ACL Surgery- What to expect (1 Viewer)

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Today, 11:30
Hi all,

Im scheduled Tuesday for ACL surgery on my right knee.

Was wondering if anyone had any tips for me and what i should be expecting as far as getting back into regular activities.. I googled it and found some responses, but interested to hear from you guys too.

Stupid me I looked up, on youtube, the surgery and freaked myself out a bit with the whole drilling in the bone thing... im sure i'll be fine though..

Thanks for the tips!

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone had any tips for me and what i should be expecting as far as getting back into regular activities.. I googled it and found some responses, but interested to hear from you guys too.

Stupid me I looked up, on youtube, the surgery and freaked myself out a bit with the whole drilling in the bone thing... im sure i'll be fine though..

Thanks for the tips!

I don't blame you for looking it up. I've done the same thing. I don't easily freak out from looking at such things though. lol

Good luck on your surgery and for a speedy recovery!

Local time
Today, 10:30
Wow, hope you get better soon. Pain is not a fun thing to endure.

rainman89

Local time
Thanks. Lets hope its not as bad as everyone says!

Matt

Local time
Today, 08:30
I had my ACL repaired 15 years ago. How fast you will recover really depends on your age and health. I was 30 and in fairly good shape. As I recall I had the surgery in early November and was back playing volleyball at almost my pre-surgery level in May. I was off of crutches before Christmas. The toughest part was trying to get on your feet the day after the surgery. After that everything seemed easier.

rainman89

Local time
Im 26 and was, pre injury, in good shape. Havent done anything in 2 months cuz of pain. But, Dr said 6 month minimum before I can play soccer again... Hoping physical therapy will speed that up alittle though.

Thanks for your input!

Matt

Local time
I pushed the envelope a little bit during my recovery. I started playing corporate softball in early April. Our league was a semi competetive beer league and they put me on first so I didn't have to run much. My physical therapist told me it wasn't a good idea. After the first two games the swelling was unacceptable and I had to go get my knee drained, but it seemed to really move things along, and the next month I was more or less full speed (but with a bulky brace on my knee). For reasons I've never understood ever since the surgery I've had trouble after playing soccer, but not basketball. They are both constant movement, lateral motion games. I'd have thought soccer, played on grass would be less damaging. It may be stress from kicking the ball is worse than the stress from impact.

2 years after the surgery I still wore the brace for skiing, but not much else. After 3 years I put it away for good.

Matt

Local time
Anterior Cruciate Ligament. If you feel the back of your knee its the cord running up/down. If you can't feel it (like me after the basketball incident in 1990) its probably busted.

rainman89

Local time
2 weeks out and it feels great. my physical therapist is impressed with how good i am doing.

Hoping for a much speedier recovery than others have had!

Matt

Local time
That's outstanding! Glad to hear everything is moving forward.

rainman89

Local time
Update on this...

Well I blew my knee again the first soccer game back after rehab... couldn't believe it....

If anyone is reading this and going through the same thing.. TAKE YOUR TIME and rehab the hell out of your knee.

Surgery again tomorrow and I'll be taking my time with this one!

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Wow, sorry to hear Ray. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and good rehab. Perhaps a brace is in order for a while even after you're cleared to play again, just in case. :)

harpygaggle

Registered User.
Local time
Is the surgery painful? What are the do and don'ts after ACL reconstruction?

Harrybrigham

Local time
Today, 15:30
Hi all,

Thanks for the tips!
I have had bilateral knee replacements. I sailed through without any trouble. I put this down to a lot of quadriceps exercises. This stabilises the joint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom