Jon

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I cannot say why they went the route they did.
https://www.utteraccess.com/topics/2056394/posts/2739667

Regarding .NET work - I moved mostly away from Access myself a number of years ago into C# (winforms, WPF and ASP.NET), and since then have expanded into enterprise application development, mobile dev, react/vue/angular frontend, BI, etc.

Often, when I start becoming "good" at some technical platform or product, I have to fight the urge to start trying to use it for everything, even if it doesn't make sense, or there is something safer available for my company. Human nature.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:32
I had a quick 5 minute look at a React beginners tutorial today. I hear its all the rage nowadays.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The name certainly has a late-generation appeal. Give it a year.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:32
https://www.utteraccess.com/topics/2056394/posts/2739667

Often, when I start becoming "good" at some technical platform or product, I have to fight the urge to start trying to use it for everything, even if it doesn't make sense, or there is something safer available for my company. Human nature.
I find people want to use "high tech" and "new stuff" just because it is "better" or "newer", mostly the latter.
However nothing beats a good old excel sheet or a quick access db for a nice steady fast and cheap working solution.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 16:32
I find people want to use "high tech" and "new stuff" just because it is "better" or "newer", mostly the latter.
However nothing beats a good old excel sheet or a quick access db for a nice steady fast and cheap working solution.
Agreed

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom